Binge eating! !!

beauty is...

Oh my! I'm a serial binge eater trying super hard to stop. I've just been to asda and feel I'm right on the edge of eating the whole lot. So far I've had a small tub of zero fat cottage cheese, a good handful of wafer thin ham a digestive biscuit and a cheese string!!

I'm only on day 4 and terrifies I'm going to fail already!! Think I'll need to leave the house to get away from food!!

Anyone else in the same boat?

I also wonder... if binge eating on SW free food, am I still likely to see a loss? Ideally, I'd like to stop but wondered if eating huge amounts of free foods makes any difference.!

As a previous sufferer from binge eating disorder I can sympathise. One thing I will say is it does get easier as you unlearn these negative cycle habits.

In the interim if you must binge then you will do a lot less damage using free foods or, even better, speed foods to binge on. I often dip into the ham. Better than dipping into the biscuits or the Nutella (or worse both!!)

It's about recognising your natural full point and not going beyond this and also being sensible. Mullers may well be free but at 100kcal a pop or whatever they are of you ate 10 a day as snacks then this would harm your losses. As a binge eater I was so used to going waaaay beyond what was comfortable in terms of fullness it took me ages to recognise and I still sometimes have trouble!!

I think it's safe to say that the most of us who are overweight have this problem to one degree or another.. I, for one have a major problem once I have to go shopping trying to stay away from the choc or biscuit aisles and anything I do buy is often eaten all in one go!
It's a difficult one to solve but you can do it even if it's for a couple of weeks because then an indulgence wont cause too much harm to the pounds problem.

Thank you! It's such a struggle not giving in to the urges. I literally have an inner battle with myself!
I've had a big bowl of soup with a sandwich thin on phili and smoked salmon and a kiwi fruit. An hour later my head is back in the fridge looking for more. I know I'm not hungry but guess I'm used to filling up to the point of bursting. I had one of the kids chocolates to try and take the edge off. We will see....!

I love pickled onions. Beetroot too!

I was thinking of buying some of the flavoured instant coffee. It might curb the sweet cravings and feel a little bit indulgent too.

I've written today off. Just didn't cope well at all. Tomorrow is a new day!

Thanks for all the advice ☺

What every one else has said. If you HAVE to binge, binge on safe speed foods. Perhaps though, reassessing your reasons for wanting to lose weight would help. Not mid binge, but later when you make time for yourself. Think about all the things you don't like about being over weight. Without beating yourself up about it. Then think about what it will be like when you have reached a size you are happy with.

We all have days like that, that's why we are here. I have moved on from a binge that's lasted nearly two years. I know what personal circumstances triggered it, in my case eating blots out the bad feelings. Perhaps you have painful thoughts you don't want to experience? If so - gentle hugs - would anything else help you cope with them?

Just to add too, I had a course of hypnotherapy. It's not for everyone but it certainly helped me deal with the underlying issues.

You need to get to the bottom of why you are binge eating. Is it boredom,home life,something which happened to you years ago. When you go to do it stop and think why am I doing this.
Years ago I used to binge eat and the only reason was just because the food was there. Now the food is no longer in my house I can't binge.:)

I think it's a mixture of things to be honest. Partly habbit now. I have a good home life though wasn't always happy so that can contribute. Being home alone is a big trigger which I've only noticed in the last couple of weeks. Its taken a long long time to figure that out!!
I need to prepare myself with things to keep me occupied if my OH goes out at night. My littlest one starts nursery soon so I'll need a strategy for in the day too!I seem to have some sort of control for the time being, but who knows how long that will last!!
Thank you for the advice! X

I'm home alone tonight. As I've mentioned before, this is a high risk time for my binge eating. So to prepare, I've made a 1/2 syn cake as a safety blanket, knowing that if I demolish the lot, I'll not do too much damage!

Conversely, though, I have no desire to binge. Its a funny ol' world!

That's a good idea actually. I tend to do nothing in the evenings. Once the kids are in bed all I really want to do is watch TV!
Some nights I've been batch cooking, which helps.

What about adult colouring books or go to the charity shop and find some books to read. You can read and watch tv at same time. I find just sat watching tv doesn't do it for me. I feel bored. I knit so I do a couple of rows of that or I'm forever on internet looking up ideas for the garden or dinners I could cook. :)

I struggle with binge eating so normal try and find ways to distract myself. Have you tried adult colouring, I find that really good. I also find it really theraputic as normal my binge eating is associated with emotional stuff X

It's been an issue for me in the past too. I always found making sure I have lots of free food to grab helped and eventually fell out of the cycle. Questioning why you want to eat and understanding what triggers it also is very helpful for me. As is asking myself what I expect to get out of it. Good luck xx

I think it's a mixture of things to be honest. Partly habbit now. I have a good home life though wasn't always happy so that can contribute. Being home alone is a big trigger which I've only noticed in the last couple of weeks. Its taken a long long time to figure that out!!
I need to prepare myself with things to keep me occupied if my OH goes out at night. My littlest one starts nursery soon so I'll need a strategy for in the day too!I seem to have some sort of control for the time being, but who knows how long that will last!!
Thank you for the advice! X
Come on here at night and natter to buddies - sat alone while baby is asleep is a finger strummer, I would think? Paint your nails :) I have been a woeful binge eater - I did have a panic when I saw the unlimited free foods aspect of SW - I did worry it was re-enforcing the behaviour I was trying to avoid slipping back into. However, am pleased to report after endlessly chowing this week, I now am stopping when I finally feel full.
Also, as you head for the fridge, just stop and ask yourself out loud - 'why am I doing this?'...... don't wait till you ve loaded up the plate and are bingeing - at that stage, you will just berate yourself - ask yourself why you are doing it and answer yourself - it's the only place you will find the answer. And don't let yourself off with 'I don't know' because deep down, we all pretty much know, even if we have successfully buried the reason and have to do a bit of digging to bring it back into the open and deal with it.

Don't shop hungry - take your books with you - and quit with the chocolate - no one needs it - not you, not your little one. I remember that little chocolate treat as a reward on occasion when I was a little child. How quickly that inner child comes to associate chocolate with comfort in adult life...... xx Good luck, its a hell of a demon to conquer, but you ve had the courage to share on here so find some more courage and next time the binge demon starts calling your name, tell it where to go :):) xx

Just to add too, I had a course of hypnotherapy. It's not for everyone but it certainly helped me deal with the underlying issues.

Hi
Sorry to jump onto this thread ... But sooo interested in your hypnotherapy!!! Did you have a one off session or did you need a number of sessions? X

Back