Can someone explain?

KBQueen

Yummy Mummy in the making
I started SW last Monday and havent lost any weight. I havent used my syns each day and the bad thing I did was drink several glasses of red wine at the weekend. I figured that the wine was the reason for not losing anything but have since read that not using your syns can stop you losing weight. How does that work? I'm very confused :confused::confused:

Your body needs all the things that SW tells you to have, thats why they are part of the plan. Your syns will give you synergy and they will stop you from denying yourself things that you really want.
Also, if you do not eat enough, your body may go into panic mode and store everything to ensure you dont waste away.
My advice to you would be to eat as much free food as you can, have all your HE's and use your syns. You will see it said a lot on here about how people havnt eaten enough and havnt lost weight!!!

For my first 5-6 weeks on SW I ate no syns thinking surely I'd do better as Im not eating the 'extra food' that isn't necessary. After this time my weightloss stopped & when I spoke to my consultant she said I if you don't have your syns you're not doing SW 100%. By trial & error I now know that I can only have full syns 2 days a week but thats just with me. Up your syns & see how it goes. Having syns also makes you feel like you're not missing out as you can treat yourself without the guilt!!

I eat buttloads and have lost in the past up to 8lb in a week. It's less now but I have less to lose so I guess it's slowing a little.

I have been at the same point as you though, shaking my head thinking 'I can't eat all this' You CAN!! But make sure it's of the right things, you aren't approximating your HEXs and you aren't guessing syns. This, and your red wine intake at the weekend might tell you where you've been going wrong.

If you've gone from eating loads of food to eating one chicken breast and one lettuce leaf for dinner, your body won't know what's hit it and will go into shock!

Hun, for the love of this diet, EAT!!! I promise it will work.

Are you going to class or weighing at home?

Definitely not using your syns will hinder your weight loss. Sounds mad, but it's true! Have your full allowance each week (105 syns) and that way if you ever hit a plateau you will be able to drop your syns a bit and start losing again.

I used to be a firm believer in the - if you dont need it, dont use it brigade...that was until someone pointed out that when you reach target, you reduce your syns...well, if you dont use any to begin with, there is nothing there to reduce.
Have syns Hun, even if its just 5 a day.

Discuss it with your consultant and ask her for a food diary. She will be able to see at a glance where things need tweaking.

I thought about that last night. I was about an hour from going to bed completely synless then realised not only had I gone three days without chocolate, I hadn't really missed it at all!

So I had a mini bag of chocolate fingers and felt better about myself :D

I used to be a firm believer in the - if you dont need it, dont use it brigade...that was until someone pointed out that when you reach target, you reduce your syns...well, if you dont use any to begin with, there is nothing there to reduce.
Have syns Hun, even if its just 5 a day.

But you don't reduce your syns when you get to target. To maintain you continue to follow the standard SW plan but have more healthy extras. When you think about it, it would be an odd plan that rewards you for getting to target by saying you can have fewer treats!

But reducing syns can be an option if you plateau at some point in your weight loss journey.

Thank you for explaining everyone, I am easily confused :eek:

I will happily use my syns now :D

Back