butternut squash

metrognome

is getting better at it
good evening everyone
in the week i brought a rather large nut squash can anyone give me any ideas on what to make with it other than soup and if i just peel and par boil it can it be frozen

thanks
karen

I don't see why it couldn't be frozen... though saying that I've never done it (they don't stick around that long with me!). I like to cut them into lumps and roast them with other vegetables (using fry light or olive oil if you can work it into your healthy extras or syns). I once had a roasted butternut squash and asparagus risotto that was divine! I'm sure you could adapt some of the other SW risotto recipes to make something like that... :)

It does freeze quite well. I hate peeling it, so I tend to prick a whole quash with a fork a few times and bake it whole (takes about 40 minutes on Gas Mark 6). It then peels really easily and you can chop and use it for whatever you want.

I make a butternut and pearl barley stew which is really nice (and simple). Throw the chopped up squash, a few handfuls of pearl barley, some frozen peas, a chopped onion and maybe some carrot into a pan. Add tin of chopped tomatoes and some veg stock. It's very yummy. I realise those ingredients are a bit approximate, but I just do what looks right!

Roast it, definitely. Also is gorgeous in a risotto. Peeling it is a pain in the arse, agree with that one! I have been known to just slit it down the middle lengthways, take out the seeds and roast it with a drizzle of olive oil and some chilli, s&p. Lovely.

I agree it's lovely when roasted in the oven. It also makes a lovely mash! Hmmm... :)

Here is a tip for peeling a BNS. Pop into microwave for 10 seconds at a time - depends on size.
It will peel easily. Someone at class told me this and it works.
Irene

I tried this from the recipe section - and it is absolutely delicious ;)

BUTTERNUT SQUASH CURRY

Serves 2-4 (depending how greedy you are! lol)
Free on Green, 4 syns on red (if serving 4 people)
One butternut squash (approx 1kg in weight)
Onion
100g lentils
1tsp ginger powder or 1 inch of fresh grated ginger
one clove of garlic, chopped or crushed
sprinkle of chilli flakes
3 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp coriander powder
the seeds of 3 cardomom pods
sprinkle of turmeric
1 tin chopped tomatoes
veg stock
baby spinach
I made this the other day and it is lovely!
Chop and saute the onion in fry light. Peel and dice the squash and add to the pan, saute for a further 10 minutes or so.
Add the ginger, cumin, garlic, coriander, cardomom pods, turmeric and chilli flakes, stir well and saute for a few more minutes. Drain the tomatoes and keep the juice to one sidel. Add the tomatoes to the pan stir well.
Use veg stock to make the tomato juice up to 600mls, pour into the pan and add the lentils. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.
Transfer to an oven proff lidded dish then put in the oven, preheated to 170, and cook for 30-45 minutes.
Remove from oven, stir in spinach, replace lid until wilted then serve.

You don't really need to peel a butternut squash. Once it's cooked, the skin goes quite soft. Maybe if you're going to make a smooth soup then peel it or you might see the bits of blitzed skin, but otherwise, it's perfectly edible and soft once cooked.

I have eaten it a few times when I've roasted it - Minders is right, it does go pretty soft.

I wouldn't eat it every time, but if you're after some extra 'roughage' it's ideal! LOL

Roast it, definitely.I have been known to just slit it down the middle lengthways, take out the seeds and roast it with a drizzle of olive oil and some chilli, s&p. Lovely.

Mmmm now that dose sound nice :)

I bake the squash for the purpose of freezing it. I bake the squash, scoop it out of the skin and puree it. I use a cookie scoop to put balls of the puree on a cookie sheet that has waxed paper or a silicone sheet on it so the puree balls won't stick. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer overnight and the puree butternut squash balls should be frozen. Take the balls off the cookie sheet and put in a ziplock bag and put in freezer. I tried using a ice cube tray, but the puree is so thick, I broke a tray trying to remove the puree from it.

I use the puree in almost anything I want to add some good vitamins to the food. The butternut squash puree is so bland, it can be added to almost anything and you won't notice it. It's good in scrambled eggs, pancakes, rice, soups, etc.

I do the same thing with carrots and cauliflower, cook them until soft, puree, freeze in the same way as the butternut squash, and use in soups, add to starches (rice, couscous, barley, etc) to add color and vitamins. The cauliflower was a bit strong in taste so I don't use as much as when I use the squash or carrots.

Christy

And the seeds are delicious sprayed with frylight and roasted till crisp and brown, but you'd have to count them as points.

RECIPE - Spicy chilli and butternut squash risotto (makes 4 servings)
  1. Bring 852ml/1½ pts stock made with Vecon to the boil in a saucepan. Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan or saucepan with Fry Light. Add 1 finely chopped red onion, 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic and 1 deseeded and finely sliced chilli, and cook gently for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Increase the heat under the frying pan to medium and add 255g/9oz of Arborio or risotto rice to the pan, along with 140g/5oz chopped butternut squash. Stir in a ladleful of the hot stock.
  3. Wait until the stock has been absorbed, then continue to add a ladleful of boiling stock at a time, as soon as each addition of liquid has been absorbed. Stir constantly to prevent it from sticking.
Add the stock in this way until the squash and rice are creamy and al dente (tender, but retaining a bite). Season, stir in some parsley and serve

+++ I think I found this on this site a while ago - it really is lovely +++++++++

That's the recipe I use as well, but I put in HE-A parmesan in it too. Very creamy :)

i make butternut squash rissoto. dont know exact quantities at the mo as im at work but it includes butternut squash, onions, red chillie, stock and arborio rice x hope that helps?? let me know if u want an exact copy of the recipe, i can highly reccomend it, its lush!!!

I always cut squash in half, and scoop out the seeds, then put it cut side down on a baking tray and roast it in the oven. It goes beautifully soft and delicious. Also the skin peels off in one go which is handy. I roasted it last time for about 45 mins and it went so soft I didn't have to get the blender out to make it into soup, I just mixed it with stock and ginger. Mmmmmmm. :)

Back