Breastfeeding and Slimming World

Awww she's such a cutie

Gorgeous pic fern! I am looking forward to a day out. I'll get crucified if anyone from work sees me and knows I've been to Cardiff without popping in to see them, but I don't really want to be introducing Bella to an office full of germs in flu season. Paranoid? Perhaps, but makes me feel better.

Crystal - thanks for the ideas, got most of it already but wouldn't have thought of a spare top for me... Silly really as all my tops do inevitably get covered in sicky!

Well somehow without really sticking to plan I lost another 2lb this week. More down to lack of food than anything else me thinks

Sara i get accused of being too over protective all the time, she's your babba- you do what you very well like! xx

Penny's 12 week jabs tomo, nooooooooooooooooooo *sobs* she was so poorly last time x

I got Charles first set of jabs on Friday - OH going in to the room, I am staying outside as I am acute to other people's pain and even more so my own child!!!

Ooh Bella's first set are on 6th Dec and I'll be going on my own. Any tips ladies?

I know people say to give calpol afterwards if she gets a fever, but she won't be old enough, so any tips greatly appreciated

Ooh Bella's first set are on 6th Dec and I'll be going on my own. Any tips ladies?

I know people say to give calpol afterwards if she gets a fever, but she won't be old enough, so any tips greatly appreciated

aslong as she's 8 weeks, which she should be for her first set you can give her some. I did, thought i gave her a half dose in the beginning- i also had to syringe it in, so you might want to pick one up. . i took my mum but they wouldnt let her in the room :(

you go in, and they sit you on a chair in the middle of the room, and a nurse sits either side. You have to hold baby on your lap, holding thier legs.. they'l count to 3.. and then they'l jab at the same time. Its horrible. Penny let out a little scream, and then i cuddled her untill she stopped crying. I think it was alot worse for me than her, but i hated every second, she also had sniffles for a few days before and it suddenly got very bad, we ended up taking her to the out of hours doc a few days later because she was so congested she couldnt breathe and was starting to choke at feeds, very scary. (note, calpol saline nasal spray is a godsend, dont even both with the drops they'l prescribe you, its hard enough to administer with a spray!!!)

my HV said a dress was better, but then youd have to remove tights etc, so a baby grow is best, just unpop a few, have the legs out and you can get her dressed much quicker for cuddles than you would with tights! - also i avoided her upper thigh when doing our baby massage in the eves as you could see it was a little sore.

Good luck petal, its over quick but its not nice. I think the 12 week ones are 3 injections? i hope not. Really not looking forward to today. x

Thanks fern, that's really useful. She will just be 8 weeks so I'll pick up some calpol. Should be ok with a spoon as she's been taking gripe water with a spoon (latest in the quest to rid Bella of her wind/sicky discomfort).

I've got some saline drops, tixielix (sp?) I think as Bella used to be really snuffly in the early days, and occasionally now if she's been sick through her nose, they're fab - clear up her nose straight away.

Thanks for tips on what to wear. I'm dreading it...

Hope Penny's go ok. Bunny - you too with Charles

bunnylovesalan said:
if you get calpol from pharmacy they give you a syringe free of charge :)

Thanks - that's very useful to know!

Loving all the tips ladies! Thanks :D

Won't be too long before i'm on here sharing my BF stories lol. Baby is fully locked and ready! x

Not long now jojo!

So excited - just arrived courtesy of eBay is a swing! Got it for £32 rather than £75 rrp. Hoping it'll help settle Bella when she's grizzly. Will let you know if she likes it.

Had a bit of a nightmare last night - 1.5 hours of trying to get Bella to settle to sleep, reducing me to tears in my sleep deprived state. BUT she then rewarded me by shock horror sleeping straight through, from about midnight to 7am. Wow, I mustn't get used to that!!

