Calories

mia_angel

Silver Member
I know we dont count calories, but do you ever count up some of the calories you are eating and worry?

I am saving my syns tomorrow for an evening treat, 2 creme caramels (12 syns) and 2 x alpen light bars (HEB)

But when you count up the calories, its around 350 calories :eek:

Okay im not eating loads during the day, but im used to counting calories when i was on slimfast which were around, 1,300 cals a day.

Basically i keep thinking im eating too much!

This is my food diary

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-food-diaries/186676-mias-food-diary-2.html#post3165396

xxx

I have never worried about calories doing sw as I have never done any other diet so the calorie thing means nothing to me.
Now with treats like chocolate, biscuits, cake and crisps etc I tend to only look at the calories of those so I can easily work out the syn value being 20 cals = 1 syn!
xxx

You need to forget about calories on this diet.

The geeks behind the plan at head office have spent ages working out how we can follow this diet without having to worry about counting every bite.

The reality is that the majority of the food we consume is very low in calories, high in nutrients, low in fat and both fills you up and releases energy slowly. If you did count up all the calories you've eaten on an average day (which i've done before), you would probably find you were eating around 1500 calories. Yes the syns are higher in calories, but that's exactly why we're only allowed a limited amount of them each day.

Counting calories was my downfall from the start. When I was 16, I became so obsessed with counting calories that I would aim to eat less than 1000, then less than 800, even less than 700 a day. Needless to say, I lost weight. But I looked, and felt, absolutely shocking.

This is why Slimming World is the only diet I'll ever attempt now. NOTHING is off limits, and you soon realise that you can eat 2000 calories a day and STILL lose weight, simply because they are the RIGHT calories.

Totally understand how counting calories can take precedence over everything though.

/endwaffle

I became quite obsessed with slimfast and would aim at 1000 calories a day, took me a while to realise it wasnt good for me and i needed to start eating healthy. I guess when you want to loose weight quickly you think if i eat less i will. Its hard to break a habit after so many years.

I agree. It's one of the hardest things to do. The 'logical' thing to do is to think that eating less = losing more.

Don't know if anyone has been watching Biggest Loser, but one couple had extremely small losses, simply because they counted calories and restricted themselves too much. Guess we just need to get our heads around smaller meals, frequently! :)

L-J

Absolutely - one of the mistakes I think a lot of people make, especially the larger ones, is to think diet = veg sticks and fruit, and the less you eat the better. Then they have a * week or some other reason why they retain water and think they need to cut back even more. If you don't eat enough you won't lose weight.

As for the SW thing, if you are following the diet you should lose because as a previous poster said on average you will eat around 1500 cals. The Hexs and syns are part of the plan, and help you to not feel deprived, so don't feel guilty about eating them.

I try to reason undeserved gains when I have followed the plan 100% with normal weight fluctuations. At target you are given 3lbs either side of your target weight to account for these fluctuations. So what happens when you are losing? Does your weight automatically stop fluctuating - course it doesnt :p So I think that is the reason why sometimes people get undeserved gains or even losses! And that it all evens out in the end :)

Well, it makes sense in my little head anyway and stops me getting disheartened :D

mia_angel said:
There seems to be a few people on here who have stuck to the plan 100% and gained, which makes you wonder why x

Possibly not eating enough super speed food etc it happened to me now I'm ok with it x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

oh dont get me wrong, i did slimming world years ago and lost a lot of weight, but i have to stick to red days as the green days dont work for me x

mia_angel said:
oh dont get me wrong, i did slimming world years ago and lost a lot of weight, but i have to stick to red days as the green days dont work for me x

Why not try EE ? X

I try to reason undeserved gains when I have followed the plan 100% with normal weight fluctuations. At target you are given 3lbs either side of your target weight to account for these fluctuations. So what happens when you are losing? Does your weight automatically stop fluctuating - course it doesnt :p So I think that is the reason why sometimes people get undeserved gains or even losses! And that it all evens out in the end :)

Well, it makes sense in my little head anyway and stops me getting disheartened :D

Great post - makes perfect sense to me.

mia_angel said:
I have to limit my carbs as i dont loose weight with them, so red days with added small amounts of carbs from healthy extras or sins work best for me x

Oh got you :) I do EE but never go mad with carbs , what works for one dosent work for another x

I know we dont count calories, but do you ever count up some of the calories you are eating and worry?

. . .

Could I make a suggestion? Read that sentence again.

You already know that on SW it is not necessary to count calories, but you are doing it anyway, and by doing so you are giving yourself something to worry about.

In this life there are enough things that we have to worry about, without creating extra unnecessary worries.

You know the plan works, so try to trust it, and not make life more difficult for yourself.

Could I make a suggestion? Read that sentence again.

You already know that on SW it is not necessary to count calories, but you are doing it anyway, and by doing so you are giving yourself something to worry about.

In this life there are enough things that we have to worry about, without creating extra unnecessary worries.

You know the plan works, so try to trust it, and not make life more difficult for yourself.

Very well said! You are so right xx

Back