BMI ??????

Shazpaz

I've notice lots of peoples BMI is now in the healthy range. Mine still is not (nearly but not quite). I went to my GP today and whilst I was there I asked him about BMI..........he said he doesn't use BMI, but got me to hold onto a gadget and it measured my fat. He said I was in the normal range and should go off that. What do you all think? Do you bother about BMI?

I know most people dont like to hun but i do! Cos im tall i think, i am 11st 5 now which is still pretty big really for most people but not me for my height! Bmi puts it into perspective for me and helps but i guess it can work the other way for smaller people xx

I've notice lots of peoples BMI is now in the healthy range. Mine still is not (nearly but not quite). I went to my GP today and whilst I was there I asked him about BMI..........he said he doesn't use BMI, but got me to hold onto a gadget and it measured my fat. He said I was in the normal range and should go off that. What do you all think? Do you bother about BMI?

Could have him struck off for that:D:D xxsorryX
I do look at it and I dont they do vary somewhat also I am overweight at 192lb and others 189lbs:mad: but Im still obese according to it also:eek: Guess you take at with a pinch of salt. x

oh my god garry,,so funny,,i dont bother with bmi,,i'm just going on what feels right and comfortable for me,,when i was weighed i asked what weight i should be for mine to be normal,,10 stone she told me,,i have been 10 stone and miserable and impossible to keep to,,so i'm sticking to 11,,

BMI doesn't take account of your frame or bone structure just height. Its a funny one cause some doctors will use nothing else while other ignore it!!!!!

Thats crazy Garry! That 'fat gadget' was fab.......it reallly put my mind at ease. He said he had a ultra fit body builder who was 'obese' according to the BMI scale, yet he was extreemly healthy.

nuts innit, why doesnt the government get involved and sort this bloody BMI scale out! x

I know most people dont like to hun but i do! Cos im tall i think, i am 11st 5 now which is still pretty big really for most people but not me for my height! Bmi puts it into perspective for me and helps but i guess it can work the other way for smaller people xx

I understand what you are saying hun. I suppose we don't have access to that 'gadget' on a day to day basis so its good to have something to go off.

Jen is right about frame etc but thats why bmi is good for me, i am quite large framed and tall, size 14 yet my bmi is 23 something! xx

I've heard they are now starting to go off waist size for a women as the BMI doesn't take everything into account. They say if your waist is over 34 inches for a women then you are at greater health risks etc etc etc. Apparently fat on the thighs/bum etc isn't a problem health wise (just looks ugly!!). I'm happy my waist is under 34 and the 'gadget' said I was in the healthy range.......I'm just akward and want my BMI to be healthy. I don't know whether to continue until it is!!

I dont like the whole BMI milarky... Cus im tall it says i should be 11st.... but I would just look so odd if i was that thin.... im quite broad as well so dont wanna look funny.

I agree Hannah.....I think we all know if we are healthy or not! If we are carrying excess fat round our mid drift then I suppose we need to continue til its gone.:(

My mate looked really funny...........but he was a clown xx

Ahem Gary....trying to have a serious BMI conversation here!!.....LOL

I agree the whole BMI thing is just a guide and dont really take all the factors into consideration. Me at my lightest was 9st 4lbs (I am 5 4") and was totally skinny looking....I look my best at about 10stone....so I think you have to go with a "healthy look" and not get too hung up on the BMI once you are somewhere in the 20's....my doctors said its only when over 30 that he considers weight to be a problem....

how many stone are ya Hannah??????

Lol, you said you cant wait to get in your 20's, so I said..................get it, never mind! lol:D;)

Back