Branded Curry Sauce

RScothern

I am looking for a low syn curry sauce? I know it would be syn free if i made it myself but have treid several times and just can't stand the fromage frais ones!:yuk::yuk::yuk:
I thought i could buy the spice mix from thespiceisright as i read on here somewhere that they are free but have just checked and they are synned now. :mad:
I would only use a quarter of a jar of sauce as only me that likes curry so figure i can split a jar in 4 and freeze it!!:D:D

So any suggestions would be great. thanks

Don't you like non-creamy curries? Does it have to have fromage frais in or could you just have a tomato-based sauce?

You can buy spice mixes in all the supermarkets these days, just put it in with some tinned tomatoes, onion and whatever meat you want to use and you're sorted. Can't help you with low syn jars as I always cook them from scratch.

I just use tinned tomatoes and make my own with spices. Syn free and you can make your own flavours - far better I find!

If its just the fromage frais thats the problem, what about using fat free natural yoghurt? Ot Total fat free greek style is meant to be a lot cremier. Or would reduced fat creme fraiche work? Just remember to stir it through at the very end, as yoghurt will split if its cooked on a high heat, or for a long time.

I don't use any jars either, but if you are trying to get an idea of syns and compare the different products, when you are in the supermarket, look at the calorie infomation on the label and you can use the 1 syn=20 calories formula as there will be no free food in curry sauces.

I really love Bhuna and tikka sauces just not the creamy type. I like curry quite dry iykwim.
I never seem to get the spice ratio right and end up wasting loads as its too hot! and i cant stand yoghurt and things in it so cant cool it down!
I am so awkward!!!:D
Am going to check some out and try and find one that is not too high!

I really love Bhuna and tikka sauces just not the creamy type. I like curry quite dry iykwim.
I never seem to get the spice ratio right and end up wasting loads as its too hot! and i cant stand yoghurt and things in it so cant cool it down!
I am so awkward!!!:D
Am going to check some out and try and find one that is not too high!

If it's too hot you're just putting too much chilli/chilli powder in, dont worry about the other spices, they're not so much heat, just flavours.

Why not just omit the yoghurt/fromage frais or whatever creamy thing they put in the recipes - none of them are essential, the recipe wont taste dire or anything just because you dont put them in, its just to make the recipe creamy and if you dont like creamy thats fine (Im not a fan either).

If you dont want to cook your own you can get tikka spice kits in the supermarket for sure, not sure about bhuna. You can order pretty much anything online though. Ebay, SpicesofIndia.

If you do want to cook your own: for a basic curry recipe fry an onion or two, a few chopped garlic cloves and a tsp or two of grated ginger. When it starts to soften add your chosen ground spices and stir fry for a minute or so, then add a tin of tomatoes, a stock cube, maybe a tbsp tomato puree and your meat/Quorn/veggies or whatever.

You can omit almost any of these if you dont like them and add anything you do. You can adapt most recipes from that to whatever suits your taste. Standard spices would be cumin, coriander, turmeric (with or without chilli powder, to taste); then maybe fennel, fenugreek, mustard seeds, hing... Bit of garam masala at the end. Depends on what you're making. Whole spices are best fried until they pop at the beginning.

Ermintrude - Have you entered yourself into this years Masterchef ;) I'll be very impressed if you remembered all the spices off the top of your head hehe :)

Ermintrude - Have you entered yourself into this years Masterchef ;) I'll be very impressed if you remembered all the spices off the top of your head hehe :)

Seriously you dont wonna know how many types of spice Ive got in my kitchen. When I started this SW thing the first time, about 7 years ago, it started out as as a shoebox, then 2, then a bigger box... its currently two spice racks, 3 boxes, 1 small cupboard and a few randomers roaming around cos they wont fit anywhere. :D I keep looking at furniture so I can make my own sort of spice-cupboard. I was looking at bookcases that I could put drawers into but none of them are deep enough :(

Oh $hit, Ive just realised theres another box in the living room full of spices, flours, poppadoms, Indian sweets/snacks :eek: I dont go in that one very often cos I inevitably find something tasty that I can eat the whole packet of so I just pretend its not there... :rolleyes:

Haha! Crazy woman! Your spice cupboard sounds amazing! My OH stops me in my tracks before I buy any more jars :(

Is it just Indian food or all kinds of foreign foods your into? I really need to make a good curry soon.

I'm into Malaysian at the minute.

Xx

All sorts of stuff, it started as just Indian spices/herbs but sort of grew and I got fed up of paying extortionate amounts for tiny jars of cumin and stuff, so started buying the bags, then the slightly bigger bags, then the even bigger bags... :D then there's vanilla pods, flavourings, flours, seeds, dried fruit, nuts (almond, coconut, chestnut - flakes, ground, vacuum packed, you name it :eek: ) Oh and there's also another bog box of baking stuff - flours, sugars, yeast, powders dammit I forgot that box agghhhh.

I NEED A BIGGER KITCHEN!!! :eek: :faint2:

I made a Malaysian curry the other night, I liked the beginning but by the end it was so sweet I was nearly sick :jelous:

Glad I'm not the only one with spices taking over.Had to resort to nailing spice shelves on the back of the door as no where else to put them.Dh tells me I'm mad -until he eats the curry.

Back