Bulimia

scouzer

Want to do it this time!!
I suffered from Bulimia a few years ago and I advanced to Anorexia. I lost a lot of my hair, had anaemia and was hospitalised for a few months. I went to Nando's today ate half a chicken and two red pepper dips. I got back into uni feeling disgusted. I put my finger in my mouth and I guess you know what happened next. I really don't want to go down this route again.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had any eating disorders and has any advice.
I've been to my doctor and he has advised that I see a shrink (again) but this happens everytime I try a new eating plan.

Thanks.

Scouzer. X

I cant really give any advice, but I just wanted to ask why you felt the need to stick your fingers down your throat after lunch, if you can eat these foods on the SW plan??
Im an over eater and have been until I got a gastric band. For me I never had the "Im full up" button and would just continue eating and only leave the table when comments were made about the quantity I had shovelled in. I love food simple as!
For me, food has been used for celebration, saddness, boredom and guilt all the way through my life until that is the band came along.
I now value food as a substence that keeps me alive and provides me with nutrients etc as well as still enjoyment.
I just wondered if there was anything in your past that has started this all off for you and why you suddenly did it again??

Sorry if being nosy, but I am concerned that it could get worse for you before it gets better and as your GP suggests, you should speak to a counsellor etc about this as although I had an addiction, you have the opposite reaction.

Take care love.

Kerry-Ann
xx

Did you disclose to your consultant before you started SW that you are a recovering bulimic/anorexic? The feelings of guilt associated with falling off any diet plan wagon will be a hundredfold for you as to what it is for us.

For example, I went to a buffet restaurant recently, ate relatively well, rice, salads and chicken, until i got to dessert and had cake, then felt really really bad about it, but I didn't make myself throw up. If you have a consultant please talk to her about this and about how, if you do feel like you're falling off the wagon, that one little slipup, even though it was only Nandos (your chicken syns only total 8, by the way, I can't say for your dips) is NOT the end of the world and you should in fact be applauded for your sensible choice of eating out place.

I was bullied when I was younger. I dreaded going to school because of the fat jokes or digs I would get. My father also used to kinda taunt me about my weight so I guess it has stemmed from there. I have gotten help before and it did work for a while but I feel myself slipping again.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

Scouzer. X

I have told my consultant about it already and she has told me that I would need to have a new evaluation by a counsellor. Elaine (my cons) told me that I needed to be extra careful in regards to my feeling of guilt (as you rightly pointed out Vixxster). I hardly eat now that I started SW and I feel really bad when I eat too much. I'll get it sorted as soon as I can get an appointment to get my head examined again, lol.
Thank you for your advice, once again, I really appreciate it.

Scouzer. X

Sounds like your consultant is a nice one, hopefully she will be there for you if you decide to carry on with Slimming World.

I understand about the dad thing too, and the bullying thing. Both happened to me so if you ever want to talk privately, off the board, please feel free to PM me. I sent you a little PM already.

take care hun, i think you are very brave xx

I can't give you any help really because I have never had bulimia......BUT I do want to urge you to do as your Dr says and get counselling again, it is your best option.

Also I don't think you should be on a dieting plan SW or any other diet, you obviously still have issues with food and bulimia, so I don't think a slimming club is the right environment for you at all.

Arrange counselling again and get well, best wishes and good luck to you. X

hi

im not qualified so really speak on this matter as ive never suffered with a eating disorder or anything but what i will say is go and see your doctor let them help you or try and get you help remember the first step is always the hardest but you have took the first step by admitting you have a problem and i understand on the bullying front how hard it is i was bullied at school for years and hated school as i was bullied sometimes i wish i was strong enough to have stood up to them but i couldnt
goodluck with things and i hope things work out for you

sonya

Thanks everyone. I was officially cured from "bulimia" 4 years ago but I guess there really is no cure. I've been on SW for 3 weeks and have now self-induced vomiting twice. I've only do this when I eat too much. I've gone for four years now eating whatever I wanted and never thought about making myself vomit but as soon as I try and watch what I eat I get really paranoid and obsessed. I'll be checking in with my doctor this week but I'm still gonna carry on with SW because i want to lose weight the proper way otherwise I'll never learn.
Thanks again everyone.

Scouzer. XX

Hi scouzer

i havent suffered from an eating disorder , but my mum suffered from Anorexia , and it was extremley hard and painful to watch her go through it. She did get the help that she needed , and spent some time in an eating disorder hospital which helped her a great deal. As you said though i think that an eating disorder is something that you can never be cured from , but you learn to manage and understand how to control it .

I think the fact that you have come on here and admitted what you have done and you are not hiding it is a great step.

i definatley think that you should visit your Gp , and arrange to have some counciling , if you dont feel comfortable going to a one on one counciling session , ask where there is a group theapy session you can go to , my mum used to go to these and they really helped , talking to like minded people.

sorry if i have waffled on , but as i said have have lived with someone suffering from an eating disorder , a i really want you to get the help that you need.

just remember that this site is full of freindly people , ready and waiting to listen any time that you need it

big hugs to you

xxxxxxx

Hey hunny, I have suffered from bulimia for many years for the exact same reason as you, and everytime i started a new diet and mess it up i would do it! But i not done it for over a year now, The worst one for me was when i was doing cambridge.
I know how you feel though, for me i would mess it up and think oh what the hell and stick my fingers down my throut then i would go eat more, more more more more more then do it all over again! :( it made me so bad i had to have medication for reflux :( ..

I think i am cured now, never seen a counciller for it, i darnt speak to my doctor about it either.

Think you should go discuss this with your doctor again, and get some councilling if it will help, in the mean time you just have to be strong, and think only dieting will make u healthy and lose weight!

Pm me if you need to chat hunny.. x x

Back