BMI chart

xxAmandaxx

Looser :)
Firstly would like to express my hatred to the person who invented the bMI chart, obese, overweight, morbidly obese, well at the moment i'm classed as morbidly obese, I think in the dictionary that word means something along the lines of discusting which is just wrong and shouldn't be used to describe someones weight. Any way my point being i'm 18.5stone and the moment, I want to get down to about 14 stone.. According to my doctor, I will be at a great weight for my frame etc etc.... And I know for a fact if I get to 14stone I will be over the moon, (ain't been 14st since I was 15) but the stupid ass bmi chart said I will still be over weight. Do many of you actually go by this chart or your own goal's. I find this a bit disheartening going that its the weight I want to be.

well at the moment i'm classed as morbidly obese, I think in the dictionary that word means something along the lines of discusting

I don't think it does ;)

It's just a medical term to describe the bracket a persons weight is in relationship to their height. It's not a derogatory term, just a medical one. Rather like cold/flu/pneumonia

I know some people don't like the term obese, but it never bothered me, and I prefered the doctor to say that rather than 'very fat.'

The chart defining obese, morbidly obese, underweight etc aren't really set in stone anyway. Doctors will use common sense (hopefully). If you are a body builder, you would probably come under the term obese, but wouldn't be, so it's kind of flexible.

I have a large frame (size 9 shoe; was size 11 before I lost weight), big head :D big hands and wrists etc. And quite muscular (genetic and ex sportswoman). So, I aimed for the top end of the healthy scale.

There's a lot of leeway in each bracket to accomodate people.;)

So, as I say, not a derogartory term, just one to define that a person is well above the weight that's usually considered healthy for a person of that height.

BTW, keep an open mind when it comes to your goals. I remember thinking I would never get under 13 stone. Hadn't been under that for decades, and had 'big bones'.

But you know, when I got there, I knew I still had plenty of fat to go and would have fooled myself thinking otherwise.

With diets such as LT/LL and Cambridge, you pretty much get to chose your weight within reason. I was surprised to see that I did infact look and feel better in the healthy bracket. Something that I had never even thought possible.

So take it day by day and experiment to see where the diet takes you :)

I agree, i have lowered my target weight as i feel that i can be smaller and never would have thought that before!, also apparently if your cup size is over a D it makes your BMI inaccurate, when i started LT my cup size was FF and nearly 5 stone down it still is, so id say there is some truth there, go by how you feel and what clothes you can get into, not charts, hope this helps, good luck

i generally despise the BMI system! and when i get to my goal of 11stone, i will still be overweight. i figure that if i can get to 11 stone and maintain it for a year, i can work on dropping into healthy, but rather than slogging myself stupid to get to 9 stone something from 22stone i'm gonna do it my way. (i feel a song coming on..) lol.

i know for a fact that if i'm 11stone, my doctor isn't going to care about the missing stone or two as its a case of becoming healthier, not slotting into the right box.

Sxxx

My LT chemist has recommended an initial goal weight of 12stone for me. that puts me right at the bottom of overweight - I would still like to be 'healthy'!. However, I'm taking each pound at a time and deciding myself when to stop.

Good luck - and dismiss those damn charts !! just be and feel healthy.

Caren. xx

Hi Hun,

Morbidly obese does not mean disgusting but it certainly makes us feel like that or it suggests that is is disgusting. So I totally agree with you on that part. They could have maybe phrased it differently.

I also hate the BMI chart but I have to go by that. I was refused fertility treatment because my BMI was 34.7 and it needed to be below 30. So my first goal is to get down to the safe BMI of 29.

I think the weight you are aiming is how you will feel heathy and look good. The guidelines however are more strict. If I was you, I would go by what would make me feel comfortable and look great.

Dont think of it too much :)

Last edited:
Hi Amanda,
Hope you are ok. I started this diet at 20 stone 5lb and according to BMI I should be 9 and a half stone, I can't see that happening. That is not a defeatest attitude but just not where I see myself. I have decided to come off LT in 3 weeks time and then refeed and maintenance as well as joining a slimming club. I am currently 14 stone 13 and a half pounds and already twice as healthy as I was 4 months ago. I do aim to keep lowering my weight and toning up, I have at least an extra stone in excess loose stomach muscle tone alone that just hangs there. The reason I am coming off earlier than I aimed for originally (which was 12 stone) is because of lack of energy and needing energy for exercise and toning. I am happy to go on sight and how I feel than adhere to a BMI.
Wishing you all the best, once you see the weight coming off you will know when you are happy to stop.
Doirin

I tell myself that 'morbidly obese' is a clinical, medical term and that helped me deal with actually being 'morbidly obese'. I actually thought or referred to myself as being 'very overweight'.

Interestingly, one friend didn't believe that morbidly obese was anything other than somebody about 25stone plus so still doesn't believe that with my BMI of 44 i was morbidly obese (perhaps cos that would also make her morbidly obese ;))

Anyhoo. my goal was 11 stone originally, so i would get into a healthy BMI weight - but that was because i absolutely had *no* idea what i'd look or feel like as i got slimmer - i needed some kind of pointer towards what would be healthy. I've lowerd my goal by half a stone and, who knows, maybe will lower it further - i'm going to see how i look and feel as i get there. That works for me, it may work for you, it may not!

Good luck but don't get too stressed about what your goal is just yet - whatever it is, on LT you can and will get there!

Yes the BMI is evil and i think people should get to a weight they are happy with that they feel is right for their frame rather than losing evem more pounds to fit in with statistics.

Some people may argue differently, but I believe body fat percentage is far more important than BMI, as it is generous with the range. 22-33% is considered healthy and acceptable and lowers the risk of all weight related conditions. Myself to be honest is shocked with my body fat percentage as it is lower than what I thought at 27.6% yet im still overweight.

