Body dysmorphia

Bernice

Silver Member
Hi all,

I think maybe I am body dismorphic!!! I am never, ever happy with the way I look. I have now lost 3 stone and am getting very close to my goal with only another 7lbs to go. However, I still do not like what I see. I realise that I am thinner and that I am in much smaller clothes so why am I not happy?? If I see a little roll of fat......I change my clothes because if I can see it then so can everyone else. I have now also turned my attention to my nose which I think is huge!!! I have run all of this past my friends and they just think I am being stupid but it's a real problem. I think I should book my place in the Priory now don't you??:sigh:

Are we ever happy? lol. Hubby took a pic of me at the weekend and i think 'who is that woman?' I cant be me, i have a fat stomach, but the pic says otherwise. I think it just takes a long time to adjust mentally to the changes. And once the fat is gone then what, you start finding faults elsewhere lol. Does it ever end?

Know where you're coming from, Bernice. Try not to be so hard on yourself (am total hypocrite coz I am but there ya go ;))

:hug99:

xx

Thanks Ladies I tried to delete this thread after I had written it but couldn't figure out if there was a way to do it, as I felt quite ashamed of myself. I realised that instead of banging on about my perceived faults I should be much more focused on my achievements i.e. losing the weight!!!! I think I was just having a bad day. Your kind comments were most welcome though. xx

Thanks Ladies I tried to delete this thread after I had written it but couldn't figure out if there was a way to do it, as I felt quite ashamed of myself. I realised that instead of banging on about my perceived faults I should be much more focused on my achievements i.e. losing the weight!!!! I think I was just having a bad day. Your kind comments were most welcome though. xx

We all have bad days and are way too harsh on ourselves - part of being human! Please do not beat yourself up for starting a thread on how you feel. It was what this forum is for and hopefully has shown you that you're not the only one - I know that I find comfort in that!

Please don't ever be ashamed to share and seek reassurance

:hug99::hug99:

xxx

i feel exactly the same! i'm really hating what i see as the weight comes off....i look worse than when i started and had to have a word with myself today...cos i had a moment of what is the point in all this to just look worse!! but i'm not only doing it to look good i'm doing it for health too.....hugs hun, you certainly aren't alone xx

............do you know ladies it is so good to know I am not the only one that feels like this. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me!!! Well actually I know there's something wrong with me but that's a whole new thread. Lol!!!!

Bernice I fully understand this, I felt the same when I lost a lost a lot of weight the last time I did a vlcd - the thing that made me realise that I was ever critical of myself was when I caught sight of myself in a mirror in a shop and didn't realise that it was me and thought that 'she' looked nice!! Really hit me that I only didn't like what i saw when it was 'me', was very strange to notice that.

I do believe that if you saw someone who looked exactly like you you'd think she looked wonderful - it's just that you need to realise that you do...... hopefully one day we'll get our minds to do this.

Do you know what ladies I have just remembered something that I had forgotten. When I lost a lot of weight years ago through diet & exercise (believe it ir not I used to be a aerobics instructor) I was never happy with the way I looked, even though I got to my lightest weight ever (8st 4lbs). A few years later when I had given up teaching and had put a lot of that weight back on I was looking through a friends photo's and found one of me at that lightest weight and I was a proper skinny minnie, which is proof that for some unknown reason I/we have a mental blockage about how I/we really look!!!!!!

When I look in the mirror and am unhappy (or happy for that matter) with how I look I now actually get DD to take a photo on my camera. Makes it so much easier to look at it in a detached manner which just doesnt seem to work with the mirror.

When I look in the mirror and am unhappy (or happy for that matter) with how I look I now actually get DD to take a photo on my camera. Makes it so much easier to look at it in a detached manner which just doesnt seem to work with the mirror.

F unny isn't it, when I look in the mirror (clothed) I feel quite happy but if I see a photo of myself I look bigger and more wrinkled.
I think we all have hang ups about the way we look. Get rid of one and another becomes more noticeable, I'm just glad I have a wonderful daughter who loves me come what may and gives me great pep talks (she's my own 10year old life coach, bless her).

Back