Bulgar wheat ideas

WelshJojo

Gold Member
Have bought some bulgar wheat as our chef at work used it in a chickpea pilaff and it was lush. Have searched the recipe sub for ideas as to what else I can do, but not really found much! Wondered if anyone had any suggestions of what else I can do with it-thanks muchly :) oh and it is free on green isn't it? Cheers :D

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You can use bulghar in salads in the same way as cous-cous - add herbs and chopped up veggies, spices, chicken pieces etc etc google tabbouleh recipes

I have eaten it in a mince dish called kibbeh which is middle eastern and yummy

BBC have lots of recipes which can be SW tweaked easily, and some that don't even need fiddling with if you are prepared to syn/HEB the olive oil Bulghar recipes - Recipes - BBC Good Food

and yes its free on green/EE

hazysummer said:
You can use bulghar in salads in the same way as cous-cous - add herbs and chopped up veggies, spices, chicken pieces etc etc google tabbouleh recipes

I have eaten it in a mince dish called kibbeh which is middle eastern and yummy

BBC have lots of recipes which can be SW tweaked easily, and some that don't even need fiddling with if you are prepared to syn/HEB the olive oil Bulghar recipes - Recipes - BBC Good Food

and yes its free on green/EE

Brill thank you :)

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!

OK anyone got any MORE bulghar wheat recipes, for a moron aka me? :wave_cry:

I've got my chicken all stuffed as per BritMum's recipe but being a moron have entirely ballsed it up. Not being used to USA measurements I went to look up how much a cup is, 250ml it says, so I measured that out, stuck it in a pan in twice its volume of boiling water like the obeyant cook I am and left it while I pootled around with the apple, sausagemeat chicken etc.

Half an hour later I peek under the lid - HOLY MOTHER OF *#@&*^?*!!!! That's a lot of bulghar wheat...

Why did it not occur to me that "1 cup of bulgar wheat cooked" means 1 cup OF COOKED-BULGHAR-WHEAT, not COOK-ONE-CUP-OF-bulghar-wheat?

*SOB* I seriously hope I like bulghar wheat, Ive never tried it before :( I have enough to feed an army :cry:

EDIT: I've just gone back to look at the recipe again and it doesn't even say that, it says "1/2 cup of bulgar wheat (already soaked)". Why did I read it as a WHOLE cup of DRY frickin bulghar wheat?

I was thinking something along the lines they must have ma-hoo-sive chicken in Canada as there was WAY too much stuffing there for my poor scrawny little rat.. I padded the extra around it in the dish in the end. It looks more like a pie than a stuffed chicken breast :rolleyes:

I haven't even cooked it yet. Maybe the house will burn down next or summat? :sigh:

I'm going to be eating bulghar wheat for the rest of my days :(

I've just had it for my tea. I put some soaked dried mushrooms in, and some cannelini beans. Then I served on top of it some stir fried fresh tuna steaks with onions, garlic, peppers & soy sauce. A squeeze of lemon and smoked paprika for taste, oh and some fresh parsley. I put a dab of wasabi paste on top of the tuna.

OK anyone got any MORE bulghar wheat recipes, for a moron aka me? :wave_cry:

I've got my chicken all stuffed as per BritMum's recipe but being a moron have entirely ballsed it up. Not being used to USA measurements I went to look up how much a cup is, 250ml it says, so I measured that out, stuck it in a pan in twice its volume of boiling water like the obeyant cook I am and left it while I pootled around with the apple, sausagemeat chicken etc.

Half an hour later I peek under the lid - HOLY MOTHER OF *#@&*^?*!!!! That's a lot of bulghar wheat...

Why did it not occur to me that "1 cup of bulgar wheat cooked" means 1 cup OF COOKED-BULGHAR-WHEAT, not COOK-ONE-CUP-OF-bulghar-wheat?

