Can CD ever stop working for some people?

KD, is it ok to jump plans say from ss to the 800 cal one? Just asking as we have a friend on thread who does not live in Uk, and her CDC said that there was no ss+. Will that affect her in any way as I am a little worried. A jump of 350 cals is quite harsh isn't it?

Oh Nikkie you are too sweet :flowers:! Hope KD can give some input on the matter!

KD, is it ok to jump plans say from ss to the 800 cal one? Just asking as we have a friend on thread who does not live in Uk, and her CDC said that there was no ss+. Will that affect her in any way as I am a little worried. A jump of 350 cals is quite harsh isn't it?

SS to 800 is fine too. When I was doing CD, we had to jump from SS (3 shakes for me) to 790 every 5th week. There was no SS+ in them days...sigh

But KD, isnt the reason for stepping up every 12 weeks (or 5 weeks as it used to be) to reduce the risk of losing lean muscle mass?

No, not really. That applies more to the 810 when BMI25 rule. The 13th week of 810 is because that is what the NICE guidelines recommend. My thoughts are that they recommend this because little research has been done on people staying on a VLCD for longer. After all, it's a darn expensive project to test...making sure people are 100% VLCD for 12 weeks in a row.

I also think that it's the maximum anyone should go without tasting 'normal' food. The very maximum. It's so easy to become food phobic.

re:this is what happens in famine mode, because there is no more fat for the body to burn so it turns to the lean muscle?
In famine (or starvation) mode, too much lean mass goes in comparison to fat. There's still usually some fat there though.

The metabolism slows...but still not enough for a VLCD not to work. Also the amount of protein in CD helps prevent it anyway.

Why would it turn to lean muscle otherwise?
Not sure what you mean by this. Why would what turn to lean muscle?

Hey Broxi, I would stay stick with CD - there is no way you cannot NOT lose on such a low calorie diet. I'm sure you'll have a bigger loss next week, sometimes our bodies need time to adjust etc! Lots of things effect losses, eg stress, lack of sleep, water retention (your TOTM, not drinking enough water etc), I have slow losses on SS but it's still coming off, and I'm quite near a healthy BMI now so perhaps that is what it is.
I think you should stick with it, and if you feel your metabolism needs a kick then try going onto SS+ every few weeks!

Good luck on your weight loss journey :) xxx

will all the different diets you have done hun, maybe you just need to pick one and stick with it more long term....CD is guarenteed to make you lose weight hun....if your 100% then you cant NOT lose!
20lbs in 4 weeks is FABULOUS and no other diet on this earth would help you lose that!
Please stick with it.....just dont be so focused on the scales, because you may still be losing inches so maybe take your measurements now and then re-do in a month!
I would prefer to be 25 stone and a size 10 than size 20 weighing 10 stone!
:)
xxx

stick with it broxi. i had iffy weeks when i lost a little despite being 100% then i would follow it with a large loss.

Thanks everyone for all your kind support. I am going to stick with it. I think I was worried it wouldn't work but KD explained to me that it MUST work so I must just be having a plateau. I have found the actual diet much easier this week and my food cravings have gone for the first time. I'm just so paranoid about dieting because of all my past failures even although I've stuck to plan. But with KD and everyone else telling me the weight has got to come off on this then I will happily continue. And I am delighted with my weight loss so far, but just didn't want it to end there as still want to lose another 2-3 stones. Thanks again everyone, I certainly couldn't do this diet without you lot! xxx

Back