Green Days Can veggies really lose weight on SW?

kaikouramonkey

I am a WW convert to SW and i'm a veggie so am doing Green Plan. I dont think I understand it fully as i think i'm eating too much carbs and therefore not losing weight or when i do its VERY slow! Can other veggies out there give me an idea of how much weight they've lost and in what timeframe? and what you're eating!! (not much then!? :D)

i dont think i'm eating more types of carbs but because i keep hearing you can eat as much as you like i probably eat too much of them!! i think i need to do a bit of portion control but wondered what other people eat? i have allocated amount of cereal for brekkie, jacket spud with beans and salad for lunch and then pasta or rice based dinner - so it's carbs all day long!

kaikouramonkey are you a vegan or a veggie? If you are a veggie, there are absolutely loads of recipes out there that don't involve carbs at all.... Slimming World Quiche is one, which is really lovely. You can have that with a salad. Omlette's are another which also is a very quick lunch or dinner.

I think the best thing you can do is this, eat until you are full but not overfull so if you want your carbs you can still have them!

Hi there :D

I'm in a similar situation to you...I'm a veggie and have recently come back to SW from WW.

I did SW at online last year and managed to lose over 2 1/2 stone. My weight loss was about 1-1.5lb a week which seemed so slow to me (even though I know its a healthy rate at which to lose weight). This year I tried WW and just couldn't get to grips with it...I kept losing and gaining the same half a stone and so I have come back to SW as I know it works for me (however slowly!).

I eat a lot of carbs as well, and I think this is part of the reason for my slow loss. I have a lot of weight to lose (at least 6 stone) so I think that I will need to maybe manage my portion sizes a bit better as I get nearer to my target.

One thing I do try to do is to drink plenty of water as this makes a massive difference to my appetite.

I also try and do some exercise as this seems to make or break whether I lose weight or not in a week; if I don't exercise, I don't usually lose any weight!

I am proof however that you can eat loads of carbs and still lose weight :D

xxx

What do you define as slow weight loss firstly?

Secondly, yes vegetarians can lose weight on SW. I not veggie but I do a lot of green days although I eat a lot of beans and pulses as well as pasta and potatoes - I'm a big fan of bean chilli and rice or a butterbean and tomato stew with vegetables.

I do weigh pasta though, but only because I would cook mountains of it otherwise, I allow 100g dried weight - a generous measure but it's fine!!

Just try to have lots of vegetables too.

my best friend does SW and is a pescatarian (sp!!) which means she is veggie but eats fish, and she has lost 3 stone since December!!! so it is possible.

Have a look at Food Diary section for meal ideas - a lot of green days on there!

x

Hiya - when I did SW the first time round I lost 3 stone in just over 3 months doing just green days. I'd eat loads of pasta and jackets etc so eating carbs doesn't stop you losing weight, good luck x

Oh - meant to say, only eat when you are hungry, I sometimes fall into the trap of having a mugshot just as I have one in the house / bored etc, not because I'm hungry x

Well Im a veggie and if you take a look at the numbers on the left you'll see that you certainly can lose weight on SW.

I think the questions the others have raised are key.

Firstly what have your losses been? Are the really slow or is it just that your expectations are too high?

Secondly what are you eating? Are your meals based around carbs or fruit/vegetables? I have carbs at pretty much every meal, although I do not have the same one more than once a day. However my meals are packed with veggies - think along the lines of EE and made sure you have a minimum one third superfree foods as this helps with the carb portion control. I also have wholegrain versions of carbs rather than white as these are more filling - you eat less and they keep you satisfied for longer.

Look at introducing more of the other green foods into your meals instead of relying on pasta, rice and potatoes - what about lentils, pulses, quorn or other meat substitutes, cous cous, quinoa and bulgher wheat?

Last edited:
I'm veggie and doing the green plan. I lost 3lb the first week and 1lb the following 2 weeks. I'm not sure how much is to do with the diet though as I haven't had any alcohol since I started the diet and feel that it's stopping the alcohol that's made me lose weight, rather than the diet. :sigh: Would have expected to lose more considering the amount of alcohol I used to consume!! :eek:

im veggie and ive lost 17lbs in 10 weeks , and ive found sw more of a lifestyle change than a diet, on an average day .... measure breakfast cereal ,and add fruit and ff yoghurt, wholemeal roll made into two mini pizza's and salad, quorn spag bol and spaghetti, for pud id have a huge bowl of defrosted frozen fruit with a vanilla yoghurt,

also i have to excercise or like this week i gained (1st time) 1hr aquafit x2 and 40 swimming x2 and lots of walking :)
hope you get the results you want from sw x

i thought you could eat plenty of carbs on slimming world?

obviously within reason, not a bag full of the stuff a day.

anyway a big bowl of pasta to me is a hell of a lot better than a chinese takeaway or fish and chips.. which is what i would normally have eaten.

my best friend does SW and is a pescatarian (sp!!) which means she is veggie but eats fish, and she has lost 3 stone since December!!! so it is possible.

Have a look at Food Diary section for meal ideas - a lot of green days on there!

x

WOW! 3 Stone since december, thats amazing! I did slimming world before xmas and found as a veggie i was eating lots of carbs and not losing weight very quick! Maybe ii will try again tho and vary my diet a bit!

i thought you could eat plenty of carbs on slimming world?

obviously within reason, not a bag full of the stuff a day.

anyway a big bowl of pasta to me is a hell of a lot better than a chinese takeaway or fish and chips.. which is what i would normally have eaten.

this is what i thought as the consultant of my old group used to say 'you could eat a chole bucket of jacket potatoes and beans if you wanted'. However in my first week i managed to put on weight! Now i cant seem to get my head round doing it on my own, so might have to re-join a class! Wish they sold 'will power' at the supermarket!!!!!haha!!!

Hi I'm not veggie but i tend to have green days 99% of the time and only have the occasional ee day when i want a chinese take away (to save on the syns- whoop whoop!)

It took me about 9 months to get to target, I lost 1 stone 8lbs. the first 2 weeks i lost 2 lbs then it was half lbs all the way to target with the occasional gain :/

so u can loose weight on slimming world and eats carbs too!!! I often laugh to my self when i see the shocked faces at lunch in uni when im tucking into jacket spud with beans and pasta and salad!!! :)
I am the carb queen :)

I'm a vegetarian and I lose about 1-2 lbs per week. I agree, it can seem slow, but it's going in the right direction, and any loss is a good loss!

My boyfriend isn't vegetarian but he's also lost a fair bit of weight since we moved in together and he's been accidently eating SW meals! He's converted now, and is doing Green days with me. And has lost a good amount too!

I am a veggie and lost 5.5stones in 7.5 months so it's definitely doable! I stocked up on speed foods and lots of veggies with every meal. I also had lots of yogurts as snacks. Do make sure you do vary your meals though and you quickly get used to what your body can cope with as weveryone's slightly different. I also had a lot of quorn based meals which were in fact low carb. I could only get away with pasta a couple of times a week being honest but everyone's diff. I did eat a lot of potatoes though but often with speed foods. Varying your food is the main key to success though. x

Back