BMI v reality

JaxieD

Silver Member
Just wondering what your thoughts are? According to BMI the Upper weight i should be for my height (5'4") is 10st 4lbs or so. I am currently around 12 and half stone so therefore need to lose over 2 stone to be in my healthy range. However in my humble opinion i think that i would be very slim at this weight as the last time i lost weight i got down to 11 and half stone and was really slim. Don't wanna look like a scrag bag:eek: either so am debating whether to go down that low or not. Maybe i'm just copping out coz it would be nice to think i have less than 2 stone to lose instead of more. To be honest am struggling at the mo for the first time:cry:in over 7 weeks but hoping that it is just my TOTM coming up.
Hope you're all behaving yourselves!!:p

i am also 5ft 4in and am aiming for 11 1/2 stone which my doctor said would be a sensible weight. this would put my BMI at 27 outside the "normal" range.

I'm 5ft 4in and aiming towards 9 stone, I loved being that!!! Last time I stepped on the scales and weighed 9 stone was 10 years ago!!!

Good luck with whatever goal you set yourself! X

Im 5 foot 6 and im aiming for 10 and halfish but if i look ok at 11 ill be fine as thats just touching my normal BMI

im aiming for 12st, but would stil be unhealthy and im 5ft8! doc says she wants me 16-17st!

hi i'm just doing this until the wobbily bits stop jigging around when i'm up and about.
i'll stop when my face starts to looks gaunt (not a pretty sight)
my ideal weight at 5' 2" and theres no way i can get down into the 8stones

hi i'm just doing this until the wobbily bits stop jigging around when i'm up and about.
i'll stop when my face starts to looks gaunt (not a pretty sight)
my ideal weight at 5' 2" and theres no way i can get down into the 8stones
Hehe!! Like that:D. Don't know if my wobbly bits are ever gonna go- am gonna end up with the saggiest belly around. I'll be able to flap it around if i get to 10 1/2 stone. I'll have to iron myself every morning with all the loose skin around after years of yoyo dieting

great thread, i am only 5.1 so am above my healthy weight but to be totally honest i am now sick fed up of EVERYBODY telling me not to loose anymore as i already look thin, i kind of agree as i am in a size 10-12 on the bottom and a 12 on top and i feel and look fine so am happy where i am although as i have come this far i cannot help wondering what it would be like to be my goal which was when i started CD 9.7 stone that was at the very top end of healthy for me and just into BMI of 25. I have put it up to 10 stone now but i do battle with myself all the time I currently weigh 10.5 stone i need to amend my ticker by 2lb.

I am 5' 5", and when I weighed 12 stone I looked I felt great, and think I looked ok too. I was a size 12 then. I now weigh just shy of 14stone so 12 is my first goal, then I will consider going to 11. I cant imagine being any smaller, but who knows when I get there??

I'm 5'3 and I set my target at 10 stone which is the top end of the healthy BMI. I'm now 11 stone 5lb and to be honest don't think I will be happy with myself at 10 stone so may decide to go down to 9.5 stone. I'm a size 16 now and would like to be a 12 not sure losing 19lb will make me drop 2 dress sizes.

Anyway I will decide nearer my intial target.

I'm 5' 5.5" and started this diet at 18st 4lbs with a BMI of almost 42. I have set myself an initial goal of 13st, which will just get me into the overweight range with a BMI of just under 30. My reasons were that i couldnt contemplate losing more than 5 stone at that time. Its been a long time since i've been 13stone or anywhere near that so i'm quite happy to wait & see how i feel when i get there. To get to healthy BMI i need to be between 10 & 11 stone and maybe when i get to 13 I'll want go that bit further and if i do i've already decided that i'll continue with CD to get me there. If not i'll start working up the steps when i get to 13 stone.
So its certainly a case for me of seeing how i feel when the time comes, i just find it so hard right now to envisage myself and how i'll potentially look 5 stone lighter than at the outset.

I am 5'4" and currently weigh about 11.7. Have been ss for 10 days and lost 14lb's. Still feel really flabby and just fitting into my Next size 16 jeans. I do look better but wouldn't be happy swanning around a communal changing room. I think it does depend on your build. I have set my target at about 9.7/10 stone ish and will see how I feel from there. It is a manageable target. It would be nice to sprinkle myself with magic weight loss pixie dust and be a size 8 but it isn't going to happen and I know it is a slow process but in 10 days I look better and I am sticking to the plan. One day at a time!

I think we just have to assess for ourselves what is right as we go along. I dieted myself down to 9st 11 (5ft 9) BMI 20.2 a long way back in an attempt to reach the elusive size 10. I still took size 14 trousers & looked like I had a terminal illness, so for some people however much you diet its more about how you feel in your head than the numbers.

I started a similar thread on this subject last week. CDC said i need to lose another 2 stone to get to BMI 25. I have decided that i will stop when i'm comfortably in a size 12 bottoms as that is the perfect shape to me and i estimate that will be another stone to lose - i honestly don't want to be a size 8 or 10 as i like some curves and regardless of BMI a size 12 cannot seriously be classed as overweight in anyones book. So thats my goal regardless of what the numbers on the scales say.

I'm 5'10 and I started the diet at 19st 3lbs and a size 22, My CDC is away this week so I havent been weighed on her scales in a few weeks but on my scales i am showing 14st and I am a size 14 top and bottom, although my ideal weight range is 9st03lbs - 12st06lbs I think that anything under 12st would make me look like a famine victim! For me I will be happy at about 12st 2lbs and will not be trying to get lower than that!

All very interesting and varied posts girls - food for thought;). I shall just wait and see how i feel when i get into the 11's. Part of me would like to go down to under 10stone coz i haven't been that weight since i was in my late teens (curiousity i s'pose) but think i would disappear down a drain pipe (although my forever present chest would most likely stop me!!:D)

LOL BMI vs Reality struck a chord with me!
when I got down to about 10.7 stone my Dad was all concerned, telling me I was too thin - but I was BMI 26, still 'overweight'. How can you be overweight and too thin?!?!?!?

I know that the BMI is only a guide but you can really get fixated on being what is perceived as normal. I think it really depends what your build is and how you feel in your own skin. I hope this satisfies me and i don't become obsessed with the scales and not how i look!!:)

im 5'9 and my cdc said to aim for 12st to be in my normal bmi range, but im aiming for 10 stone not sure if ill just look lanky though! xxx

Back