Breast Reduction?

Bananarama

Hey ladies, just wondering if anyone here has had this done? I've been thinking of it for quite some time (I'm a 32G and mortified to say it). I went for a consultation during the week and it is going to cost me £5815...which is a lot of money but I think it might be worth it. Just looking for some advice.....

I would wait until you have reached your goal if your serious as you may well lose more off your breasts and you also may end up sagging after losing weight so your recontruction would alter from weightloss.
I am only two cup sizes smaller than you and i already can see a slight reduction and i am only in week 2.

Are breast reductions not available on the NHS?

That seems like a lot of money, but if they're getting in the way and causing you backache, then I imagine it would be money well spent. I can't really relate I'm afraid - I have next to no boobs - if only they could donate some of yours to me! :p

I agree with waiting til you've reached target though, and if it's still causing you problems then, then you know that there are no other factors/options. I hope whatever decision you make works out for you though my love! xxx

A friend of mine is a very big girl on top and she had a reduction a few years ago. Unfortunately its not permanent and with a little weight gain her breasts are the size they were before the operation. One thing you should consider is that this isnt a permanent solution and if you are naturally big, the chances are that you will be back to the size you are.
I can understand why you would consider it though as my friend was constantly suffering with back ache and as a hairdresser they just "got in the way".

xx

I would definatly wait till you have reached target. I have lost loads from my bust area & am now back to nearly what I was 8 years ago & before kids!!

My sister did, on the NHS. She was suffering back pain from being a 34H. She went down to a 34C/D and despite weight changes she's stayed there and the scars are looking fab.

I'll have it done too if my 40G's don't go down, and a lift if they do. They went up to 40K when I was breastfeeding which has stretched the skin rather!

I'll echo everyone else and say definitely wait until you've got to target. I've only lost a stone so far and I wasn't massive to start with (36DD) and I've already gone down to a 34D!

My sister did, on the NHS. She was suffering back pain from being a 34H. She went down to a 34C/D and despite weight changes she's stayed there and the scars are looking fab.

I'll have it done too if my 40G's don't go down, and a lift if they do. They went up to 40K when I was breastfeeding which has stretched the skin rather!

What's the NHS qualifying factors?
Not for me, but one of my friends is interested in this... xxx

I agree with the others, get down to your target weight before you go ahead with the operation. I say this as a 38K, I'm waiting until I am a healthy weight before I look at my options (also as my mum tells me, you have to be a certain weight before they will operate, so have no choice in the matter!). My mum had a breast reduction due to having breasts a similar size to me and now that she's lost lots of weight her boobs aren't very big at all, I think she regrets not trying to ditch the weight first.

Also, have you thought about getting them done on the NHS? You could ask to get put on the waiting list now, lose the weight you need to lose to qualify for the op and then when a place comes up for you decide if it's what you want to do.

Thanks so much everybody. I love that this forum is so open. I haven't really told anyone I'm thinking of it, just my mum and partner. When I've lost weight before it has never gone from my bust, and I end up looking even more top heavy. Also, we have no NHS in Ireland, just a really crap public service and I dont have enough cover on my health insurance to get it done. This is embarassing but because they are so heavy they are already sagging quite a bit. I have another appointment booked for the end of October so I could be a lot closer to target then, in fact if i really got my act together I could be at target! This losing weight business is crap!

Best of luck hon xxx

I can only speak from my own experience which is much the same as everyone elses.

As I have lost weight my bra size has gone down. I didn't really see a difference until after I had lost a good chunk of weight. It seemed to go from there the last.

Good luck and whenever you have it done, GO FOR IT GIRL !!!! If it makes you feel good, it is good. Just make sure you research your surgeon and his clinic well.

Bit of info for the people asking about Breast reduction on the NHS:

The NHS will approve Breast reductions only if there is a clinical need and this must be evidenced by a GP / clinician eg. its not enough for you to say they give me back-ache, your GP must tell them how often this happens, what pain relief you have tried and may refer to you physio to see if the back pain could be caused by something else. you also need to have a BMI of below 30 (25 in some places) and have a cup size of at least DD.
In most places this would need to go through and Individual funding / exceptional treatments panel.
Just an added extra the criteria for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) are similar.
Some requests are made for cosmetic reasons thats why there are so many criteria to meet.

Hope this helps :eek:

There was a programme on the tv the other night re this. Nowadays because if budget cuts, the reconstructions after mastectomy take priority. If your consultant agrees you need a reduction, then your case goes before a panel and they decide your fate. You have nothing to lose (well you have!) Wait till you're at target and then ask. If you don't ask you don't get. They may say no but you may be lucky.

i have 2 get my bmi down 2 25 b4 the will c me ,getting there slowly my size 32g never varies with weight loss or gain

Back