Oh and my day out to Cardiff has been postponed to next week - hubby's off so we can do the whole thing together then!

the swing is a lifesaver for giving you a break - but be careful don;t use it all the time or if you do only use motor now and again. as it is highly addictive as it settles baby due to motion and then we had problems with charles going to sleep by himself in his moses basket and on flat service!

That's the thing Bella rarely settles lying down now anyway, she'd much rather fall asleep having a cuddle.
Which in hindsight is probably why she struggles at night.
Hmm something to try and tackle next week when James is off me thinks.

When did everyone start introducing a bedtime routine? I'm struggling to see how it'll work until we start putting Bella upstairs to sleep in the evenings when we're still up downstairs, not sure when we'll be ready for that. She's 6 weeks Monday

I have started my rountine with Charles this week, I have a monitor so maybe that is something you might want to consider with a sensor matt. I also every other night have a bath for Charles and the other nights I give Charles a wash with a wet flannel. I discussed this with my HV and she said that as there still not at the age to distinguish between day and night that the bath idea is a cue to suggest it is time for bed and it gives Charles something different from the day to help notice the change. I also leave him in the bedroom from 8pm onwards and got a light that plays winnie the pooh above the cealing as he likes bold lights so find that helps as well.

Penny was the same Sara that will pass. There was a time when the only 'sleep' i got was sitting up with noodle sleeping on my chest. god how i survived i do not know now.

i got my tommee tippee sensor mat and monitors yday as Penny is trying to roll. Im really working myself into a state at the thought of her being in her own room but i cant fit the cot in mine and her rooms not big enough for me either. I have no choice, id never forgive myself if she rolled in her moses basket and hurt herself.

- not sure if anyone interested but i joined photobox, its the same as kodak but if i refer you, you get 50 free prints when you join and il get credits for referring you. just need you email so pm if you want. xxx

OH Fern I used to do that as well! As a matter of fact I still only sleep on my back from all the months having Rosie asleep on my chest. I didn't care what anyone said about making them dependent on you to sleep, spoiling them etc, pah! All I wanted was to have her snuggled on my chest, it was the best feeling!!

I established a sleep routine when Rosie was just over 3 months, started with a bath at 8:30, lotion and massage, jammies, nurse and rocking to sleep. Gradually over a few weeks, I noticed she was getting more and more tired earlier in the day so I adjusted a little bit every week or so and now I start the process at 6:30 and she's asleep at 7.

We moved her to her room when she was 6 months which was great for her and for us as we didn't have to tiptoe the whole time and could watch TV and chat in bed etc again lol. Plus she was sleeping a lot better as well with no interruptions (I used to make DH use the guest toilet instead of the one in out room so the flush wouldn't wake her up!)

Oh the most amazing thing happened, I was feeding her one night and just decided to put her straight in her cot without rocking and although she woke up in protest as soon as she hit the bed, I quickly escaped and listened for her through the door but she had gone back to sleep! It was like magic! I think she had gotten to the point where she'd rather just sleep than stay up to make sure I was there lol!! Makes things a lot easier. However I nurse her first though so she's pretty drowsy when I put her in lol. My back is very happy!

Last edited:
Penny wont sleep on my chest anymore, she likes to be cradled and snuggled up to boob, i miss her little bum sticking out and her dribbling on my chest, they grow so fast :( ...

I think Penny knows i was considering the cot tonight. She is WIDE awake. her usual bedtime was between 9:30/10, but the past fortnight she suddenly moved that naturally to half 8/9... we dont have a set routine, we bath every other day and aim to baby massage each night.. god knows whats going on tonight, im actually waiting up for her to nod off!!

LOL!! I was insistent on establishing a routine because I'm a creature of habit myself and do the same things every morning and every night so it seemed weird that Rosie was so all over the place. It didn't take very long at all for her to get the message that bath + massage + boob = SLEEP! Literally 3 - 4 days. It's good to maintain some flexibility though, you don't want them going too crazy when it's exactly X o'clock and you're not bathing them!

Back