Bulghar wheat salad.

RachelN76

I made this yesterday and it was lovely.
I just sort of made it up as I went along, so my quantities might be a bit out. This made enough to serve me and my husband as a side dish, with a little left over.

75g bulghar wheat
2 tomatoes
cucumber
1 large or 2 small peppers (whichever colour you prefer)
2-3 spring onions
1 small can mixed beans in water
Olive oil (optional)

Cook the bulghar wheat according to the instructions on the packet. I covered mine with water and left for 30 mins (actually, I used veg stock instead of plain water to give it a bit more flavour).
Chop the peppers, spring onions, cucumber and tomatoes.
When the bulghar wheat is cooked, put it in a pan over a VERY low heat (the lowest you can).
Stir in the peppers and spring onion and a tiny drizzle of olive oil if you want to. The heat is just to help the flavours develop.
Stir in the canned beans (drained)
Give it a few minutes, then take it off the heat, and add in the tomatoes and cucumber.

I like it slightly warm, but I'm sure it would also be nice cold.
It's just like couscous salad really, but bulghar wheat is lower GI, has a bit more fibre and is (IMHO) a bit more tasty.

We had it as a side dish with some quorn fillets (done like garlic lemon chicken), and a green salad. But I think because it's got all the beans in it, it would be a great lunch on it's own. And I'm sure you could put whatever veg you like in there.

Back