• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Breakfast and hunger

Brightonrosie

I want to be fitter again
S: 11st8lb C: 11st0lb G: 10st0lb BMI: 29.1 Loss: 0st8lb(4.94%)
Just out of interest, does anyone get hungrier throughout the day if they have breakfast. Yesterday at 9ish when I arrived at work i had oatsosimple and banana and yogurt and was starving by 11am. The day before i had ryvita and hard boiled egg and was hungry by 11.30. Today I went straight to work but no breakfast and then out of the office until 12.45 and was still not massively hungry. All evening as well I have felt less hungry and not needing to pick as much. this is the thrid time I have tried this pattern so it is not a one off xx

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

teresa32uk

Silver Member
S: 11st2lb C: 10st12lb G: 10st0lb BMI: 29.7 Loss: 0st4lb(2.56%)
I do find this and this is how i normally behave. However, in the past i have found if i do eat breakfast and pick all day i lose more weight.
When i asked my Consultant she said it was because breakfast kick starts your metabolism and you therefore drop more pounds. Thanks for this post it has reminded me of this and i am going to make more of an effort to eat first thing and see if that improves my losses.

S: 18st2lb C: 17st8.5lb G: 11st7lb BMI: 35.4 Loss: 0st7.5lb(2.95%)
Yeah if I skip it Im not as hungry & can go till lunch but I don't skip it anymore where possible as its not great is it and its supposed to be the most important meal of the day!

Must be some actual reason for it

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
G: 10st10lb
I think it's because if you don't eat breakfast your stomach shrinks! If you do eat it, it kind of paves the way for more food!! I however have to eat brekkie because it helps me concentrate on my work and I get dizzy if I don't eat! It also helps my bowels- a good feed in the morning 'moves things along' if you catch my drift!! LOL! Also if I don't eat brekkie I definitely get more 'picky' in the evenings!X

S: 18st2lb C: 17st8.5lb G: 11st7lb BMI: 35.4 Loss: 0st7.5lb(2.95%)
I found this answer on Yahoo....

There are two main reasons that eating breakfast can lead to hunger later in the morning: One is the adaptive function of our body to conserve energy when we do not eat. It goes back to the caveman days: if there wasn't food around, our metabolism would slow down to conserve energy. Our bodies work the same way today: if we don't eat breakfast, our metabolism slows down and we are less hungry as a result. Some people don't get hungry till late in the afternoon if they don't eat breakfast--they skip lunch as well! But, as I mentioned, they almost always make up for it later in the day. If we eat breakfast, our metabolism starts running: "we have plenty of energy to use," our body says, "so let's start using it!" If we don't keep eating we get hungry in a few hours. It's okay to eat again then--just be sure to have a snack that's not too high in calories, such as a handful of nuts or a few crackers with peanut butter. Then you won't be starving at lunch time!

The other factor that causes people to be hungry a few hours after breakfast is the drop in blood sugar. Often at breakfast we eat foods that are high in carbohydrates and low in fat and protein, such as a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice, or toast with jam. Our blood sugar spikes high in an hour or so, and drops quickly in another hour, leaving us dizzy and weak by mid-morning--way before lunch time.

Chelsea

S: 19st11lb C: 17st0lb G: 10st0lb Loss: 2st11lb(14.08%)
fab thread - it all makes sense now !!! will make sure that I have a good breakfast to get metabolism on the go !!

Zimara

Yummy mummy to be!
S: 12st3lb C: 11st1lb G: 9st7lb Loss: 1st2lb(9.36%)
Just think of it like this.........

Breakfast = break (the) fast.

Your metab slows right down at night time, it needs a kick start to get it going again.

If you get hungry try changing what you eat for breakie. Try a more high protien (low carb) breaky like eggs rather than high carb.

Eggs keep me going all morning!!

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
S: 21st12.5lb C: 19st10.5lb G: 16st6lb BMI: 43.3 Loss: 2st2lb(9.79%)
I asked this Q a while ago. I was having magic porridge for breakfast every morning at around 8am, then by 11am I was absolutely starving! I just munch on fruit to get through the hunger, I don't like to have lunch until at least 1pm!

Scanbran

Stupid Member
S: 18st0lb C: 14st10lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 30.4 Loss: 3st4lb(18.25%)
I don't usually bother with breakfast either, but after reading this, I'm now munching on a pear!

Hope it helps :eek:

S: 8st13lb C: 9st0lb G: 8st10lb BMI: 23.8 Loss: -0st1lb(-0.8%)
I found this too - how interesting!
I try and have my breakfast slightly later, 9:30 ish, to manage those hunger pangs!

I have breakfast about 7.30am at work which is usually, a mullerlight, banana and alpen light, then yes I feel hungry about 11am. But that could be the arrival of the sarnie ladie in work! I sometimes have a hardboiled egg mid morning or 3 babybel as my HXA. and a banana!

H*Bomb

S: 23st12.5lb C: 21st10lb G: 18st0lb BMI: 35.1 Loss: 2st2.5lb(9.12%)
I never used to have breakfast, but since starting SW I have had breakfast every morning! Part of teh reason I never had breakfast in the past was I was never hngry first thing in the morning - however last week or so I can def tell my body has got used to it as by the time 9am comes I am starving!

*ruby*

S: 12st6lb C: 12st6lb G: 10st7lb BMI: 29.9 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
I'm really bad at eating breakfast. A cuppa and a ciggie for me usually, although I do try to have some fruit or a yoghurt (or both) before ten o'clock.

If I do eat an early breakfast I'm always ravenous by about eleven and I will eat just about anything I can get my hands on.

Mets

Gold Member
C: 11st3.5lb G: 9st0lb BMI: 27
Yep, the same with me too. I usually have my breakfast at about 8am and then I'm hungry by 10am... I'm really hungry now and I've had porridge with banana and an apple for a snack!!! :D

But what I do to take the hunger pangs, is drink lots of water. I drink an awful lot anyway and find that this fills me up. They do say that if you're feeling hungry, then you should have a glass of water before reaching for food as it could just be thirst.

S: 9st11lb C: 8st9lb G: 8st9lb BMI: 22.1 Loss: 1st2lb(11.68%)
I always have breakfast about 1hour after getting up. By this time I'm hungry & couldn't manage until lunch without eating.

I usually have cereal or rice with fruit & yoghurt or polenta porridge,with fruit.

Mid morning I'll have a piece of fruit & lunch is 12.30-1pm (mid week); I usually have my afternoon snack (fruit again) 3 ish, but I don't always have an afternoon snack.

I'm very lucky tea is waiting for me when I get home @ 5.30pm.:D

Beckyftwx

Silver Member
S: 11st5lb C: 10st8lb G: 9st7lb BMI: 23.9 Loss: 0st11lb(6.92%)
I'm in college so the fact I cant eat in lessons does restrict me into eating at certain times. I am always hungry when I wake up so have brekkie at about half 7 then I will have a yoghurt and alpen bar at half 10 cos I find Im really peckish by then!

Absolutely!I find that if I didnt eat breakfast,I could probably go until my evening meal and not be hungry!I know its healthier to have breakfast,so I do, but on the downside I seem to graze all day(albeit on superfree food!)

I find on red days when I eat a lot of protein for breakfast(i.e bacon eggs)i am not as hungry,because protein keeps you fuller for longer!!

Glad I am not the only one who finds this!!:D

*EB*

Gold Member
whats magic porridge? sorry!

I have brekkie, but im gonna look to increase the size of my brekkie, cos im having alpen bars or a piece of fruit, which i dont think is enough to start off my metabolism! LOL! x