Breastfeeding, how many healthy extras

MummyBird

Hi, i have re-joined SW today and my consultant didn't have any booklets left that tell you extra things you need to have when exclusively breast feeding (my baby is 8 weeks today). She told me to look on website but i cn't find anything specific just an FAQ saying there is a booklet.....does any one know what i should be having extra for the calcium etc i need??
Thanks for any help :)

Here you go - from the SW website

If you are breast-feeding, your body requires extra energy and extra calcium to enable it to produce milk for your baby. Therefore if you are Food Optimising whilst breast-feeding we recommend you increase your daily number of Healthy Extras.
Extra Daily Allowances for breast-feeding mums
Baby’s age
You can enjoy additional Healthy Extras on top of your usual 2a and 2b choices.
We recommend that one or preferably two of these additional choices are made from the milk and cheese section.
Up to 2 months
2 to 3 months
4 to 6 months if starting to wean
4 to 6 months if breast milk is the only source of nutrient for your baby
Over 6 months when weaning

We also recommend you enjoy the full 15 Syns a day.
Calcium
The recommended daily intake of calcium for breastfeeding mums increases from 700mg to 1,250mg per day so we advise you to make at least one and preferably two of your additional selections from the Healthy Extra milk and cheese options, which are rich in calcium. The following table lists good dietary sources of calcium, providing you with plenty of healthy ways in which to increase your calcium intake:

Calcium rich Healthy Extras
Calcium rich Free Food
Milk and cheese selections in the healthy Extras section of Food Optimising all contain high levels of calcium. The exact amounts are as follows:There are also a number of Free Foods within Food Optimising that contain calcium. These include:350ml skimmed milk
420mg100g very low fat natural/ flavoured yogurt130mg250ml semi-skimmed milk300mg100g very low fat natural/ flavoured fromage frais90mg175ml whole milk200mg100g quark120mg200ml goat’s milk200mg
100g very low fat cottage cheese75mg250ml calcium enriched soya milk350mg100g sardines, canned in tomato sauce430mg28g Cheddar200mg100g pilchards, canned in tomato sauce250mg28g Edam220ml100g spinach170mg28g Emmental270mg100g purple sprouting broccoli200mg28g Gouda210mg100g curly kale150mg28g Parmesan340mg100g okra160mg42g Mozzarella250mg100g amaranth leaves220mg42g reduced fat Cheddar350mg 42g reduced fat Cheshire270mg
Please note – whilst you are breastfeeding and require extra Healthy Extras you will be able to add additional ‘a’ and ‘b’ choices to the online food diary. Let us know that you are breastfeeding by checking the box on your update details page. Don’t forget to uncheck the box when you’re no longer breastfeeding and are back to the regular amount of Healthy Extras.

Hi, its in 'searchable features', then 'health features and factsheets'. :)

I'm breastfeeding my 14week old,and have been on SW EE for 3 weeks, I can honestly say that I am eating almost constantly and the weight is still coming off! I couldn't believe how many more hex choices I could have, and to be honest, don't use them all as I can't eat that much in a day! Good luck! X

Was my first weigh in on Tuesday and i lost 2 1/2 lbs:).....i'm the same too i don't have all of them every day but enjoying them whils they last!! I love bread, cereal and cheese soooo much!!! Which is why i NEED SW to get back to target lol!!!

Your body requires about an extra 500 calories per day if exclusively breastfeeding including at least one night feed. A healthy extra is about 5 syns which equates to about 100 calories so it would make sense to have at least three with the extra 200 calories eaten in your meals and fruit snacks xx

Back