Can I go it alone?

jalousie

Hi, like many people, I desperately need to get a grip with my ridiculous eating habits.
I love the thought of SW because it offers a balanced diet (low carb was always my diet of choice, only to fall spectacularly by the wayside), and I need to cater for my sweet tooth and not deny it.
I've just read May's mag cover to cover, I have some SW books from last year that were given to me and I've been looking at the online subscription.

Hadn't finished and pressed something and there it was !:rolleyes:
As I was saying....There is a load of support on here, when I logged in there were 93 viewing!! Do you think I
need the online subscription as well?
Any successful SWers out there who could offer some advice I'd be really grateful.
Love these boards, have had them saved to faves for a long time and often pop in and 'lurk'.
Thanks for any advice :)
J x

Welcome. Lots of people on here don't attend a group. If you have all the info then there's no reason not to try it alone, is there a reason you'd rather not go to group? Personally I need the group to keep me going but I don't have alot of willpower.:8855:

Good luck:)

Well I've only done 3 weeks of SW, but I'm going it alone hun and I'm finding it to be fine! These forums are a fantastic source of support and information - people are always to ready to help out with questions, or even with just moral support :) I've bought loads of recipe books off Ebay, and I made sure I bought the starter pack and food directory off the internet, because together with the support on here I think that will be enough to help me lose weight. As I'm still learning I'm still working out which foods give me a good weight loss, and those that don't, but I definitely think it's possible to go it alone :) xx

I did SW on my own for well over a year and a half as I simply couldnt afford to go to a class...now that I can though and I must admit that I had missed it. I have made more friends and love to share their journeys as well as my own.
When I did the plan on my own I didnt find it a struggle at all.....however, I find that you do have to be more disciplined, as there is no "threat" of standing on a scales in a class. It is more easier to have a weekend off plan if you are not totally committed. It can be done though Hun and putting it this way...if I could do it, anyone can!
Good luck!

x

I totally think you can - like Mrs V I think that you have to be committed, and this forum is a super source of support as Dudette says.

I have to go it alone atm primarily due to finances, but its going well and I'm taking charge!

You can do it anyway that suits - class, online, or alone. It just needs you to take control and begin.

Good luck! :)

I think it all boils down to personality!! Personally, I'm someone who NEEDS the group support, the banter, the pressure, and to feel 'involved' to keep me motivated!! For me, it needs to be an event that I work myself up for once a week!! I kept telling myself for years that I would go it alone 'one of these days' but that day never arrived, so I knew I had to take action BIG TIME!! I also know that when I get to target I will have to continue to go to class every week and get weighed! I'm the 'weigher' in my group anyway so I'll just continue doing that! I wish I was the kind of person who had the strength, discipline and willpower to go it alone, but unfortunately I haven't, which I suppose is why I have found myself in my 'larger' situation in the first place! Good luck with whichever route you decide to take hun! I must also add that if you do go 'solo', Minimins is a fantastic place to come and chat and exchange words of support!! I get a lot out of this forum!!XXX

Last edited:
WOW! How amazing are you guys?:D
You are already inspiring me with the confidence to go this alone.
Thank you so much for your prompt and really helpful replies.
I will check my books Dudette and see what I've got and what would be helpful to have, thanks for that.
Lovely L; I'm just not great with the group thing, although some of my friends in the village where I live have a weigh-in every week (we all do our own thing), it is more to support each other really.
And Mrs V! I could seriously use some of your discipline and dedication to weight loss!
Thank you again, I look forward to learning more from you and others who post here, and I will let you know how I'm getting on too!
J x

You made the right decision with SW :)

I'm going it alone because there are no SW classes in the States, and my books are presently somewhere mid-Atlantic (in fact, they should be getting here any day now...). The other ladies are absolutely right, you have to be SO much more disciplined to do this without a weekly class, but I've found this forum to be an absolutely amazing support network. Everyone is lovely, and had tons of great advice, and there are simply masses of great ideas and recipes for meals etc. If I could afford it, I would join online simply to get the up to date syns calculator (although I'm not sure how much help that would actually be to me over here) but I've been fine without it. In fact, not having a syns calculator has made me keep things simpler--I eat tons of fresh, free food, simply because I know it's free and I keep the processed stuff to a bare minimum. Three weeks, and half a stone in, I feel fabulous and am eating better than I have for years.

