Book Club

Thanks so much Isis, I will do that.
We will soon pick another book and make a fresh start. I will think of one over the weekend, and if anyone else has any ideas either??
When are you all discussing the current book?
Matty

Hi Isis

Currently we are reading 'A piece of Cake' by Cupcake Brown. Reckon we'll be another 2 weeks before we discuss as it's pretty hefty, what do you think, fellow readers?

Word of warning though Isis, I'm afraid it may not get you totally away from thinking of work cos there's a lot of drug abuse in it!

Not sure what we'll be reading next, any suggestions?

Really sorry i know this book was my idea but i have had so much going on that i am no where near the end yet, to be honest not even sure if i will be able to finishm not really enjoying it.

Cheb, does it get any better? I am about 1/3 of the way through i s'pose and keep waiting for it to get better,lol.

Love Busy XX

Hello Everyone,
Don't worry Busy, we all get bogged down in books at times.
How about choosing another book if you are happy to do that?
I would like to suggest a book by Amy Tan called "The Bonesetter's Daughter"
I think this is a book we would all find interesting and thought provoking.
I read it before some time ago, but I came across it last night and would like to read it again.
Please let me know what you think.
Love Matty

Really sorry i know this book was my idea but i have had so much going on that i am no where near the end yet, to be honest not even sure if i will be able to finishm not really enjoying it.

Cheb, does it get any better? I am about 1/3 of the way through i s'pose and keep waiting for it to get better,lol.

Love Busy XX

Hi

It does get better but not until the last 1/3, in my opinion the book could have been edited to about half its length. Continue if you wish or we could discuss anyhow and you could join in with your thoughts so far.

Let us know.

How about everybody else?

Hello Everyone,
Don't worry Busy, we all get bogged down in books at times.
How about choosing another book if you are happy to do that?
I read it before some time ago, but I came across it last night and would like to read it again.
Love Matty

I'd be happy to go with your suggestion, I'll try and get a copy this week.

Have you read 'piece of cake'? If so are you ready to discuss?

No Cheb, I am afraid I haven't read that one, I was feeling gloomy anyway cos of family stuff and thought it might be too tough, but would still be interested in what you all have to say about it.
Matty

Sorry just cannot face ' Apiece of cake' Great suggestion from me for that book hey? lol. I am quite happy to discuss what i thought of the book if you want.

I shall look out for bonesetters daughter and am quite happy to go with that suggestion.

Love Busy XX

I'm in a book club and love it... would like to join this one too if that's ok? One book I couldn't put down was "Lovely Bones". Very moving. Have just finished "Cold Comfort Farm" - hilarious! Anyway.. once you have decided on a title count me in! (please!)

Hello
Love Matty

Sounds good to me, everybody okay to go with this?

Anybody else like to join in?

A Piece Of Cake by Cupcake Brown.

I quite enjoyed the book overall. If I could split it into 3 sections; the downward spiral drug addiction, the recovery and lastly the 'making good'.

The first part was very drawn out and I felt too many incidents were re-told. Particularly her gang activities, it became a bit tedious and monontenous. I found myself becoming almost blase about all these awful tales she was telling of the things she'd endured, there were so many.

The next part, when she fights her addiction I enjoyed most and I identified with a lot of what she said about fighting her urges to use drugs. In fact it really brought home to me what an addiction food can be for me.

The final section, was not detailed enough. I would have liked to know more about this time in her life.

All in all I enjoyed it despite the rambling style of writing and I'm glad I saw it throught to the end as it did get better! Wouldn't reccommend it if you're feeling down, God knows what you might end up doing to yourself!

Hi Cheb,

Thanks for the msg hun about the book. Will see if I can get it through Amazon today. xxx

I've just started Running with Scissors. Looking to be good:) Has anyone read it?

Back