Business lunches

MisterQ

Business lunches are the bane of my life, as they can contribute to a hiccup in an otherwise good week.

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where others in a similar position, namely having to entertain or be entertained for business, can share some good ideas for keeping on plan without resorting to fresh fruit, salad or meat 'with visible fat removed' every time.

For instance, yesterday I had a really lovely tomato and spinach soup, with some parmesan (HEX) sprinkled over the top. Much more interesting than melon and Parma ham! Quite filling, too. Even allowed myself a cheeky glass of red to go with it!

Any other ideas out there, please?

Business lunches are the bane of my life, as they can contribute to a hiccup in an otherwise good week.

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where others in a similar position, namely having to entertain or be entertained for business, can share some good ideas for keeping on plan without resorting to fresh fruit, salad or meat 'with visible fat removed' every time.

For instance, yesterday I had a really lovely tomato and spinach soup, with some parmesan (HEX) sprinkled over the top. Much more interesting than melon and Parma ham! Quite filling, too. Even allowed myself a cheeky glass of red to go with it!

Any other ideas out there, please?

If you have a look in the 'Eating Out' subforum there are loads of existing threads that may help you :) good luck

I struggle with business lunches as well. It can be a nightmare trying to find something that isn't a salad in a lot of restaurants & if you are taking clients out you don't want to look like a weirdo!

The worst places are dim sum type restaurants - sharing food that's not even remotely SW friendly!

Thanks Welshtigger - know there's plenty on the forum for eating out although a lot of the time, I'm not in control of where we go...sometimes it is even an 'in house' lunch at one of the larger law firms. Hopefully this may bring together some of the other threads to be a useful 'go to' place for a quick gen up.

kingleds - I'm so glad you said that! Not wanting to look like a weirdo is exactly it. Don't want to go through the whole explanation of the plan, how much I've lost etc. that people feel duty bound to ask, when it becomes common knowledge that you're on a diet/eating plan/watching one's weight...not always an appropriate subject with a client. Getting through these things is sometimes tough enough!

For the in house ones, I tend to just say I am wheat & dairy intolerant - usually all you get some crudités & some chicken on sticks, but at least you don't have to worry about using your healthy extras on bread & cheese!

I think the best thing you can do is try to make the best choice available when you aren't in control of the destination. Stick to tomato based sauces with pasta dishes, avoid any al forno pasta dishes as they will inevitably have cheese on!

Sushi is a good one for lunch - you can look like you are eating lads without actually eating loads, and it fairly low syn.

Various tips I picked up in my working days (no-one takes me out to lunch now I am retired - boo hoo!): You don't have to eat everything on your plate - ignore anything you don't want. Despite what you might have heard, starving children in third world countries will not be any better off if you clear your plate! You don't have to have a starter if you don't want one, ditto a pudding . If you don't draw attention to it, no-one will notice that you are not eating what they are eating You can have a starter as a main course Food "allergies/intolerances" are useful excuses If you are talking and/or listening carefully, you can get away with not eating Smile sweetly at your waiter and ask (quietly) for no sauces or dressings or butter Nearly every restaurant will do a steak.

hi i wondered about that. i work in a shop so don't really get to go out as a manager i have to stay in the shop the whole time. I don't want my volunteers finding out i'm on a low calori diet so wondered how to hide it. Was going to say it's just a cup a soup but wondered how i'll explain my weight loss to them (only work 2 days a week and am sure they'll notice a difference in no time). However, my main concern is a wedding i'm going to in April. I'll still be on my diet then and don't know what to do. (yikes).

Various tips I picked up in my working days (no-one takes me out to lunch now I am retired - boo hoo!): You don't have to eat everything on your plate - ignore anything you don't want. Despite what you might have heard, starving children in third world countries will not be any better off if you clear your plate! You don't have to have a starter if you don't want one, ditto a pudding . If you don't draw attention to it, no-one will notice that you are not eating what they are eating You can have a starter as a main course Food "allergies/intolerances" are useful excuses If you are talking and/or listening carefully, you can get away with not eating Smile sweetly at your waiter and ask (quietly) for no sauces or dressings or butter Nearly every restaurant will do a steak.

All good tips, Anna - I have become very good at 'picking' at things. Also handy when fish is on the menu...mainly because I don't much like the stuff. Easy to nibble at it (covered in pepper or something similar) and just eat the veg. Am a staunch carnivore, but find that the vegetarian option is usually more 'on plan', mainly because of the lack of buttery/creamy sauce.

hi i wondered about that. i work in a shop so don't really get to go out as a manager i have to stay in the shop the whole time. I don't want my volunteers finding out i'm on a low calori diet so wondered how to hide it. Was going to say it's just a cup a soup but wondered how i'll explain my weight loss to them (only work 2 days a week and am sure they'll notice a difference in no time). However, my main concern is a wedding i'm going to in April. I'll still be on my diet then and don't know what to do. (yikes).
You don't have to tell people anything, and you don't have to explain anything. So what if people notice? You don't have to answer anyone's questions.

don't know how to like things yet annafaraday, however, i like your assertive approach. i'm abit of a pushover personality wise (doormat most would say). SOmeone asks me something and i sing like a canary. I have just been offered a weeks temping work all was fine (started sml diet today going well) however, the panic set in around lunch time etc in the new office especially as i'm the newbie. Then i thought (and sorry for being crude) what if i get ketosis breath lol. the things that go through my mind honestly.

right off for my 3rd shake of the day. could get used to this.

Appreciate this is an ancient thread...I'm having a second crack at SW, so just getting back into Minimins!

I have found saying that I'm 'avoiding carbs' works a treat. Everyone seems to just accept it and the conversation moves on...another great thing to do is fill up on sparkling water (the first thing I do, when I sit at a table, is ask for a bottle) and keep sipping during the meal.

Also, very easy to opt for a double espresso or tea at the end of the meal, rather than give in to temptation with a desert!

Good luck everyone :D:D

Back