Bye Bye Fatty .... starting today!

MrsNas

I've spent my life either on a diet or thinking about being on a diet - I've tried most of the fad diets out there, dukan, exante, weight watchers, carb counting - I have the short term successes and then put it all back on (along with a bit more for good measure)-.. and now I have really outdone myself and hit a magic number on the scales that I cant quite believe, I look at the fatty in photos - then realise it's me!

So, here I am, starting again and more determined than ever. I have decided Slimming world is for me - I can eat normally and make good choices and when I'm away from home (I work overseas a lot) I can still carry on with this way of eating relatively hassle free. I did really want to join a local class, but as I spend so much time away from home - missing class could become another factor in falling off the wagon. So I've bought the books and keeping a diary on here is my way of being honest with myself and keeping track of everything I am eating / doing.. I've spent ages looking through this website and its pretty inspiring as well as helpful.

I did slimming world years ago - back in the days where it was only red or green - and may struggle with the new format a little bit but am sure I will get used to it .. any help or encouraging words at any point would really be appreciated..

(eeeeeeek - I am actually excited to be starting this! - is that sad?)
:D

Hello .. im a newbie and only started on Thursday so my first weigh in is in a few days!
The extra easy is really good, im not really aware of how the red and green days work as my adviser has told me to stick to the extra easy plan. I can have as much fruit and veg as i want, I have a healthy a and b option everyday and I try and use the SW recipes for my evening meal, i keep picking the ones that are syn free but then struggling to get my syns in each day - I think its really good as you can have a chocolate bar or a packet of crisps as part of your syn so that your not stopping yourself from having naughty things completely and then not going on a full on binge if you've had a bad day.

My tip would be to make sure you have a snack bar/fruit in your bag incase you get hungry!

All the best :)

Hi there
I'm from Leeds too and started a food diary a couple of days ago.
I'm doing mainly green as I struggle with the 1/3 plate of free food. It seems mad doing the green version when I'm not a lover of veg, but it helps restrict me and I get to eat lots of lovely carbs.
I'd love a diet buddy if you'd like to hook up? I'm following the plan on my too.

Good luck
Mandy x

Thanks Lou- I think I will try and stick with the Easy Extra too (you made it sound pretty easy) .. I just bought the slimming world magazine and it has some great recipes in it so I am going to give them a go, some of them I cant believe are even slimming world they look so delicious (and naughty) .. I think I will be fine while I am at home or at work, I struggle when I am away with work - next week I'm in poland so am going to have to take my books with me and hope I can figure it out (I'm not sure what the choices will be) .. lots of fruit and veg if all else fails. I am so determined to do it this time .. I suppose the key is .. if you fall off get right back on again!

Have you tried any SW recipes that you really enjoyed so far?

Good luck with your first weigh in too!

x

Hi Mandy,

I'd definitely be up for a diet buddy to keep me on track (and vice versa I hope!) .. How is it going doing mainly green? any tips?
Good luck with it and well done on the weightloss so far!

x

Started to reply and got a message that I could set an avatar - I'm going up in the world lol. I'm at work at the mo, so I'll mess around with that when I'm on my own laptop.

I need all the help I can get to stay on track so having a friend is excellent, we can do this!

I'm finding green ok, I use my extra hexb for some meat or fish. Extra easy was ridiculously easy, and I even managed to lose on that. I was advised to do green because it's slightly more restrictive and will stop me over doing it with missing out on the large amounts of veg. I do try to include as much as I can, but just don't like the stuff. If only cake and biscuits were free food...

It's going to be tricky for you when you go away, do you go for long periods?

I'm taking my very miserable Mum away for the weekend and if I manage not to drink wine and binge it'll be a miracle ;-)

I have been using the SW website and so far i have had and loved the turkey burgers, beef and mixed bean chilli, beef chilli noodles and chicken and veg rice. i have also made soup for lunches so fingers crossed it works on Thursday.

My adviser said that if you stick to 1/3 of your plate superfree (veg/fruit) and 2/3 free (protein/carbs) you will do fine, a girl at my class said she did it the other way round and doing 2/3 fruit/veg and so on and she was losing 5-6lbs a week so i suppose it depends on how you much you need to lose and how you fast you want to do it!

:)

haha Mandy - that made me LOL! Are you going anywhere nice?

I'm heading up to Cardiff this weekend - meeting some friends for dinner and drinks so I probably havent really picked the best week to start SW.. I'll try and stick to vodka (red wine is one of my favourite things ever - so could be tough) and close my eyes when I walk past the hash browns and sausages at breakfast.. ah well no pain no gain and all that (or hopefully no loss in this case)

I'll be in Poland from Sunday until Friday so my food diary next week may be a little bit strange.. usually I'm only away for a week - ten days at a time, although last year was worse - I spent a month living out of a hotel in Amercia .. I swear it is IMPOSSIBLE to he healthy over there - even their healthy options are supersized.

I know exactly what you mean about the Extra Easy seeming too easy .. I agree it doesnt really seem like a diet at all, but at the same time it will help me walk past the biscuit tin and know when to stop at just one, not just grab stuff thats convenient and so on. If I dont lose much on that then I think I will revert back to red and green I think ..

