Best way to cook SW chips?

3106Catherine

Silver Member
As an avid red follower I have never had to cook these, but hubby to be has just started on plan and is doing EE so I need to rustle some of these up. I am a member so have access to the recipe, just wondered if anyone had any tips or tricks as often these things need a little tweaking to get spot on. Also it says to cook on baking parchment, could you cook on a rack over a baking tray?

Heya. Before I got my airfryer. I always did mine in the oven. So I sliced up my potato, par boiled for 10 mins. Then on to a pizza tray (the ones with the holes cause the airflow gets them crispier) then seasoned them. I love the ones with paprika and my OH loves the black pepper on his. Spray with frylight and cook until crisp turn and spray again halfway

Heya. Before I got my airfryer. I always did mine in the oven. So I sliced up my potato, par boiled for 10 mins. Then on to a pizza tray (the ones with the holes cause the airflow gets them crispier) then seasoned them. I love the ones with paprika and my OH loves the black pepper on his. Spray with frylight and cook until crisp turn and spray again halfway

I'm v tempted by the airfryer to be honest, I think there is something similar in aldi on offer this Thursday so might have a look. Do you literally just put stuff in with no oil and cook it?

I just simply chop up my potatoes, fry-light them, little bit of salt and pepper, and then they take about 20 minutes. Easy. No need to boil first (although this was how we were told to do them in class) - was recommended this way by a colleague about 5 years ago and never done it any other way since! :)

I boil mine for around 10 mins, put them on a tray (I do put baking parchment paper under them mostly because it is easier to clean the tray after and I am lazy lol) and spray with frylight and seasoning. Bake for around 30 mins, turning a couple of times.

After boiling, I drain the water out and add back to heat and make them sizzle and dry up the moisture a bit and shake them in the pan to "rough them up". I find this helps them crisp a bit on the outside.

I'm v tempted by the airfryer to be honest, I think there is something similar in aldi on offer this Thursday so might have a look. Do you literally just put stuff in with no oil and cook it?
You use your frylight on them. So you spray the piece where you put in your chips and then spray the chips and voila.

Personally I use the tesco olive oil spray its 1/2 syn for 5 sprays and I use 10-15 sprays but then I normally cook it between two or more so its still less than a syn for proper chipper chips. Like my oven ones looked the part but lacked that real chip taste. These ones are just perfect.

I used to par boil but forgot once and they turned out just as good. I line a tray with foil then spraylight it, add chips, season and cook. It's worth experimenting though to get them just how you like them.

Going to give them a whirl on Friday. Am doing him a burger, in hexb roll, sw burger, bacon, cheese (hexa) and an egg with SW chips - proper man food lol x

Don't forget to add some speed. Some fried onions or lettuce go great with those burgers. I have loads in my freezer so tastey

I havent tried the sw burgers yet, they're good then? Yeah He'll be having mushrooms, red onion and leeks in frylight :)

I started off parboiling them but they ended up a bit too boiled I think, so now I just throw them in the oven with some frylight and a twist of rock salt.... They are lovely and don't really take much longer than shop bought chips. They are free, so sometimes I just have a plate of sw chips as a snack in the evening or if I still have my b free then I have chip butty with ketchup and just syn the sauce and Marj.

I think I might do a trial run this evening. Do you season them before cooking? If so what with? x

Sorry to be a pain, but is there a particular frylight that is best for doing these? I have the olive oil one? Making them tonight and hubbby to be is sceptical so I need to make them good! x

The olive oil one will be fine, they taste really nice with the butter one.

I never par boil the chips and always try to use a good potato (maris piper, kind edwards, etc)

I Always make mine in this order:
Turn the oven on full
Spray a tray with frylight
Peel, cut and lay the chips out so none are touching each other
Check after 10 minutes, give them another spray
Check after 20 minutes, give them another spray
They should be done at around 30 minutes, give or take a little
I also never turn the chips as I find they tend to break up

The olive oil one will be fine, they taste really nice with the butter one.

I never par boil the chips and always try to use a good potato (maris piper, kind edwards, etc)

I Always make mine in this order:
Turn the oven on full
Spray a tray with frylight
Peel, cut and lay the chips out so none are touching each other
Check after 10 minutes, give them another spray
Check after 20 minutes, give them another spray
They should be done at around 30 minutes, give or take a little
I also never turn the chips as I find they tend to break up

Brill thanks ever so much. When you say turn oven on full, you're talking up to about 220 on an electric? x

I cook mine at 200. I also don't mind if they touch, we only have small baking trays.
I like to use baking potatoes, more chips, less peeling.

I always do mine in my Actifry and I make them round, leaving the skins on for more flavour and fibre.

Back