BMI

Jennifaerie

According to my BMI I should in theory be trying to lose 6 stone. To me that seems too much since at 17 I was a size 12 and 2 stone lighter than I am now. I do snowboarding and yoga so wonder how much of my weight might be muscle (and the boobs lol). 6 stone just seems unacheivable to me so I've set my target at loosing 3. Has anyone had the body fat percentage tests done etc? I don't know if there's any way to figure out what weight exactly I should be aiming for....

I think BMI is starting to become an obsolete way of thinking about weight, because it doesn't take into account the significant differences in individual frames, levels of fitness etc. Athletes often have BMIs that put them in the 'obese' category, for instance.

I'd disregard it, if I was you. Just decide on a weight you think you'll feel comfortable at, and when you get there reassess the situation.

I think BMI is starting to become an obsolete way of thinking about weight, because it doesn't take into account the significant differences in individual frames, levels of fitness etc. Athletes often have BMIs that put them in the 'obese' category, for instance.

I'd disregard it, if I was you. Just decide on a weight you think you'll feel comfortable at, and when you get there reassess the situation.

What a sensible answer and reflects exactly how I feel about my own BMI and my chosen weight loss.

The best weight for you is the weight you are most comfortable at and happiest at. When I reach my goal I will still be over 2 stones over the recommended weight for my height but I do not want to be that slim at my age. My face is already showing wrinkles it didn't have before because of my weight loss.

I do not want to be that slim at my age. My face is already showing wrinkles it didn't have before because of my weight loss.

Yes, age is another factor to take into consideration, I'm finding exactly the same thing fillymum! At the moment I'm about a stone heavier than I was when I was young, before I put the weight on, but I'm happy with that because I don't want any more wrinkles! :D

You have done so well to have lost 141 lbs. My goodness what an achievement. Half your previous weight.

What a star.

Thank you! It still feels a bit surreal when I think of the total amount I've lost, but honestly I don't think about it that much! It was such a gradual process of complete change, which I think helps with the 'head' side of it. :)

So true. It is not a diet for me any more but just the way I choose to eat either at home or out. I like it a lot and feel so well for it.

You are an inspiration you know. When I look at the huge amounts some of the members have lost I know I can do it. In total I need to have lost over 55lbs and think I might go for a bit more than that. I want to see how I look when I get down to goal before I commit myself to any more.

Did you exercise as well.

Sorry another high jack here.

I absolutely *loathe* any form of ritualised exercise, I've never been in a gym in my life and never intend to! I love walking however, I walk everywhere and I'm convinced it's helped a lot as I've lost weight. I don't believe exercise actually helps to get more weight off, but it does help enormously with muscle tone and general fitness.

I have quite an active job as well, up and down a very steep flight of stairs god knows how many times a day, lifting boxes and so on.

Gosh who needs the gym.........not you.

When I first started SW I used to feel so guilty coming on here and reading about all the exercise people were doing, but it was a very wise lady called Iris, in another section of the board, who put it into perspective for me. She'd lost around 8st without doing any exercise at all, because she quite simply hated exercise of any sort, and reasoned that if she tried to force herself into it, she'd likely give up the weight loss effort altogether. She gave herself permission to be a lazy mare as long as she kept her eating in focus, and it worked!

I agree with her, there's no earthly point putting yourself through the torture of ritualised exercise if you hate it. It's only going to make you feel resentful and miserable.

The BMI scale is a good indicator for malnourishment and low weight - a BMI of under 18 is not good. However, anything over 30 is classed as obese. Which means that a healthy man (i.e. my brother) who weighs 18 stone (all of which is muscle) will be classed as obese. Which he's not.

If you find your BMI goes under 18 then i'd start being a wee bit wary, but other than that i'd just ignore it :D

PS - ABSOLUTELY WELL DONE with your weight loss!!!!! Thats bloody amazing!!!

Last edited:
Thanks hon, very interesting too about your brother, that sort of confirms my own thoughts about the redundancy of BMI readings in some cases.

Back