Blood pressure fixes?

BeckyBunny

I'm due to have an operation on my ankle in 9 days. My blood pressure was 124/90 the last time they did it 2 weeks ago. The doctor says the bottom number is a little high but still within the normal range so wouldn't want to give me any medication for it. The hospital on the other hand were really rude and went on about how because I am "morbidly obese" and have a very high bmi I will have to be an in patient rather than a day case because I will "break the beds" in the day case unit! This I understood even if the woman made me feel like sh*t when she said it but she also said that if my blood pressure (bottom number) is 90 or over on the day they won't operate as it is considered against hospital policy! I have been waiting for this op since October last year and can't afford to have it cancelled now. She told me to get blood pressure medication from my GP and I explained that my GP refused to prescribe them as he thought it was unnecessary. So they've just said I've got to wait and see on the day what the reading is! Stress! I'm going to stick to the diet as usual to see if losing a couple more pounds in that time will make a difference but does anyone know any other tips for lowering blood pressure in a short space of time?

Just try to chill on the day. Some people suffer from the White coat effect. It's basically where your bp goes up just cuz your stressed about being around drs in hospital xx

I don't know about you but punching the rude bi!ch at the hospital would relieve me of some blood pressure!

Them stressing you out like that won't help, I can't believe they said that! Just try and stay calm as I don't think there's a short term fix, good luck with the operation x

Go to your GP and ask for a letter to say he has monitored your blood pressure and you don't require medication
If it's high on the day just explain you have been worrying
As for the nurse who was rude explain to her if you see her she should be careful that what she says may be construed as discrimination against you
You can have high blood pressure and be underweight

I have struggled with my blood pressure. Never had medication for it and it is now normal. Cut out all salt and processed food (baked beans, tomato ketchup, pasta and sauce etc) and also alcohol if you drink any. It took 2 weeks for mine to go to under 120/80, but if you just need to get it below /90 it's easy to do.

Oh and don't stress! Easier said than done, I know...

Shirleen said:
I don't know about you but punching the rude bi!ch at the hospital would relieve me of some blood pressure!

I'm with you Shirleen. Shocking behaviour from someone who is supposed to be in a caring profession. In fact, just shocking behaviour in general. I would be tempted if your op does not go ahead to make a complaint about her.

I have struggled with my blood pressure. Never had medication for it and it is now normal. Cut out all salt and processed food (baked beans, tomato ketchup, pasta and sauce etc) and also alcohol if you drink any. It took 2 weeks for mine to go to under 120/80, but if you just need to get it below /90 it's easy to do.

Oh and don't stress! Easier said than done, I know...

Just wanted to add that it's not that easy! I lost 3 stone, don't have processed food, don't take extra salt, don't drink alcohol, exercise regularly and my bp is very high without medication. 144/95 before they sort out my pills.

don't want to alarm the OP but did want to say that sometimes bp is high for reasons that can not be controlled by diet/weight/exercise.

Beckybunny - easy to say, but try to relax on the day, nice easy breaths, try not to get anxious, maybe take some Bachs Rescue Remedy. This is what I take when I can feel my bp rising due to stress.

Good luck hun.

She sounds like a jumped up twit who doesn't know what she's talking about and could do with a letter to the PCT! :mad: It's BS about not operating on a BP over x/90!!! Anaesthetists can control a BP FFS, that kind of thing is the whole point of their job! If it was sky high (like a diastolic of 100 to 110 or something) there might be risks for elective surgery, but 90? Its borderline - and nothing more! She also should know better than to judge BP on a single reading. Did she even have the right cuff on?

You cant change your BP that soon, but if it will ease your mind to feel you're doing something to avoid any acute blips just avoid salt/foods high in it, caffeine, alcohol and stress (!) prior to admission. The best thing you can do is chill out and forget this idiot!

Seriously, I worked in medicine for several years and cannot imagine this will be a problem. I think she's a blustering idiot. Was she a nurse or admin or what? If this sort of thing ever became 'hospital policy' I can only imagine it as a budget-saving exercise, to defer having to deal with a proportion of patients in the cuts, but I can't seriously imagine it's true, I think she's confused her numbers somewhere, assuming anything above a 'normal' 120/80 is 'high'.

Last edited:
Also, Given that high BP is often related to obesity it makes you wonder how they ever perform a gastric bypass if this is in fact hospital policy!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. To be honest I think the woman was mental. She did the blood pressure with the wrong cuff to start with and it was 180 over 110! I nearly died because I knew it had never been that high! I didn't know there were different cuff sizes and it was only when my mum mentioned it and told me to go back in that they re did it and got the other reading. My GP did two further readings and got the same result so it looks like the 2nd result is def the accurate one. It doesn't help that I'm terrified of needles and operations so I hope it doesn't spike up in the day of the op. Just really not looking forward to getting a lecture again about my weight or seeing funny looks on the faces of the op team when they have to move me across the tables. Hate feeling like they're all judging me.

She did the blood pressure with the wrong cuff to start with and it was 180 over 110!

I knew it! :eek: I rest my case, dont stress, she's talking out of her arse... :)

Back