Calorie counting advice

I think I have the right idea. I'm going to be in a 1000 calorie deficit to lose 2 pounds a week.

So as long as I'm 1000 calories down a day i should notice weight loss?

Do I need to switch everything to wholemeal and start drinking semi skimmed milk?

Also has anyone calorie counted and not lost as much weight as they thought?

Thanks

You don't need to switch everything like drink skimmed milk and eat brown bread. Depends what your goal is. If you want to eat healthier, then you should probably make changes like that. If you just want to lose weight, then you don't have to. Although, it makes it easier sometimes. Like semi skimmed milk is less calories than whole milk so you can use them calories for something else. And if you bulk out meals with veggies or salad which are low calorie, you have extra calories for something else :)

I personally this is what is the real beauty of calorie counting for me if you don't want to, no you don't have to go to Skimmed Milk and wholemeal (although wholemeal would be a healthy change to make) you don't have to if you don't want to. Just make sure you stick to you calories :)

I use Skimmed milk because it means I can use calories on something else (didn't want to waste mine on milk - that's just me though)

Thanks for the advice. Please could someone explain this to me?

My BMR is 2238 and to lose 2lbs a week according to MyFitnessPal it wants me to consume 1560 a day which is only a decrease of 678. I thought it's a decrease of 1000 calories a day for 2lb a week loss?

My exercise level is sedentary.

Are you male? Could be that. I know minimum for us is 1200 cals. So even if you put in 2lb a week loss, most it'll go down to is 1200 cals a day. And I THINK the minimum for males is more. So possibly that.

parfittaroles - if you are looking to lose 2lb, you do. Works out to 250cals less a day for every half pound you wanna lose that week. If you had 500 cals less a day for a week would add up to 3500 by the end of the week, so that would be a 1lb loss :)

You put your activity level to sedentary so shouldn't be that. Why don't you change your goal to maintain, see what number of calories it gives, and then check if its 1000 more than that?

Bostik said:
parfittaroles - if you are looking to lose 2lb, you do. Works out to 250cals less a day for every half pound you wanna lose that week. If you had 500 cals less a day for a week would add up to 3500 by the end of the week, so that would be a 1lb loss :)

Ahhh, sorry! my maths is terrible ;)

Thanks for the advice. Please could someone explain this to me?

My BMR is 2238 and to lose 2lbs a week according to MyFitnessPal it wants me to consume 1560 a day which is only a decrease of 678. I thought it's a decrease of 1000 calories a day for 2lb a week loss?

My exercise level is sedentary.

Maybe it has something to do with the The Harris-Benedict formula.

This is a multiplyer on top of your BMR, and perhaps MyFitnessPal is taking this into account.

It applies even to sedentry lifestyles.

Using your details it would be 2238 * 1.2 = 2686 less 1000 = 1686 which is 100 calories away from the target they have given you rather than the 400 you currently have calced.

I guess only real way to find out is to ask them.

So if maintainence calories is 2560, then you will be in a 1000 calorie deficit on 1560. Should be right then.

Maybe it is what Yesterday said above. I do know that maintenance cals is higher than BMR and it was explained on the MFP forums before so I do remember reading why but I can't remember now cos it was almost a year ago.

Give it a go. If you aren't losing the 2lbs a week and stick to it properly, then you could lower it yourself? Just find what works for you :)

Back