Can anyone explain my slow weight loss?

Moli

Hi I started 14 days ago and had my first weigh in after 5 days. I lost 4lbs which I was happy with. On my 2nd weigh in on Saturday (7 days after the first) the scales only showed a 2lbs loss!!! My scales said 4 lbs but I have to go by my cdc's scales. I'm on SS+ and have stuck to it 100%. I was poorly last week and took paracetamol each day and my CDC seems to think this could have had an effect. Has anyone else heard of this? I'm getting a bit disheartened when I read of all the huge looses on here and can't understand why I'm not getting them. I'm just hoping for 3 or 4lb this week to bring me back to a steady loss. I hate the fact I'm not losing very much when I'm being so good on it. Any advice or help would be great xx

Sometimes your body can just protest for a while before letting go of the additional fluids and 'weight'.
You may need to up your water intake in order to stop your body from retaining it (it sounds counter intuitive, but I assure you that taking more in means you retain less!)
The other thing you may want to consider is measuring yourself to see if you've gotten any smaller (bit hard to get a starting point now, but still worth doing for the future).
The scales can be a bit of a false profit in regards to fat loss.... the measurement of success, should be more than that... but, that's where we are.
Hope that helps a bit :)

Hi

My cdc has sadi this to me before about paracetamol, apparently that makes you retain water in itself, she always suggested aspirin, as long as you are safe to take as an alternative.

Try not to get disheartened, sometimes as alipali says it takes a while for our bodies to give up the fluid, and hobestly if you are being 100% you cannot not lose weight!!

Keep it up and good luck

Le xx

Don't lose faith, I know it is hard when you see the big losses people get every week, I was disappointed with my 4.5lb loss for a first week on a VLCD but I had to remind myself that I had been on low calories just before starting the vlcd so I was unlikely to get the 9/10/11lb+ losses that people get. Up your water intake (I must take note of that myself) and hopefully soon you will see the scales going down, down, down. Good luck and stay strong it will all be worth it in the end.

Thanks girls that's great advice. I will try to drink more water, I have my 4 pints plus what goes into the shakes and then approx 3 cups of black coffee. I have lost 2 inches from my bust 2 from waist and 1 from hips so I'm shrinking in that way lol. Will hopefully get a better loss this week! Thanks again, your support means a lot xxx

I notice that some of the slimmers on here drink up to 3 or 4 litres of water a day...I'm trying to increase my fluid intake cos I'm sure it makes a difference but it's difficult with my job as I do a lot of driving..

Soluble paracetamol contains salt - a heads up to anyone who takes the soluble form - and as Cambridge is relatively low in salt, the additional salt could cause water retention. Ordinary capsule/tablet version paracetamol doesn't and I couldn't find any references to it making you retain water (I didn't search for too long mind :)). My guess is that the illness you were suffering from is actually the real culprit for water retention, rather than the paracetamol itself. Usually when you're poorly something's inflamed, be it your gut, your throat, your nose - you get the picture. Inflammation by its very nature makes something swell and the mechanism for swelling involves, you've guessed it, water.

Once you're properly mended, that additional water weight will soon go. Hope you're feeling better this week x

Ah that's great Lily, thanks so much for taking the time to look that up and reply! I'm feeling better this week so hoping that will show at my weigh in. I'm struggling to take in more water though, is 4 pints enough? The book recommends it and my CDC says that as I'm only 5ft that should be enough for me... Lol. Just curious as to why a lot of the lovely ladies on here drink so much more? Am I limiting the weight loss do you think? xx

4 pints is plenty, don't worry, and that's why Cambridge Head Office recommend that amount. You'll hear some folks say that 'the more you drink the more you shrink' but there's no evidence that's true at all and drinking to excess can be detrimental to your health. Aim for the four pints then drink according to thirst - no need to force yourself to drink more. Though it's worth remembering that when you feel hungry a glass of water will often make that hungry feeling go away.

You're probably drinking more than 4 pints if you're also having tea, coffee and extra water in your shakes too.

Soluble paracetamol contains salt - a heads up to anyone who takes the soluble form - and as Cambridge is relatively low in salt, the additional salt could cause water retention. Ordinary capsule/tablet version paracetamol doesn't and I couldn't find any references to it making you retain water (I didn't search for too long mind :)). My guess is that the illness you were suffering from is actually the real culprit for water retention, rather than the paracetamol itself. Usually when you're poorly something's inflamed, be it your gut, your throat, your nose - you get the picture. Inflammation by its very nature makes something swell and the mechanism for swelling involves, you've guessed it, water.

Once you're properly mended, that additional water weight will soon go. Hope you're feeling better this week x

Ah, Lily
Hope you don't mind but I just wanted to say how lovely I think your comments always are. I love your positivity and encouragement & I know that it makes a difference to me as I'm sure it does to everyone else too. Hope you're having a good day flower xx

Ah, Lily
Hope you don't mind but I just wanted to say how lovely I think your comments always are. I love your positivity and encouragement & I know that it makes a difference to me as I'm sure it does to everyone else too. Hope you're having a good day flower xx

And so say all of us!!! I've been around here quite a while now back and forward and Lily is AMAZING!

:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you x

Scooterchick! :bighug: You're back? How are you doing?

You should also remember that you don't have that much to lose, Moli (compared to some) so proportionately you are doing well regardless of whether you have water retention from paracetemol - 6lbs in two weeks is great and if you were 16 stone that would be roughly equivalent to a 9lbs loss, 20 stone, a 12lbs loss etc etc. The bigger you are to start, generally, the more you will lose in the first weeks of dieting. And if you were pigging out to start with, especially on carbs or alcohol, again you'll shed loads the first weeks. However, if you were eating more 'normally' to start with, you shouldn't expect the same losses as some newbies.

Aww thanks Sophie, that makes more sense when you put it like that! Xx

Back