*SOB* I seriously hope I like bulghar wheat, Ive never tried it before :( I have enough to feed an army :cry:

EDIT: I've just gone back to look at the recipe again and it doesn't even say that, it says "1/2 cup of bulgar wheat (already soaked)". Why did I read it as a WHOLE cup of DRY frickin bulghar wheat?

I was thinking something along the lines they must have ma-hoo-sive chicken in Canada as there was WAY too much stuffing there for my poor scrawny little rat.. I padded the extra around it in the dish in the end. It looks more like a pie than a stuffed chicken breast :rolleyes:

I haven't even cooked it yet. Maybe the house will burn down next or summat? :sigh:

sorry it turned into a bit of a disaster, but you did make me laugh.

perhaps make up some tabbouleh with the remaining bulgar wheat

there are heaps of different tabbouleh recipes online if you google. I haven't yet tried it myself, but hear lots of people mentioned how nice it is.

Thanks, I might try that.

Latest news is the OH has turned the oven down to 160C, so my chicken is still bladdy raw :mad:

Another 15 minutes and I *may* have a chicken-bulgur-wheat-pie ready for tea :sigh:

Success!

Success!!! My bulghar wheat, er, 'pie' was wonderful! Really, really filling, and the stuffing was fantastic, tasted like Paxo made with sausagemeat! I didn't have any fresh sage so I put 2 tsp dried in, worked out just right :)

I'd definitely make this again, prob next time as a sort of Sunday dinner, with some Fry Light roasties and low syn gravy. Here's some piccies (not what it's *meant* to look like!) Thanks Brit Mum! (The recipe's here btw, anyone who wants to try it: Bulgar Wheat, Onion, Sage and Sausage Stuffed Chicken | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes 1 syn on EE but I'm on Green cos I ate a ton of lentils at lunch, so used chicken as HEX, Weight Watchers sausage as syns, plus the extra 1 syn for cooked apple)

5777792612_16038f9679_o.jpg

5777251939_1cececee2a_o.jpg

Last edited:
Try making tabbouleh:-

small onion
4/5 tomatoes
handful of fresh mint leaves
big bunch of parsley (curly)
a cup of bulgar wheat
lemon juice
salt and black pepper

cover bulgar wheat with boiled water and leave to one side. Finely chop the
onion, tomatoes, mint leaves and parsley and put in a large bowl, add the bulgar wheat using your hands to squeeze out any excess water. Add plenty of lemon juice salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a teaspoon of mint sauce for extra flavour. Leave in the fridge for a while before eating. It's gorgeous, healthy and it's free!

ermintrude said:
Success!!! My bulghar wheat, er, 'pie' was wonderful! Really, really filling, and the stuffing was fantastic, tasted like Paxo made with sausagemeat! I didn't have any fresh sage so I put 2 tsp dried in, worked out just right :)

I'd definitely make this again, prob next time as a sort of Sunday dinner, with some Fry Light roasties and low syn gravy. Here's some piccies (not what it's *meant* to look like!) Thanks Brit Mum! (The recipe's here btw, anyone who wants to try it: Bulgar Wheat, Onion, Sage and Sausage Stuffed Chicken | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes 1 syn on EE but I'm on Green cos I ate a ton of lentils at lunch, so used chicken as HEX, Weight Watchers sausage as syns, plus the extra 1 syn for cooked apple)

Glad you enjoyed it in the end-it does look rather yummy

5777792612_16038f9679_o.jpg

5777251939_1cececee2a_o.jpg

glad you like it, looks great in your pic

Just found this thread and i have an odd question!

I *think* i had some bulgar wheat when on my holibobs in Turkey??

It was bigger in form that cous cous, more like little round balls?? It was served like rice.

God i sound odd!!

Does anybody think that this is what i had? If not, any ideas??

selwonk said:

It was bigger in form that cous cous, more like little round balls?? It was served like rice.

God i sound odd!!

Sounds like it! Bulgar wheat is like fat couscous x

selwonk said:

God i sound odd!!

Could be Israeli couscous? These look like little balls and are really more like tiny pasta pieces.

Back