Bulghar wheat salad.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by RachelN76, 5 June 2010 Social URL.

1. RachelN76

RachelN76 Full Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I made this yesterday and it was lovely.
    I just sort of made it up as I went along, so my quantities might be a bit out. This made enough to serve me and my husband as a side dish, with a little left over.

75g bulghar wheat
    2 tomatoes
    1 large or 2 small peppers (whichever colour you prefer)
    2-3 spring onions
    1 small can mixed beans in water
    Olive oil (optional)

Cook the bulghar wheat according to the instructions on the packet. I covered mine with water and left for 30 mins (actually, I used veg stock instead of plain water to give it a bit more flavour).
    Chop the peppers, spring onions, cucumber and tomatoes.
    When the bulghar wheat is cooked, put it in a pan over a VERY low heat (the lowest you can).
    Stir in the peppers and spring onion and a tiny drizzle of olive oil if you want to. The heat is just to help the flavours develop.
    Stir in the canned beans (drained)
    Give it a few minutes, then take it off the heat, and add in the tomatoes and cucumber.

I like it slightly warm, but I'm sure it would also be nice cold.
    It's just like couscous salad really, but bulghar wheat is lower GI, has a bit more fibre and is (IMHO) a bit more tasty.

We had it as a side dish with some quorn fillets (done like garlic lemon chicken), and a green salad. But I think because it's got all the beans in it, it would be a great lunch on it's own. And I'm sure you could put whatever veg you like in there.
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.