Can not exercise when I have a period? Help!

xMariex

Silver Member
I get very heavy painful periods. I am on painkillers from the doctor they help me to not be crying with it being so painful. I used to faint and be up all night with the pain. With the pills I am still in alot of pain not crying out pain but enough to be awake all night and very sore all day.
I know light exercise helps but for a few days I really am in agony so much so the doctor said in my case its not a good idea.Generally I swim 4-5 times a week but I can not when I have a period because it hurts so bad.
Have you guys got any advice I do not want to put on loads of weight every 4 weeks. I usually weigh more at the time because of water retention but I m scared that afterwards I will put on weight because I wont have exercised?

Sounds horrible :(
Best thing you can do is to get your head round that you aren't REALLY putting on loads of weight every four weeks xx
And go back to your doctor to let him/her know that your periods are still very much impacting on your life, and that really shouldn't be the case x

they sound exactly like my periods used to be :( i feel your pain.
dont know if its something you will consider, but i had to get the impalon implant to calm them down. the pain reduced so much too...
they used to make me faint before i had this implant put in.

If you cannot exercise, another idea which may make you feel better is to reduce your calories on your normal 'exercise' days. For instance, if you normally eat 1800 a day and do a 300 calorie workout, then on the days you miss exercise eat 1500 calories instead? Honestly, i don't think missing a few exercise sessions each month is going to make much difference to your loss, perhaps less than 0.5lbs at most in lost loss for that week, it is the water retention that is the problem.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I will ask my GP next time I am there about a implant. I know part of the problem is the PCOS, my periods used to be irregular in fact I was diagnosed after getting tests because I did not have a period for over a year.
I was so happy they were regular now but careful what you wish for I guess because the pain is terrible. The doctor wants to try me on these tablets for a bit first so I will have to endure before I go back. My mother apprently had the same problems (she does not really have a weight issue though) and told me it gets better after having a baby. I do want kids but I wonder how much of that was her wanting another grandchild lol.

Aw hun I feel your pain. Ive recently stopped taking the pill and am having all manner of problems with my monthlies now! Could you try going back to the doctors?

As long as youre still exercising and eating healthy for the rest of the month, I doubt a week of rest would cause that much of a problem. Could you maybe even factor in some more gentle exercise, perhaps a 20 min walk instead of what you would usually do? I hate exercise at my TOTM but it does help relax me at the same time

Back