Can someone explain how Slimmer of the week works please.

Does anyone else think it seems a bit unfair that slimmer of the week goes to those with the biggest loss that week.

Unfortunately not everyones metabolism results in big losses, so some may continously lose a small amount each week and therefore not get recognised for their hard work and motivation, when they have probably been just as focused as someone who experiences big losses all the time.

I've never really thought about it like this but now you mention it, yes I agree, it is quite unfair. No wonder I never win it, I don't have 'loads' to lose and I lose in tiny bits!

FWIW, I never thought I'd win SOW or SOM as I didn't have much to lose and was doing it so slowly but I managed to win both (just the once).

I think it helped that my group is quite small but I also think that, especially with SOM, slow and steady can sometimes win the day - I was only averaging 1.5 to 2lb a week when I won the awards but because I was consistent, it paid off.

I completely get what you mean about it being easier for people with lots to lose to win the awards but for me, I see the flip-side being that maybe they need/deserve them more because their road is going to be so much longer.

Cheers
Vicky

Our SOTW goes to the same person every week who doesn't have any healthy extras or syns, and eats the same 3 meals day in day out.
zzzzz.

It's a bit of fun. It's normally a basket of "on the turn" fruit.
You win SOTW if you have the biggest loss that week providing you lost or maintained the week before and it is not your first wiegh in.
You must stay to group to get the basket of "goodies" otherwise you get you certificate the following week and the basket gets raffled off.
The PDA decides who is SOTW so the consultant shouldn't get it wrong.

I don't really know why people are so fussed about it to be honest!

it took me 40 weeks to finally get SOTW - i nearly cried!!! i get excited over small stickers too much!!! x

I think it would be too complicated to base it on whoever lost the biggest percentage of their body weight - though I see what you are getting at.

Someone 20st overweight will always win SOTW v people with 20lb to lose. Or at least they should do.

Having said that, as it is all done by PDA now, perhaps it wouldn't be so difficult?

I don't really mean the biggest loser, but surely a consultant can keep track of how well her members are doing. I just think it would be more encouraging if slimmer of the week was designated for other reasons. Like say someone had struggled to lose any weight for weeks despite sticking to plan, but then one week really went back to basic and saw a nice loss. It would be great for slimmer of the week to go to things like that too, and not just biggest losers etc.

I think it becomes too much of a competition and not enough motivation if they are just giving it to the person who has lost the most weight every week and weight loss should never be about competition as that is unhealthy in my eyes.

Sorry I am waffling a bit now, but hope you get the gist.

Lovely idea Britmum, but then I can see people saying they didn't agree with the consultant's choice and it always goes to the same person and groups are too cliquey.....

Maybe me just being cynical but SOTW is just a bit of fun surely? I think it would be best if they did away with it!

Lovely idea Britmum, but then I can see people saying they didn't agree with the consultant's choice and it always goes to the same person and groups are too cliquey.....

Maybe me just being cynical but SOTW is just a bit of fun surely? I think it would be best if they did away with it!

I can see how SOTW might be a bit yawnsome and the same same to some, but it is part of the meeting and praise in any form is what helps some people stay motivated, otherwise why bother going to meetings at all? Okay SOTW is just a small part of it, but I just think that recognising only those with the big losses is not a good avenue to take.

So maybe yes they should just get rid of it and come up with something better, where everyone gets included.

Can I just say that I don't find it yawnsome or the same thing each week. I have no issue at all with SOTW, I just don't see the fuss with it - if the same person wins each week then good on them. The larger ladies/men will get smaller eventually and then someone else can win!
We have some large people in my group and they don't always lose large amounts, they have off weeks too.

It may only be a bit of fun to you.....but for some 'winning' SOTW can really spur them on and maybe make the difference to having a good or a bad week the following week.
I am not competative in the slightist, but some people are....its there for a reason....but its not necessarily fair?

For me, the opportunity to celebrate these harder to quantify successes (but equally if not more important) suggested by Britmum are what Image Therapy is all about. If you've had a crappy week, you can laugh or cry about it with people who understand and if you've had a good week/month based on whatever feels good to you, everyone cheers you on and you can feel rightly proud of yourself.

SOW is another sticker (and my goodness, how I do love my stickers!) and I can see how making it a percentage could definitely be a way forward assuming all groups are electronic with PDAs but whatever official awards are given, they'd have to have very clear objective rules around them to make them seem fair.

And I wouldn't like to see SOW or SOM go as, even though I've got a pretty low chance of winning them, I like that I can go every week and even if I've got no chance of getting a numbered-weight-lost sticker, I might be coming home with a SOW or SOM sticker.

Vicky
xx

Back