Butternut squash chips :)

I've tried making crisps pre dukan and used my v slicer, but the other way would be to use the potato peeler, its quite thin.

Think you might struggle with a tattie peeler its not like a tattie skin!- they are a pain to peel but the chips are sooooooooooo worth it!!! You can pick a butternut squash up for about a pound (same price as a bag of chips and so much better!!! - did i really just say so much better than chips???? would never have thought that pre-dukan but its so true!!!! :)

Haha Scooter, it's so true - I don't recognise myself from half the stuff that comes out of my mouth these days!

Mmm, food processor, a definite possibility for the new kitchen....

Think you might struggle with a tattie peeler its not like a tattie skin!- they are a pain to peel but the chips are sooooooooooo worth it!!! You can pick a butternut squash up for about a pound (same price as a bag of chips and so much better!!! - did i really just say so much better than chips???? would never have thought that pre-dukan but its so true!!!! :)

Sorry I just had to laugh at this, just shows how so many conversations in one thread can get started. the tattie peeler was a suggestion at making thin slices to make crisps LOL.

I think I'm giong to have to buy one of these next time i go shopping, can someone put up the how to cook bit for these chips pleaseeeeeee.

thanks xxx

I roast at about 200 c for about 20 mins with a bit of light spray oil stuff, also put them on some baking parchment or non-stick sheet. Just keep an eye on them and when they look roasted enough for you and soft when you poke the with a knife-
BINGO !!! Chippy time ! :)

Well I bought one, peeled a third, chopped into chips, roasted in halogen oven and ate them................not sure if I liked them. LOL.

I sprayed with a sweet n sour oil spray I have, tiny bit of salt and then roasted them. I found thema bit too soft (hate soggy chips) having said that, with the quiche and salad I ate them with they weren't too bad. Don't think I'd like them on their own without the seasoning.

another veg to add to the list....thank you xxx

Wow, I never met anyone who didn't like bns before. You're exotic!

LOL jood, I've never actually bought it before. I'm terrible for foods. As kids we ate everythign on our plates, but we both (sis and I) hated veg. have grown up with changing tastes but things like aubergine, butter beans, green beans, cabbage(cooked) I still don't like. hate with a passion. I know my mum has had BNS before but I don't remember having it. Its like parsnips, I like them in mash, but roasted parsnips to me are too smushy, the bns was similar. But I will finish off the whole thing, and keep addign seasoning to it.

I'm glad I've tried it, I actually think my DD will like it too.

i posted some recipes on this topic in my diary a few weeks back. i'll try and dig them up. i was really excited about the prospect of BNS crisps, but in the end it took hours of work, killed my hands (both knuckles and muscles) and wasn't really worth it for the results. i ended up using the rest of the bns for some pudding (mashed it up with quark, cinnamon and splenda) and that was the real discovery! sure, you can use a processor for the crisps (i used a potato peeler), but you need to peel the thing by hand first. and you have to lay out the crisps in a single row on baking sheets, so it took hours to cook all of it, watching carefully for just the right amount of toastiness.

sorry for the buzzkill, and by all means try it if you're seriously craving crisps! but my advice would be to put the bns to better uses, like chunky chips, or mash / pudding, or just roasted like joodle suggested.

have fun!

Cx

i ended up using the rest of the bns for some pudding (mashed it up with quark, cinnamon and splenda) and that was the real discovery!

have fun!

Cx
Oooo, that sounds delicious :)
Know what you mean about the crisps, it would be a labour of love :eek:
Off to check out your diary for more yum inspiration :thankyou:

I used to do crisps in the microwave, can't remember how though. used to have to stand them up on a rack. Though I do seem to remember putting them on greaseproof too.

BNS with quark sounds nice. I presume the BNS was cooked first.

Can you eat it like mash, cook it, mash it, and plonk it on a plate LOL

Yes, it was cooked first :) I had peeled the whole thing anyway, so cut the rest into chunks, threw into boiling water for a bit and then mashed it up. Steaming might work too, I guess.

If you miss potatoes, I think pumpkin and bns come very close.

Thanks Duk, I will have a try tomorrow with some of the rest I bought.

Back