Cambridge Diet advice needed ** concern for a friend**

Louise_grey

I'm concerned about a friend of mine who is currently doing Cambridge diet.
She has been following CD for 5 months now and has only been on plan for 1.5 weeks for the whole time. Every time her body is just about to hit ketosis she eats carbs and gets knocked out.

Her consultant doesn't seem to mind as she knows she has no will power whatsoever ever. BUT after doing it for so long she has only lost 1.5 stone. As well as spending out a small fortune to do this.

Is there any health issues with this process of your body preparing for ketosis then having a huge carb overload for one day and then going back on the plan?

In my eyes it's not the sort of diet to mess around with.

Has anyone got any advise or views on this as I feel the councillor is not saying anything so I feel it's time I spoke up.

Thanks,

Lou

I don't know if it's physically bad for you but it's definitely financially bad for you!

Sounds to me as if this diet is definitely not for her and perhaps the consultant is taking the mick a bit to not sit her down and tell her this, just wants her to keep on buying the products...

Surely a consultant shouldn't be expected to tell someone to stop the diet if the only problem - and it is a big one, sure - is that the person keeps cheating? There are tons of peeps on here who keep cheating! I was one of them lol but I got there in the end.

It is up to your friend, she is the one deciding to continue with the diet. If she is unhappy I am sure she will stop.

I went on eventually from CD to Atkins and never looked back but for some a VLCD is the only thing that works and they rely on it. I agree it is expensive but that is not the consultant's fault either! Your friend is the one in the driving seat. It is what she wants that counts here.

She may be better off on a different diet but she has to make that decision. All the best to you both x

I understand what you're saying, is doing this putting a strain on her liver or kidneys? I don't know if using up the glycogen and then putting it all back again so quickly is harmful - perhaps one of the ladies who are CDC's could help you.

From the point of view of health..... there's no real signficant impact on health, but quite a big impact on your friend's wallet.

She has lost weight, but tbh she could have done it differently and with less money.

However, she is the one spending the money and she is the one who keeps doing it. As a friend, you won't receive any thanks by telling her that she's silly etc... But you may earn a little Kudos if you support her and advise on keeping her on the straight and narrow, and helping her to meet her goals.

She has to come to the conclusion that this diet isn't for her, and by supporting her... she may come to that conclusion sooner rather than later! (bit of reverse psychology!)

Back