BMI

Sam

Banned
What do you think about the BMI? Do you think that it is really a good measure of body fat? And would you stop your diet if the BMI said "nomal weight"? It should be based of height and weight but I have heard from many people that the whole thing is a little stupid?

Im not a great fan of BMI's for me to be at what some 'expert' classes as a normal weight Id be around 10 stone 5, my doctor is of the opinon that for my height and build thats too low.

I think far too many people put too much emphasis on a BMI, it doesnt factor a lot of things into the equation. There was someone on TV last week, cant remember what programme, who said she was obese.... she looked like she needed to lose maybe half a stone, Id have classed her as curvy, at the very most VERY slightly overweight.

Im certainly not going to knock myself out getting to a healthy BMI, Im going to get to a weight Im happy with, my doctor is with & I feel healthy at.

Im not going to be dictated by some so called expert who knows nothing about me

well said hun x

I think a lot of doctors just look at a chart
"oh yes, you are in the obese range, lose some weight"
I don't think it is as simple as being just a number attached to your weight!
there is a lot more to weight loss than just your BMI
(I think!)

Yeah I totally agree with you. I think there are many people who have the same opinion like us and that is why it is so weird; still many people pay so much attention to the whole topic. And although most of us also don't really like the BMI thing I am sure that almost everybody knows his or hers BMI, right? :)

Back