Welcome aboard the good ship SW :D bound for Slimland :D (Sorry for the Saturday morning cheesiness, couldn't resist)

Maybe if you are slightly apprehensive about going it alone you could make the weighin a ritual. In that it is on the same time on the same day. Perhaps you could use the scales at your local Boots to get the print outs to keep. Maybe something different to work towards rather than just jumping on the bathroom scales on a monday morning!

Great advice from Mr Gilbo, rather than hoping on and off the scales all week (which is more likely to get you down as it fluctuates) try and make it a big deal, something to look forward to. I know it sounds sad but I spend all Monday and Tuesday really excited for my class.:8855:

Maybe if you are slightly apprehensive about going it alone you could make the weighin a ritual. In that it is on the same time on the same day. Perhaps you could use the scales at your local Boots to get the print outs to keep. Maybe something different to work towards rather than just jumping on the bathroom scales on a monday morning!

Yes this is a really really good idea!! LIke I was saying about working myself up for the 'event' once a week, you could create your own 'event' and it is best to weigh on the same day/at the same time each week if you can because we can fluctuate soooo much over the course of 7 days!X

i agree about going and getting weighed at boots or somewhere like that! pick a day and time you can always do and make that your weigh day!!
my hubby doesnt go to class(i do and love it) but he weighs in every tuesday morning on the scales our local morrisons pharmacy have...it costs 40p and he keeps the print out.
for him this makes it as much of a weigh day as my class on monday.

Thanks...all really good advice.
The weigh-in I have with friends is on a weekday morning, and always same scales, same time every week. I think this would be a good place to record the weight loss.
I am keen to start eating properly and not faddily. I have two daughters and I have a responsibility to them to be 'healthy' in attitude as well as what I prepare for us as a family. I really realte to what you said Sally Cin about eating well...lots of fresh fruit and veg and steering clear of the processed stuff.

I am going it alone too. I've been to class in the past and I can see why people find it good support. I can't really afford it this time round so I'm using my old books and this website for support.

So far I've not come off the rails, but I definitely agree its more about your mind set and personality. I've tried it at home before and its been a nightmare. I knew I could have a bad week and no WI and then tell myself that I'd start again next week...which never happened. This time though it's different and my mindset has changed. There are no excuses and because of my determination this time, I'm finding doing it at home fine.

This site does help so much though. Its brilliant to get recipe ideas and tips from fellow SWers

I am going it alone too. I've been to class in the past and I can see why people find it good support. I can't really afford it this time round so I'm using my old books and this website for support.

So far I've not come off the rails, but I definitely agree its more about your mind set and personality. I've tried it at home before and its been a nightmare. I knew I could have a bad week and no WI and then tell myself that I'd start again next week...which never happened. This time though it's different and my mindset has changed. There are no excuses and because of my determination this time, I'm finding doing it at home fine.

This site does help so much though. Its brilliant to get recipe ideas and tips from fellow SWers

Have you guys come accross www.slimmingeats.com yet? Really amazing SW compatible recipes and great ideas!X

Why not join one of the on-line teams on here? That way you also have somewhere to register your weight-loss, as well as having 'group' support.

I've been doing SW alone from home since the start, and I'm almost at target.

It can be done - but I think you definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to do it from home without support of a SW group. From reading some posts on here SW online doesn't sound too good for the price you pay - I know there are people on here who do and like it though.

Good luck in what you decide to do - SW is a fantastic lifestyle change that truly works. I wish I started earlier!

Hi there, i do SW at home without class but i find the support and advice on here invaluable. I have lost 11lbs so far and still wanna lose another 2 stone 3lbs which i am sure i will do with the great recipes, syn advice and updates. Other members who do attend class are always posting new healthy extras and tips they pick up so you should be fine.

I have recently started a food diary on here too, and other members always point you in the right direction if you go wayward.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, we all know you can do and are here to help.

Back