Calories V Slimming World

Victoria_30

Is it just me or is anybody else starting to get a little worried about "calories" being metioned a little too often on this site when doing the SW plan.

I have done the plan around 5 times over the last 10 years and can honestly say have NEVER counted a single calorie and had fantastic losses when folliwing the plan 100%.

I just feel that all that calorie talk is best left to the calorie controlled plans that focus on calorie calorie counting as their basis.

Why complicate the plan when SW have worked so hard to make it as simple as possible for us to follow? xx

One of the things that I like so much about the Slimming World diet is that there is no calorie counting and like you I follow it 100% and find it the most successful of all diets. I never feel hungry on this diet plan.

fillymum

on my 1st week i went mad on mullerlites - coz i was new and only thing i understood LOL... and there 92 cals per pot... + all my other things i could eat... and i lost 5lb!! so that shows with this diet calories mean NOTHING... the diet works on syns and fat free AND it works :) .... i'm quite relaxed not counting calories as this really isn't a diet its a way of life now it's forever even when we get to target :)

it's like my friend she thinks less syns she eats more she'll lose... and shes not as 'diet' needs syns to work.

its us newbies who are worrying about it, i worry about how many points i have. Its hard when you are doing something new that is totally difffret to what you are used to, to believe it will work without having seen it will work yet.

its us newbies who are worrying about it, i worry about how many points i have. Its hard when you are doing something new that is totally difffret to what you are used to, to believe it will work without having seen it will work yet.

I understand the anxiety. It eases up as you realise that the plan does work. Obviously, it's going to take time to trust SW completely, especially if you've been on something more controlled before.

I calorie counted for over 2 years, it does become an obsession....but with sw you really dont need to. I must admit it took me a couple of weeks to trust the plan but now I know it works it feels great not having to worry about how many calories things have but still lose weight. Ditch the calorie counting, I am now definatly a convert!

I dont actuall calorie count but you cant help seeing something and thinking thats 'however many' points.
Once ive done a full week and seen if i have a loss i think i will relax a bit :)

Hmm, I half agree....
I don't count calories, however, I keep an eye on certain foods. I only mention calories with regards to snacks. Yes, things can be eaten freely but is a 300 calories mugshot really a snack or is a 50 calorie apple a snack?

If you "snacked" on a couple of mugshots (600 cals) and 2 mullerlights (200 cals) etc then you could easily stop yourself losing, or losing as quickly as you want to (the only lost a pound mantra springs to mind here).

Also, if I'm out and having an "off plan" lunch - for example a sandwich/wrap/panini at Starbucks, then I will look at the cals and pick the lowest cal I like.

So, yes, leave calorie counting to the calorie counters but IMO certain things need to be kept an eye on.

The only calories i ever look at are when eating stuff that is syns to work out roughly how many it is when i have no way of finding out. I trust the plan 100% but like jaylou said " don't count calories, however, I keep an eye on certain foods. I only mention calories with regards to snacks. Yes, things can be eaten freely but is a 300 calories mugshot really a snack or is a 50 calorie apple a snack?"

I knew someone who lost very little till we found out she was eat 5-6 mullers a day plus 3 mug shots. Its a good idea to know when it comes to certain food how much you are consuming.

I knew someone who lost very little till we found out she was eat 5-6 mullers a day plus 3 mug shots. Its a good idea to know when it comes to certain food how much you are consuming.

I think this is the reason SW are now saying "make superfree foods your first choice for snacks" - there's method in their perceived madness!!
I also can see a day (and this is my speculation) that things like mugshots/supernoodles etc are no longer free.....)

anyway, back on topic - I agree with kissme, that's the reason to keep an eye on certain food calories :D

I wouldnt even touch a mugshot as I have to admit to reading the packet!!! Certain foods should be down to common sense I think you get to know what does and doesnt help your weightloss.

I dont bother calorie counting, its too complicated and would confuse me!
Thats the beauty of SW, you dont have to think about calorie counting as long as you are following the plan 100%.

A agree with Jaylou and Snuggle with regards to common sense snacking, I think as an individual who is embarking on SW as an eating plan for life then snacking on 6 mugshots/mullerlights a day isn't sensible or nor would it be deemed a "normal" way of eating. I think to an extent we do have a responsibility to choose healthier more benficial snacks for example fruit between meals.

