Bread and Lasagne

hayles

hey guys, just looking for some food tips - me and my boyf looooove having lasagne for tea but obviously with the sauces its not a great move - just wondering if anyone knows of any low fat sauce alternatives or different ways of making it??

also, whats the best bread to be eating, my nurse said i should be trying to eat granary but cant seem to find any in Asda..any ideas?:confused:

H x

I know our asda do granary. There are a few different brands, not sure about the asda own name though. I tend to stick with granary or wholemeal, probably more wholemeal.

Regarding the lasagne, I'm not sure about low fat sauces I'm sure there are. You could do your own tomato sauce with tins of tomatoes, add your own herbs & garlic etc, not sure how the white sauce could be made healthier though. What would you do about the cheese??? Even low fat cheese is high! Hope you find a recipe that suits.

i could only find one granary sort in asda last time and it was the smallest loaf i have ever seen!!

i dont tend to have cheese on my lasagne, i add it to my boyfriends but i just go without, its really just the white sauce thats the problem!! :(

Yeah you are right, the white sauce is the killer. My boyfriend is a chef and when he makes it the amount of butter used to make the rue for the sauce is :eek: So you might find that a jar is less fattening that the homemade stuff.

As I'm not dying about the white sauce I think it might even be nice without that too.

I'd be surprised if there wasnt a lowfat option though.Have you checked other supermarkets other than asda? Maybe search online.

Here is another recipe I found online

2oz flour, 1 pint skimmed milk, 2tbs parmesan cheese, pinch herbs, pinch mustard powder and salt and pepper to taste. You just whisk everything together and then bring to the boil slowly, whisking all the time. If it goes too thick for your taste just add a little more skimmed milk until you get the consistency you like. I make lasagne with this sauce all the time and I make the meat sauce with extra lean mince and it always tastes nice.

& here is another recipe

http://kitchenlaw.blogspot.com/2008/04/low-fat-lasagne.html

(yes I'm bored in work lol work to be doing just cant be bothered)

thanks so much!! i will try the bbc one i think, i had a look at the dolmio ones the other day and still ridiculously high in fat so these options and my own tomato sauce might work a treat!!

and your not the only one bored at work!!
x

I just had a delicious pasta sauce, its a Reduced Fat 4 cheese sauce made by Asda Good for you and its within the 5g rule. You can find it in the chill aisle where they have the fresh pasta and the frsh soups. They also have a Carbonara sauce as well. And I have also tried the Weight Watchers sauces were are actually good as well.

Back