Bloody traffic, bloody police ~ a caution to you all !

pandora

finding my way again !
I had to do a compulsory update at work this morning.
due to start at 9.30 am, normally it takes me 7 mins to get to work, but thats at 8.30pm. So i know the traffic will be heavier so give myself 1/2 hour to get there, find a parking space & get to the appropriate training room. I'm almost there & the traffic is heavier than i anticipated & i'm bordering on going to be late, so i decide to whip up the bus lane, loads of people do it, but today as i come round the bend there are loads of police, i immediatly think accident so make moves to get back into the main traffic. No, the police man waves me up to him & tells me to get out the car. Bugger, i've now been fined £30 for driving in a bus lane & cautioned for breaking 2 laws ~ i didn't know it was law to carry your insurance, mot cert & licence on you at all times.
bugger, :cry:
be ware, sort out your documents & put them in your car/ handbag !!

I am sorry to say that is the fixed penalty for driving in a Bus lane, we dont make the law we just enforce it, and yes it is a legal requirment to carry your driving licence and insurance documents with you at all times, Obviously dont leave them in the vehicle when its unattended.

So what if I keep my papers in the car but don't carry a bag with me? That means I'd have to keep hold of them all the time I'm not in my car? Bit of a nuisance that!

I carry my licence on me at all times as a general form of identification. When I got pulled for speeding the policeman said it was OK to not have insurance information but I had to present it at the local station within 7 days I think.

Mike

hubby said i shouled have played the "i'm a nurse i need to get in the hospital quickly " card.
Allan ~ when did it become law to carry your documents with you, most people don't seem to know this ? & as mrs d says, at risk of them being nicked if you leave them in the car, i might put them under the spare tyre or similar, not glove box
:mad:

I carry my licence on me at all times as a general form of identification. When I got pulled for speeding the policeman said it was OK to not have insurance information but I had to present it at the local station within 7 days I think.

Mike

:D It`s called a producer for minor traffic offences, we are going like America with the insurance, you would not believe the amount of drivers without insurance cover on the roads today.

Can you not still do the producing your documents within 7 days then ???

I had to attend a speed awareness course on sat ........!

i had my licence card on me, just not the paper bit ( god only knows where that is) or my mot or insurance. Nice plod said he was sure my docs would be fine & let me off producing them ~ had initially asked me to do so , then changed his mind after having done a PNC check.
xx

I always thought you had to produce documents in 7 days,
I do carry my plastic licence card though.

I did'nt know u had to carry them with u, i do now, thanks for the info.

linda.

Yes producers are still 7 days, i`m just consulting the road traffic act to find out about documentation, its says ` within seven days after the date on which the production of the certificate or other evidence was required, it has to be produced at a police station that was specified at the time when its production was required.s.165.s171 of the road traffic act1988, this places a requirement on the owner of the vehicle to give such information as required by the police at the time the offence was commited`. It has been ammended recently to include the conveyance of documentation but i dont have it to hand at the moment, i will find out when i`m on duty tomorrow.

Hmmmm this is a good point to bring up as I dont know anyone who carries insurance documents etc with them.

well after a long chat with traffic branch today, it appears the 7 day producer is still in for now, However the Secretary of State and the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau ) are pushing for all drivers to carry all documents whilst in a vehicle, This is to quickly establish the drivers identity and the owner of the vehicle, this may not be the same person, ANPR can tell us if a car is insured or not, however a lot of people do not always give us the correct information if an offence has been commited. So in short just carry your Driving licence for now and keep an eye on the news for new legislation.

thanks Allan, please don't take the "bloody police " bit personally i was just hacked off, i know he was only doing his job
xx

In my force we would issue a HORT1 (producer) and that gives the person 7 days to take your documents into the station.
We haven't been made aware of any changes to that but I guess we have to be mindful that not all Forces are in sync with their policies and procedures.

I am surprised that you were cautioned about not carrying them with you, you could ask under freedom of information what your particular Forces policy is on this?

K xxx

well after a long chat with traffic branch today, it appears the 7 day producer is still in for now, However the Secretary of State and the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau ) are pushing for all drivers to carry all documents whilst in a vehicle, This is to quickly establish the drivers identity and the owner of the vehicle, this may not be the same person, ANPR can tell us if a car is insured or not, however a lot of people do not always give us the correct information if an offence has been commited. So in short just carry your Driving licence for now and keep an eye on the news for new legislation.

I entirely understand the probs of people giving false info when they're pulled over. This effectively puts some people beyond the reach of the law, wheareas the more lawabiding get caught in the net. However if fraud & personal data theft is the rising terror we are supposed to believe,then to keep all your documents together in the vehicle, or when you've parked the car,we assume they're in yur bag/pocket.

what joy to a thief! a full house of matching documents. I for one will not be foolhardy enough to comply if/when the regulations change.

Our force issue the Hort1 too. Very often if a driver is stopped the cops dont even bother issuing one, if they check the vehicle out on the PNC it (should) show the Insurance details on that, they can also do a driver enquiry which instantly brings up the drivers licence details. We're finding these checks are being done SO much more now than before, its easier for everyone concerned. So producing your documents isnt even necessary a lot of the time.

I never carry my docs with me, they stay filed away at home.

Id be wary of the 'nurse' excuse tho ;) Most traffic cops are renouned for the fact theyd charge their granny (or any other family member if it came to it) and dont let you off for any kind of excuse lol

Id be wary of the 'nurse' excuse tho ;) Most traffic cops are renouned for the fact theyd charge their granny (or any other family member if it came to it) and dont let you off for any kind of excuse lol

:D Thats why they are nicknamed the BLACK RATS by other bobbies, because they eat thier own:D An old inspector once told me that you can do one of two things, Pay the fine, or smile and pay the fine ;)

Back