I am a total control frek lol. Also I am very scientifically minded - I have to understand how things work. I understand ww and cal counting as its mathmatical, it makes sense. However to me sw doesn't make sense - it just WORKS!!!! I KNOW it works, but I want it to make sense if you see what I mean. So I can't help looking for the lowest cal item, even in free foods eg yoghurts. Even tho I know I shouldn't!!!

I know that SW works as I've lost 3 stone without calorie counting. However, now as I'm getting closer to target I'm finding it harder to lose weight. I've started doing a lot more exercise but that's making me hungrier so I'm eating a bit more. I'm not going to count calories but I want to be aware of higher calorie free foods such as Mugshots and keep them to the absolute minimum. For me I have to really stick to the 1/3 superfree rule and snacking on superfree. I also need to limit my carbs and do more red days. I can't wait to get to target but it's going to take me a long time and I have to be patient.

I'm trying really hard not to calorie count, or equate it to WW points, but its trying at times. Especially when everything you buy, even recommended at meeting products, have a big "ONLY X CALORIES" on the front.

However, I'm trying to relax into it, and see how I get on. I've not mentioned calories yet, only the volume of food, but its a work in progress I think :D

I think as an individual who is embarking on SW as an eating plan for life then snacking on 6 mugshots/mullerlights a day isn't sensible or nor would it be deemed a "normal" way of eating. I think to an extent we do have a responsibility to choose healthier more benficial snacks for example fruit between meals.

I definatly agree! Last night I had a jacket potato with steak au poivre.

Now I'm a little bit of feeder when it comes to men. But i Had 2 large jacket potatos and he got the biggest, he also got 2/3 of the steak and equal sauce to me sauce. I never counted a single calorie but i knew by simply choosing the slightly smaller portion (wasnt smaller by much) that i was instantly and conciously and gently controling my food intake. I do tend to eat more fruit and veg than he does as i tend to feel i want to snack more and i can eat resonably by simply pilling more veges and fruit, altho he does eat the right amount of fruit and veges. and im also aware that he needs more to eat than me.

I see that as a sensible way of eating. I barely ever snack on anything that isnt SF. and I dont understand how someone can think that so many mugshot/mullers is a normal way of eating tbh.

I think this sounds harsh but you know me open my mouth and think later.

For one reason or another all of us have abused food to a certain extent to be unhappy with our weight.

And people that eat that amount of mugshot/mullers IMO have kinda contined the food abuse really, they are just doing it in a more structured way, and i know this plan is eat as much as you like really and sometimes when people see that they lose all self control and think of it as an excuse to see how much they can eat, which isnt the point of the plan. I havent meant to offend anyone but i couldnt think of a better way to put it.

It is great that we don't need to worry about calories on SW, but I do agree that when it comes to snacks we do need to be careful.

Just because a food is "free" shouldn't mean that we can eat it at any time. A MugShot should be a meal, not a snack. Chicken, eggs, ham, etc., should be parts of a meal, not a snack. A MullerLight yogurt should be a dessert, not a snack.

I believe we need to rethink the whole idea of when we eat. We seem to think that it is OK to eat all the time. Personally I find that if I am out and about, shopping, or walking or whatever, and keeping busy, I don't have snacks at all. But if I am around the house or working on my computer, then I do tend to stray to the kitchen for something to nibble. It is not as if I need it, or even - if I am honest - that I am hungry. I just "feel like" eating something.

I think that the new SW policy of stressing superfree foods as snacks is a good one, especially if it makes us think more about what we are eating outside of mealtimes.

I agree with you for the most part Avisk, although I think a yogurt is fair game as a snack :)

I generally have 3 meals a day, and usually 2-3 snacks a day. I also look at calories when it comes to snacks. I don't personally snack on anything that is over 100 calsish (usually), and most of the time that is fruit, but sometimes I don't always fancy fruit. Sometimes I want a cereal bar, or a choccie bar or a yogurt and I can be happy knowing that it's pretty low cal.

I think if you are out shopping for dinner, if its lower in sat fat and cals, then its lower in syns. There is no need to put a downer on certain foods because its high in cals, even though its free in syns, its limitation we all need to learn and balance. Plus, if SW have said its Free, then its Free and again, in limitation( No one can surely eat a whole pack of pasta in one meal, its just crazy). Its a healthy way to eat anyway and the SF foods boost the loss even more.

Last edited:
Back