Cambridge and Breast feeding?

Sunflowers

Wants to be a yummy mummy
Anyone know if I can do cambridge while still breastfeeding? My daughter is 11 months old now and I'm getting a bit fed up of being the same weight still as when she was born.. Up until now my milk has gone if I've started to lose weight but I'm thinking now she's nearly a year old I don't mind if she starts weaning from the feeding now.. I did CD in the run up to my wedding and it really worked for me!

Any ideas?

I presume you little one is taking solids now as well? I doubt you could do SS or SS+ cause you'll be losing more calories than most through your milk. I don't know what the official guidelines from CD are though.

I know how you feel about your weight. My daughter was 11 and a half months when I weaned her off the breast because I was just so sick of not being able to shift any weight. Health professionals all tell you breastfeeding helps you regain your figure, but all it did for me was make me constantly hungry!

Tell me about it - I thought pregnancy hunger was bad but it's nothing compared to breastfeeding hunger!

Yeah, we started babyled weaning with her when she was 6 months!

I think most diets advice against breastfeeding whilst on a diet. But see whether any cdc's are around, they should be able to tell you for a fact.

From my midwifery days we used to tell women to consume an extra 300-500 cals a day to help provide good quality milk with the right amount of fat in it.
If you are nly taking in approx 400 cals on SS, it jsut doesn't add up.

Also, CD state that this diet is contraindicated whilst pregnant or breast feeding.

x

You'll have to weigh up your desire to lose weight over the desire to feed her. She is at a nice age now to wean off the breast should you choose to, as she can start having whole cows milk from 12 months. Does she take other dairy products easily? My little one had a major dairy intolerance and couldn't have yoghurt or cheese while I was still feeding, but as soon as she was off the breast, she was fine and now loves milk.

Have a good think about things, discuss it with hubby and make the calls if you decide CD is the way to go. One bit of advise I would give is that you're going to feel crappy for a good few days while your milk is drying up, so I'd wait to get that out of the way before starting CD. If you do chose to continue feeding, would WW make your milk dry up?

Don't know about WW, but I'm fairly sure you can do SW while breastfeeding.

As others have said, it comes down to whether you're ready to stop feed babs yourself. I'm pretty sure doing CD isn't a great idea whilst breastfeeding. Those 450 calories a day on SS just wouldn't go far enough... :)

I know that you can do WW whilst breastfeeding, its 10 points extra for exclusive breastfeeding, 5 points extra for if your baby has solids too, but OP mentioned that losing weight in the past has caused her milk to dry up. I did WW when my daughter was about 4 months old but didn't lose an ounce, and in all honesty it was because I couldn't eat enough points. I had to have 36 points a day, the group leader even told me to start eating McDonalds.

LOL, Lisa, 36 points??? :eek:

My apologies for not reading your first post properly, Sunflowers.

I think it's going to have to wait then until she self-weans (or she gets to 2, which ever is first!!) - at the moment the desire to feed her is just about bigger than the desire to lose weight.. I hate being this size though and knowing how successul cd was before isn't helping!

I was naughty and did still feed my baby at night when I started CD but the milk supply dried up really quickly, plus I was exhausted,so definitely a no-no.HTH

Thanks rose, that's useful to know!

Hi Sunflowers.... I like rose was naughty too and still bf when I 1st started CD.... Leon was 15 mths and down to 2 small feeds a day.... I must admit it did make me feel completely knackered but it also made the weaning incredibly easy.... he did it himself 3 weeks after starting CD... there was so little milk left (I didn't dry up completely, and for that matter still haven't grrrr) that he was quite happy to take a cup at night and didn't even blink as if it was anything different from the norm..... I was sooooo pleased as I was really attached to BF and was so worried about stopping and upsetting Leon.

Anyway.... enough of my babble.... do whats right for you and your little one..... inevitably if you do start CD the feeding will stop as there just isn't enough for you and the little one. Good luck xxx

Jules you make a lot of sense - I think when you've bf for so long it IS an attatchement thing, for both the baby and the mother really.. I must admit my husband said that if CD dries up my milk then it will make her wean anyway, she certainly doesn't look for it if my husband has her for the day while I'm at work (the joys of us both working shifts!!) but she does asociate it with me - if the cupboard is bare so to speak then that will help her wean instead of me denying what she wants to her!

We have decided that I'm going to start CD at the end of the month, that will give me 3 weeks to cut down on feeds and then stop at the end of the month! Gosh, that looks quite final when you look at it like that.. I do feel ready though now, I've put her needs first for 12 months but me being this heavy isn't healthy and she needs a healthy mummy now more than she needs a boob!

Ah.... well done for making a decision.... and trust me the benefits of being slim will far out weigh the BF now..... for both of you. I don't know what sort of things you do with our LO or how much you have to lose but its things like seeing her face when you CAN take her on the fun fair rides, climb up those tiny tunnels in the soft play centre, or aren't too embarrassed to put on a swimming costume and take her for a dip..... its fantastic.

Good luck with your journey.... xxx

I do take her swimming twice a week but I'm the biggest mummy there and the soft play tunnels are a squeeze! I want to lose 4.5st to take meback to the size 10 I was on our wedding day!

Your decision sounds a sensible one, Sunflower.

I just want to say a HUUUUUUUUUUGE well done for 11 months of Breastfeeding!!! Good on you!

Back