So some people can be heavy because they are carrying lots of lean tissue!

Anyway you go to a weight you feel comfortable at hun, the stupid ass bmi chart means nothing as long as you are feeling happy. :) xx

Im 5 ft 8 , a shoe size 7-8 (depends on shop) , my hands are like shovels and like ive previously mentioned , i have the bone structure of a dinosaur, broad hips and shoulders. My elder sister is 5ft 9 , very slim (straight up and down) dainty feet ,hands etc...
Years ago my weight watchers leader told me there was no such thing as big boned!!! Well i beg to differ!!
How can each and every one of us fit into the magic catergories these charts dictate. Fair enough , they can give us a rough idea , but to stress about facts and figures is not ideal.
I know im never going to fit in a size 8 (i wore size 8 nappies at birth lol!!) Im being realistic , and know if i can get into size 12/14 im about right for my height and build (around 11/11.7 stone in weight).
Good luck with your journey everybody....big hugs xxxxx

Hey Amanda

Yeah the BMI is a horrible 'one size fits all' chart which doesn't allow for any indivdual differences we have. A friend of mine is a doctor who works with the British Lions team. According to the BMI every rugby player who represents Britain is obese!! Well... I can't see any of them at weight watchers anytime soon!

He says the submersion tank *shudder* and measuring the size of your wrists are far more accurate in calculating what weight you should be. Apparently our wrists are one place that don't collect a lot of fat and so it's a true measure of our 'big-bonedness'. If you have tiny wrists you have a smaller frame etc etc...

Anyway... I'm rambling here. My main point is that I think it's fan-blinking-tastic that you've decided on a weight you'll be happy with and SOD the BMI. You go for it and I KNOW you'll get there!

xxx

I think people perceive obese to be a lot bigger than it actually is, when I told my friends I'd crossed from 'obese' to 'overweight' they were like, "nah, you were never anywhere near obese..."

My goal weight is based on where I know I'll be a size 12 & for my build I think that's about appropriate, although, I have been considering lowering it recently, to be on the smaller side of a size 12 at least as there are some problem areas I don't see disappearing with the next 2 stone, though, that may be more to do with exercise... Anyway, I think a lot of people alter their goal as they realise it's doable. But ultimately, you know where you feel comfortable & you'll still be considerably healthier at 14 stone than your current weight. So I wouldn't worry about the labels too much! You can always move your goals if appropriate.

Good luck!!!

Hannah

I`m not even thinking of the bmi chart im just going to see how i feel when i get down to what ever weight that im comfortable with.... on the bmi chart i was just under being morbidly obese and every1 i know has said they thought that it was around the 20stone mark 4 that to be the case (i was 13st 7lb).. so i wouldnt take notice of the chart as we are all individuals and cannot be the same.. just go with how comfortable you feel and see how it goes xx good luck hun xx

To me morbidly obese means you are at greater risk of shortening your life coz of your weight and I was told it was anyone with a BMI over 40 (me when I started last year) It was seeing it written on the screen in my GP's room that finally made me realise that I wasn't just overweight but needed to do something about it.

My goal weight is quite a low BMI even though I started at a G cup and even at my lowest I was still an E and have a medium frame. My friends say it is too low but I felt happier at it, especially as I carry my weight round my stomach and I have to get that low to shift it.

x

Hi
I also think that the BMI Charts are a generalisation. What is right for 1 person may not be right for the next person. I think far too much emphasis is placed on them, not only for adults but for children too! We all know how we want to look when we're finished. Good Luck to each and Every one!:D

Personally I think the BMI chart works really well for me. When My BMI hits 25 - I just feel and look healthier - and people always compliment me more. It might not work for everyone - but I think it is a good guide for most people.

It is surprising how quickly you move down the BMI scale, and i think many people who move down realise that their healthy BMI is realistic the closer they get to it.

At the end of the day everyone has to be happy in their own skin, and being healthy is kind of important!

They say that a waist measurement of more than 35 inches in women is unhealthy, so if you don't like BMI, then maybe aim for the waist measurement of under 35.

BMI 23 ish usually suits me good.

I think thats why the green ranges from 19 to 24.9 so that everyone can find a happy medium inbetween there.

:) good luck everyone xx

i hate the word obese and the word fat why do we have to be classified???? i'm 5ft 7 and my weight range is from 9.5 stone to 11 stone. personally i think 9.5 stone would make look too thin (not that i've ever been that lol) around 10.5 to 11 stone usually suits me fine not been that for at least ten years though fingers crossed here's hoping i can stick this out.....

Hi,

Before I started this time on LT I was classed as overweight, I am nearly 6ft tall & weighed 13 stone 10 - size 14 - 16. My BMI was somewhere near 28. I am going to try & aim for my ideal weight for height which using same charts is 11stone 5. Now I havent seen this weight since my teens.....I am giving myself 8 weeks to get there & if it doesnt happen it means I am not supposed to be that thin period.

Whilst on computer one evening I was looking for ideal weight for height etc & one site stated it should be 10stone 9, I could not believe that as I am large framed, it was an outrageous weight for someone this tall.

I think that yes maybe the wording could be better as it makes you feel rubbish when thought of as being obese, overweight etc - I really believe it is how you feel that counts, I lost 3 stone a few years ago & was in the obese catorgory & ever since been overweight - in my head though I felt amazing just because I lost so much to get to the point where I felt better about myself - not what the BMI chart said about me.

LT is very much mind over matter so as your weight decreases your confidence will grow & the most important thing is you are doing something about it - so try not to think too much about the charts for now, look forward to the scales.

Regards

Clare xx

Back