Bleeding Gums, Yuck!

kazclogs

Hi everyone!

On week six now, lost 22 pounds and am still doing away on SS (despite planned break freak out blip last week).

As the days go on I've noticed that my gums are very prone to bleeding (definately a new problem since starting CD). Not just a wee bit when I brush my teeth but spontaneusly during the day and badly enough to need to apply pressure with a tissue :confused: I am well hydrated and looking over my oral health, using mouthwash to try to combat the death breath and brushing regularly.

It a bit yucky and can make me feel nauseous at times and is definately getting worse.

Anyone with the same problem or a theory?

K x

Not something I've heard of in relation to cambridge. Have you tried corsodyl mouth wash for gum disease?

Aww that must be of great discomfort to you. No, I've not heard of that side effect I must say...if it is related to the CD. What has your CDC said...have they heard of it before in conjuction with a LCD? BTW great work on your weight loss! x

Wonder if it's a Vitamin K deficiency? That can happen on Cambridge, despite Vit K being added to our shakes, because many of us are used to having more Vit K in our normal diet, so our bodies feel as though they're not getting enough (that's why some of us notice we're getting bruised more than usual).

I think you can get Vit K supplements from the chemist (but I'm not sure).

hi K
your not alone ive noticed this too, cant say that i have it at random times of the day but definatelty when i brush my teeth - the only other time ive had bleeding gums has been whe im pregnant ( def not that this time lol)
ive got dentists tomorrow and was goign to ask him about it, ill let you know what he says
V x

Wonder if it's a Vitamin K deficiency? That can happen on Cambridge, despite Vit K being added to our shakes, because many of us are used to having more Vit K in our normal diet, so our bodies feel as though they're not getting enough (that's why some of us notice we're getting bruised more than usual).

I think you can get Vit K supplements from the chemist (but I'm not sure).

That explains all my mysterious bruises then...

Omg, i always get loads of bruises when on vlcd and had no idea why. Thank you for clearing that up.

Sorry to hijack this post lol.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Symptoms of Vitamin K Deficiencies [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vitamin K is known to be needed to coagulate blood and to maintain proper bone density. It plays a key role in proper development of the fetus. Deficiencies of vitamin K have been linked to:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heavy menstrual bleeding*
Gastrointestinal bleeding
Hematuria (blood in the urine)
Nosebleeds
Eye hemorrhages
Anemia
Gum bleeding
Prolonged clotting times
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Easy bruising

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]found this and thought i'd share.
[/FONT]

Googled that aswell this morning lol. Apparently 2 spoons of parsley give you 150% of the RDA of Vitamin K so it doesn't take much, could add abit to your soups even each day to give you a little boost.

good minds think alike KK lol.

Krissykat said:
Googled that aswell this morning lol. Apparently 2 spoons of parsley give you 150% of the RDA of Vitamin K so it doesn't take much, could add abit to your soups even each day to give you a little boost.

Thank for this ladies, I'm new to CD so it's always good to have tips! I think I'll start putting some parsley in the soups just to make sure xx

Brush your teeth meticulously despite the bleeding as not brushing will perpetuate your problem. ;)

Bacteria in the mouth (plaque) sticks to the sides of the teeth just above the gum (at the junction between the tooth and the gum). If it doesn’t get removed (by brushing the gum line and flossing) after about 24 hours it causes a local inflammatory response in the gum around the tooth. (Inflamed gums).
An inflammatory response is the body’s way of trying to remove infection (ie bacteria) which could be harmful. The body is trying to deliver immune cells to the infected area (ie the side of the tooth) via the blood stream to fight infection – and this is the key- in order to deliver these cells the inflamed site produces extra blood vessels in the area which make the gum spongy, swollen and fragile: one touch with a toothbrush and it starts to bleed.
It gets worse: the swelling of the gum traps that plaque under the gum and hides the true cause from the patient. And because the plaque is on the tooth surface it is beyond reach of the immune system so the situation becomes worse and worse unless the plaque is physically removed.
The final nail in the coffin is that the patient thinks they are harming the gums by brushing too hard and stops brushing the area altogether – which is the exact opposite of what needs to be done to fix the problem!

Oh that's so interesting! I'll definately give the parsley a go and see if it helps.

Also be interested to hear what your dentist said Biscuit, I've got an appointment with mine next week for a check up and am worried about knocking her out with my horrific dragon death breath vapours! :eek:

Thanks, everyone! :D

I read on another forum it's due to the viscosity change in our blood that occurs when on a vlcd. I've also noticed my gums have felt sore recently, but not bled as yet.

Mine bleed all the time, as mentioned before it herlps if you give the gums a good brush, even if it makes it bleed. My dentist told me to stop paying for corsydol as a 20p value toothbrush will help more - and he was right!

Interesting as mine have done the same, and don't get me started on bruises I resemble a 4 year old on my shins lol :)

Will try the parsley too x

Tks for the dental info rachele but tbh I feel quite sick thinking all that may be going on in people's mouths including my own :eek:

Back