binge eating

Loser85

Gold Member
I seem to do this a lot. Most recently was yesterday lunchtime, had set out what i was going to have etc. Then just went mad for some reason. Totally ignored my plan as if it wasnt there. I dont just nibble either i totally gorge myself on crap.

Thing is who would i see to sort this?? Would it just be a case of visiting the doctor??

Really want to get this sorted as its ruining my diet :(

Oh and just before a binge i often get shakes etc. Almost like adrenaline.

I think the doctor would be a good place to start, maybe they can refer you to an expert. Good luck, I hope you manage to beat it.

It's a difficult one. The shakes make me wonder if you maybe have low blood sugar? Do you feel faint too?

What she says.

Do you think you leave too long a gap before eating? I find a banana or a bit of black pudding :eek: is a good instant fix for the shakes.

Black pudding!!!!!!

Blimey Woodmouse, that's giving me the shakes just reading it!

You must be made of stronger stuff (could be all that fresh Suffolk air). S'pose it's better than a Yorkshire pudding!

Pomooky XXX

Its not shakes as in hunger. Feels more like excitement if that makes sense?

I just feel if i can sort this or at least understand it then it might make my journey that wee bit easier.

I've suffered with binge eating disorder (still prolly do but pretty symptom free for the past few months). Do go and see your doctor. Mine was helpful and very kind - there wasn't a great deal she could do, really, but I was offered counselling (didn't take up) and I was placed on antidepressants with a dose for bulimics (I don't purge - hence the weight). Talking to the doctor did help and I think the pills helped break the cycle, although I no longer still take them as the other symptoms got too much.

I do know those shakes too, don't think it's blood sugar.
I tend not to have too much junk in the house as a general rule,but I do tend to shop for a binge as I have special foods - if I can feel one coming on I try to avoid the shops as much as I can.The feeling can last for up to a week though.

If you think you can face it, apparently overeaters anonymous can be helpful.
Good luck!

yup - overeaters anonymous is an option, though the 12-step/anonymous programmes don't suit everyione, not least because they hinge on a belief in a 'higher power'. Maybe worth a shot, though.

Otherwise, therapy provides the only real pathway out of Binge Eating Disorder at the moment. Usually CBT.

Good luck with it. eating disorders are tough.

I keep going on binges, and it's pure comfort eating in my case. When I'm feeling down or fed up, I binge.

I was going to say CBT may help. I'm currently attending a weight management course and as part of that we have the cognitive behavioural therapy and it is helping me a lot. Finding out what types of foods we are binging on are connected to different emotions and may also be connect to a past event. Obviously its not for everyone but its helping me. Hope you can get the help you need.

i sometimes binge, it always seems to be when i'm really focused though, it almost like a panic, i know i don't think straight again until i've finished the binge and then instantly regret it...

Have done well for a while but just had a binge, choccy cake, biscuits and a blt sandwich, its all because i didnt have a propper lunch before work, my own stupidity, hopefully i can get back to sensible eating

Why do we have to suffer these things?!

I try not to buy the bad food that i'll binge on but when it gets bad ive been known to chow dry weetabix. (!)

Have spoke to my GP and she seems to think my binging may calm down with my doing WW, that i'll get into a routine of sorts? Not sure im convinced but willing to try it anyways.

Re the shakes she seems to think its excitement, like my body gearing up for its next fix.

I also have to write down my feelings to see if this helps.

Binge eating is a really difficult habit to break. I used to binge eat when I got bored instead of being active. Recognising the triggers is the first step in breaking the cycle. A lot of the tricks and advice I found helpful in defeating that behaviour I got from Paul McKenna’s ‘I Can Make You Thin’ series.

The shakes your describing does sound a bit like withdrawal, and possibly excitement (maybe both). All eating disorders and bad eating behaviours are connected with emotions. Most are triggered by negative emotions, and some people find that food connected with positive emotions help chase the negative feelings away.

A diary of how you’re feeling at the time is a good idea. You may start to see a pattern. If that doesn’t help, you might find asking your doctor for counselling may help as well.

Back