can it be done

lesserme

shrinking granny
I have to give up smoking.:(

My fear is, the weight will come back on.

Has anyone given up smoking and stayed on plan.

Any ideas / advise welcome

I personally didn't smoke but my cousin did when she started with SW and she tried giving up before many times but was frightened of putting on weight - she has given up now (1 year now) and she found that doing SW plan actually helped! She swapped the ciggies for strawberries (which is a speed food) and every time she felt the "urge" she had a few strawberries! She even sucked on frozen ones as they lasted longer AND she has got down to her target (3stone gone) - so YES it CAN be done - Best o'luck'n'stuff

hi, i've stopped smoking for 9 months now. i put on 8lbs but i wasn't doing SW at the time. i think doing the plan will help as you'll be focussing on your eating plan and it can take your mind off the smoking. I kept grapes in the freezer so i didn't reach for the biscuits! Good luck, it's the best thing i've done (was my 100th attempt!) x

Thank you, I have an appointment today and am gonna ask the Dr to prescribe the nicotine patches.

As I said I'm worried about the weght gain.
My hubby gave up 3 yrs ago and has gained 2 stone

He was 9st then and is 11st now but, I must say he looks well for it as he was too skinny

Me on the other hand :rolleyes: enough said :cool:

Hiya - I am off to the stop smoking group at 1pm today - I tried while I was doing SW but it wasn't working for me, now I am at target though I have decided to try again, I am asking for the gum, patches & the inhalator - sounds extreme but I think I miss the 'going for a smoke' more than the nicotine personally, I am also stocking up plenty of fresh fruit, muller light yoghurts & chupa chup lollies (they are about 2.5 syns each), I am hoping that it works this time round, I am worried about gaining weight though but as we are on SW and you can eat as much as you want then I reckon any gains would be pretty minimal.

Good luck - I hope it works for you!

well this is my 1st smoke free day :)

I decided to start off on a new week and I knew that today I wouldn't have too much stress.

Stuck the patch on this morning and took myself off for some retail therapy...........
I treated myself to new smaller :D sized clothes :D:D:D

mood OK so far, have not over eaten and sticking to plan. Cor I hope I can keep off the ciggys and not put on weight.

I gave up whilst doing SW, and I must admit I did put on 7lbs ina bout 3 months. I was not unhappy about this though, and di lose it nagain, and some more. I pigged out on sunflower seeds. Not smoking was woth half a stone, especially when you know you can get it off again once you're OK.

Lynda

Hi I choose to be a nonsmoker two weeks ago now at least £84 richer hehe. I am doing CD and have had a difficult week... however I believe this is due to moving up the plans rather than nicotine withdrawal.

I used Alan Carr.... Easyway to stop smoking book... so much more successful for me than previous attempts using patches.

Boots currently have a twelve week programme.... if you get free prescriptions for nicotine replacement therapy don't cost anything as they write the script. If not then pay £9 and get a 3/4 month prepaid certificate and sign up....it will save you a fortune. Have also heard that the inhalator is good too.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how you get on!

AMxx

Good luck! Think how you'll be able to taste your food, avoid wrinkles round your mouth, and save a fortune into the bargain!

i quit smoking last october, so will be a year next month. I was on plan and didnt gain a pound. Its difficult but putting on weight isnt an excuse not to do it, you can and you will. Just be prepared and eat lots of free foods.. and don't deny yourself that bit of chocolate if you need it.. better than another fag. x

Hi. I gave up smoking about 2 years ago, then started again about 4-5 months ago, but I have stopped now. You need to make sure that you don't have all the bad food in your house. Find things you like that are free, or low syns, and stock up. If your trying to kick a habbit like smoking I found I did eat more, more so out of boredom. What u need to remember is that after 2 weeks the nicotene is out of your body, so there is no PHYSICAL reason why you would be wanting one....it's more the habbit, and as long as you make sure you have lots of yummy free foods to munch on, that should keep you busy!

Good luck. It is hard, but it can be done, and you will feel so much better about 2 months after you stop. I felt like I could actually get a proper lung full of air, and it feels great not to be the weak person who gets dragged out into the rain and the cold to have a fag! I always have a sneaky smile to myself as I walk past the smokers now, knowing I am not 100% controlled by that!

Also try the free NHS support. I tried so many times to give up on my own, and you do it so much better with support....a bit like weight loss I guess!!

Good luck! :D

Hiya -

I'm a non-smoker and always have been, so I cannot help in the advice stakes regarding losses/gains after quitting.

But in my honest opinion - a few lbs gained Vs healthier lungs...

...clear winner really isn't it? You have shown you can lose the weight - and you will lose anything you may gain (if any).

Go for it - my Mum has been 'stopping' since I was a kid. I hate seeing and hearing her coughing her guts up and I fear if I ever have kids she won't see them if she gets sick.

I'd rather have a cuddly Mum than no Mum.

Good luck xxx

I quit in October last year and but nearly 1 1/2 stones on :eek:

I wasn't on SW at the time, i actually joined SW to get it off.

I think if i had been following the eating plan back then i wouldnt have put the weight on because i could have picked at free food rather than all the naughty stuff i was eating instead!

I think you will be fine if you give u[p because if you do turn to food, just make sure its free or superfree - happy days!

thank you all for the support
hugs.gif

day 2 over, when I felt that I wanted a ciggy, I had a drink of water instead. well thats one way of getting the fluid intake up

Well done lesser me!

Well done! Thats great....keep going with that! :D

I *finally* managed to stop 3 weeks ago. Thank god. I've actually found it easier to stick to plan since I stopped - I think I was so stressed about my smoking and my inability to control it, now I've stopped the stress has all gone and I don't want to eat as much!

Keep strong, good luck to you. :)

Back