"But don't lose too much weight!"

chele80

On a mission
How many of you have heard that from family members?

My mum and nan say it to me all the time.

My mum is a size 10 and was a 14 at her heaviest. She's obviously seen my battle with food as an adult, but still insists I shouldn't lose too much. She believes I am prob about 2 stone lighter than I am and when I say I have loads more to lose (I never say how much, she only knows how much I've lost and not my start or current weight), she just says "you can't have that much more to lose" and "don't lose too much"

Am sure it's not just me.........

I suppose they themselves just wouldn't comprehend a new you.

What other reasons do you think people say this to you for?

Yes!! My sister says to me

"you don't look bad"
"you haven't got 6atone on you"
"shut up are u 18stone"
"you'll nake your self ill"

Heard it all before! Its really annoying and I've had to say so. I'll stop when I'm happy with ME!

my family are exactly the same, if i mention dieting they tell me not to be daft because i only gave birth to my son just over 3 months ago & they say my body needs time to recover blah blah.. but ive given it enough time & now i want to whip it back into shape lol. luckily, i don't have to tell my family im doing CD as i live 365 miles away & won't be seeing them again until august so i hope to be at my target size by then.. i was a 20/22 the last time they saw me in november so im hoping the next time i'll have halved & be a 10/12! :D.. although, no doubt they'll then tell me i need to put some on! argh. Xx

sexxymummy said:
my family are exactly the same, if i mention dieting they tell me not to be daft because i only gave birth to my son just over 3 months ago & they say my body needs time to recover blah blah.. but ive given it enough time & now i want to whip it back into shape lol. luckily, i don't have to tell my family im doing CD as i live 365 miles away & won't be seeing them again until august so i hope to be at my target size by then.. i was a 20/22 the last time they saw me in november so im hoping the next time i'll have halved & be a 10/12! :D.. although, no doubt they'll then tell me i need to put some on! argh. Xx

Oh wow, that'll be great. I just hope they keep stupid comments to themselves and congratulate you on all your hard work!!x

Been thinking about this more

My dad smokes loads and has always said to me he'd stop smoking if I stop eating. Well, that's exactly what I've done and all he can say is:
"I don't know how you do it"
"you must have been a right heifer before, you're still big now"
"how much more have you got to lose? You must have been 19 stone before!"

Thanks for the support dad!

I add, he's still smoking
Xx

No, it's very common.....when I got to goal, and then put on about a stone people were saying ohh you look much better, you looked ill before................erm so why didn't you tell me ?

I got the same comments but have you noticed that they're from the same people who will be the first to tell you that you've gotten fat if you put weight on??

Jealousy complex

Yeah this is annoying isn't it!! I also dont tell my mum how much I weigh & she thinks it's loads lighter I can tell! As she says, 'when I was pregnant with you I was huge, I was 11 stone'! Obviously has no idea I would love to be that weight normally never mind pregnant! & someone at work recently told me they were pleased I had put a bit of weight back on as I was starting to look a bit scary before ( l was still nearly a stone off goal & had a bmi over 25 at my slimmest, hardly scary) aah the joys!! Xxxxx

My mum always says 'dont go the other way and lose too much!' As if that's going to happen!!!! My mum is quite supportive though and congratulates me when I tell her how much im losing. My older sister annoyed me though by saying it's a waste of money and why don't I just eat healthy? It's not that simple :( if it was I would have done it years ago!!!!!

I'm getting this quite a a bit now - all said with love I think. The usual you must be finished by now, I think you migh be going to far, you don't want to be too thin because it won't be you, and my personal favourite 'there was nothing wrong with you in the first place'..yadda, yadda yadda and blah, blah blah..lol.

I remember when I got to about 19 pounds off a BMI of 25 last year when my mate said don't lose any more now,your face looked too thin last time(when my average BMI was 24 to 26)......I may have a thin face, but had she not noticed I still possessed a well rounded tummy and enormous boobs!

Must admit I would love to be at the stage of people telling me not to lose much more, got about 3 more stone to go before people will even start to notice!
x

I found a photograph taken five years ago at a wedding. I had lost five stone and i can't quite believe it's me. I wasn't in a good place then and never saw myself as a thin person or even celebrated my new body. Eventually I put it all back on and here I am now! but this time I am more aware of how important it is for your head to adjust as much as your body does. I have put the picture on the fridge, I am 11stone and a size 12 and it suits my height as I'm quite tall.

My sister said "oh you looked disgusting like that.. your not ment to be skinny" I hardly call that skinny!!! my mouth hit the floor I couldn't believe what she said! so this time I havn't told her so when I see her in March it will be too late as I will be slimmer. My GP was happy to sign the forms, my Mum is supportive so they are the only one's that know, because didn't you know everyone is an expert!!! ;)

They said it to me too, the time i lost 4st with lighter life, everyone kept on saying you have to stop now cos you lost too much and my answer used to be: You didn't tell me to start and the time i was morbidly obese you always talk about me behind my back now i lost weight you are coming to my face and tell me to stop for f.....ck sake . (Jealous) Don't ever listen to anyone until you reach your target ladies

It is mad but so true. Someone mentioned to me earlier that someone they work with appearance to have lost several stone and looks great. My friend hadn't seen her for a couple of months so said to her
"have you list weight? Youre looking great"
To which the girl responded
"Ive already stopped"

I thought it was an odd comment, but actually thinking about it, she has probably been batting away comments like "dont you think you've lost enough". Sad really.

I get this all the time, my mum and sister are both size 10, literally eat what they want. I am an 18 and they both tell me nothing is wrong. I can see the physical evidence of my weight gain in photographs over the past few years and they just say but your beautiful the way you are, theres nothing wrong with you!!!

I know they mean it well but can be hard to swallow form someone half your size!1 lol!!!

The other major hater for me is my best friend she is a size 28 and to be honest only getting bigger, she keeps saying you are making yourself ill, gonna put it all back on etc!! I think its just jealously because out of r group we are the biggest 2 and she doesnt want to eb left behind!!

I cant wait for people to tell me am too skinny!! haha!! xx

I completely agree with the above comment!! i have a fare few female friends and me and another are the 'biggest' she is bigger than me, id say size24, but she is always VERY negative about the diet so ive not told her im doing it. However i have told some of my slimmer friends and they are very suportive!! one even told me off the other day when i cheated because 'when u get to goal weight we will be the same size and i can borrow your lovely clothes!' which i fort was lovely that she knows i can do it!!
My mum done LL a while back and lost 3 stone and kept it off any my sister is doing CD with me so my family are very supportive although OH says you are beautiful they way you are, but i dont think he 'sees' how much i have put on.....?

Back