can anyone advise??

SLACK ALICE

Silver Member
Im asking for some advice here friends
I am a real worrier- I cant help it .
If I smell something and it smells kinda ok and everyone says its fine and we all eat it ...
my mind will tell me within 10 seconds that I have got major food poisoning or something!! cant help it ,
its just the way I am...
anyway what I need advice about is - sweetener-granulated ones.

I have been using tesco own brand and Im sure that I have read somewhere that as it contains aspertum (sorry about spelling). That it turns into formaldyhide?

or is this if it is heated to a very high temperature??
confused .
I have bought some splenda which doesnt say it contains aspertum, but again cos i am a worrier i had some on my weetabix this
morning and after about 10 mins I had a sort of belly ache ... or was it in my head ??
is this stuff safe or is there a site I can go to and find out ???
just a bit concerned thats all

must admit, I use either Splenda or Canderel as I know they're free. I've not had a problem with either of them. Ask your Consultant - she might know

I have a bad reaction to sweetner and now do my best to avoid it,there lots on the internet about the dangers of cooking with aspartemene but think splenda ok,but I dont trust any of it now,its in everything,maybe you just had an overload,I choose to use honey or syrup and count the syns.

There's been a lot of bad press about aspartame. It's not surprising considering it was originally invented as rat poison! Most diet products contain aspartame, and I try not to have it very often. I use splenda on my cereals etc.

Generally the horror stories are started by someone who has read about the effects of something if taken in really high doses and panic about it. Take apple pips, they are cyanide and eating half a tea cup full of pips WILL kill you. But who's going to eat half a tea cup full of apple pips? Apples are healthy and shouldn't be avoided and some people even eat the pips and never get ill from it!

If it was that dangerous it would be banned

Generally the horror stories are started by someone who has read about the effects of something if taken in really high doses and panic about it. Take apple pips, they are cyanide and eating half a tea cup full of pips WILL kill you. But who's going to eat half a tea cup full of apple pips? Apples are healthy and shouldn't be avoided and some people even eat the pips and never get ill from it!

If it was that dangerous it would be banned

Thanxs for that info taz ..LOL
I have eaten pips in the past.. you just munch 'em dont ya ? LOL
wont be munching them now .. LOL

wot am I like ???

Slack, if you were to avoid everything that contained stuff that COULD cause harm in large quantities then you'd never eat or drink again! Pips are fine if you are just having the ones in the apple you are eating as the body can deal with it and process it as necessary. It's the high quantity that your liver can't handle

I use the tesco granulated sweetener...I dunno if it's the same one but it's in a large jar with a red label and lid...

There are scare stories about heating it and it becoming toxic. Have a look on the side. There's a disclaimer about the aspartame and heating it. If it wasn't ok to use, they wouldn't be able to put that on the label! Surely! And as Taz says, everything in moderation is fine. Anything to ridiculous excesses might kill you...!

You need to work on that food paranoia hun....it's not doing you any good!

Back