Do you have a set day that you weigh on or do you just play it by ear? I was hoping for every Tuesday but next week will have to be saturday when I am back unless I pack my scales in my suitcase (am not that extreme - honest!)

Have you Avatar'ed yet? It will definitely be good to have someone who can keep me going on this too .. I can be quite bad for losing interest at the first point of failure and I figured these boards would keep me going :) .. Fingers crossed and good luck to us!

Thanks Lou for directing me to the SW website - I'm not sure why but I thought you could only use it if you went to the classes .. just found some lovely recipes on there .. between that website and working my way through the recipes in the magazine I have no excuses.. I like the idea of 2/3 free and 1/3 superfree .. not sure I could keep up with 2/3 of a plate of superfree foods .. not forever anyway! although 5-6lb a week is MAMMOTH!!

I'll post my first days food diary before I go to bed (when I am sure that I have definitely finished eating hehe)

xxx

Morning!
I've always wanted to go to Cardiff, but not made it there yet, it sounds like a good weekend. I know it's the wrong attitude but I never diet on holiday or if I have a special occasion, life is for living there are plenty of ordinary days when you can follow the plan - fortunately I don't get out much lol. I'm going to a log cabin in Sherwood forest from Friday to Monday, I really hope it doesn't rain.

It can't be easy for you sticking to plan when you travel so much, what an exciting life though, it sounds more interesting than my office job!

I plan to weigh in every Friday, the thought behind it is I can mess up a bit at the weekend then have all week to be good before I have to face the scales.

I've got an avatar! It was taken on holiday last year - I'm now fatter and paler lol.

Have a good day and stay focussed, together we can do this xx

I love the SW website I think its great!

My weigh in is on a Thursday at 7pm which I am hating the thought of, I have always weighed myself in the morning in the past but I suppose if its the same time every week its consistent!

Good luck to both of you while your away on the healthy eating!

x

Aw, thanks Lou
I prefer to get weighed in the morning too, naked and after going to the loo ;)
You'll be fine if it's the same time of day every week, it's just the first time that makes you feel heavier than ever!!

Yes definitely - im thinking i should of wore lots of heavy clothes last week and not so many this week.. haha!

:)

You'll be fine Lou - just make sure you dont eat dumplings or anything before you go! The first time I did slimming world i was a student (many years ago) - I remember we used to get weighed on a Tuesday night and I would eat nothing except crisps on a Tuesday (really stupid logic when I think about it now) but Tuesday was my favourite day of the week!

Mandy - so nice to see you in your piccie .. I'm not pro enough at this to have an avatar yet .. lovely picture looking very tanned and glamorous and I love the fact you have a glass in hand as well! A weekend in Sherwood forest will be lovely - fingers crossed there will be no rain! (although log cabins are very cosy in the rain) WHat have you got planned while you are there? If you are doing a bit of walking then you have cancelled out the wine points already! BTW - I agree with the idea of enjoying your food on holiday :)

Lou - how are you feeling about weigh in tomorrow? Have you been sneaking a peek on the bathroom scales at home? WHat have you got planned for the weekend?

Do you both find it easier or harder to stay on track over the weekend?

Hey MrsNas I am from Leeds too lol. I think slimming world is the way to go and is pretty easy to do. Let us know how you get on. Do you have access to the lifeline online as that is really helpful and you can keep a food on there too.

Good luck and keep us posted x

Hi Missa, Thanks for the message .. I've not really heard of the lifeline online - .. what is it?

Its just slimming world online. I think someone mentioned it in another post on here earlier. Plus, if you have a smart phone you can download the app which isn't brilliant but it has the syns database on there so you can find out the syns value of things and track them.

Just remembered that I am supposed to be posting my food diary on here too - haha so busy chatting instead :) SO here goes today and yesterday ..

Tuesday:

Breakfast
Blueberries, total 0% yoghurt, tesco granola (7 syns - grr!!)

Lunch:
Cabbage, broccoli, carrots, spinach and gravy (5 syns for gravy made with meat juices)

Dinner:

salmon fillet, noodles, pak choi, spring onions, chilli, sweet chilli sauce (2 syns)

Snacks:

2 x slices wholemeal bread (HexB), 1 Banana

numerous cups of coffee with milk (HexA)

Total syns: 14

Wednesday
Had meetings most of today so not much chance to eat and I wasnt as prepared as I hoped I would be ...

Breakfast / Lunch
2 x babybel light cheese (HexA)
melon, pineapple

Dinner:
Steak, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, SW chips, mushroom sauce (only had a little sauce so guessing at 5 syns)

Strawberries and Total 0% yoghurt

snack
1 x bag snack a jacks curls (4.5 syns)
1 x babybel light (HexA)
1 x Alpen Light bar (Hex B)

Total Syns: 9.5

Still feeling very easy so far .. but it has kept me away from the biscuits and made me think so I suppose it's working!

if you have a smart phone you can download the app which isn't brilliant but it has the syns database on there so you can find out the syns value of things and track them.

Genius - I will download the app now - the Syn bit is what I find hardest as if its not in the book I have no idea how many syns things are .. I have been trying to google different foods in the hope that someone has posted the same food on a website somewhere else :)

have gotten some great ideas from this site though and SW magazines so far .. do you have any SW friendly favourite foods?

Total 0% yoghurt has always been my saviour on any diet - I love it

Back