Can you ever "cure" comfort eating?

goingtobeskinnysoon

Silver Member
Might sound a strange question to some but SW has made me look at why I eat and comfort eating is my biggest problem. I lost a family member suddenly 2 weeks ago which was devastating and the first thing I did was drop SW and comfort eat and today is the first day ive stopped. Not wine, not cigarettes, but food. Just because it made me feel better. And yes, I know plenty of ppl comfort eat and stick to SW friendly foods but has anyone managed to actually break the link? To not fall back on food when things get tough? Could really do with some help x

Im sorry for your loss. I dont have a magic answer to this I think everyone has their own times and reasons when we turn to food for comfort,I dont really If Im upset I dont want food. I do hope you feel better soon x

So sorry for your loss. Food has always been a good friend and enemy to me. I always turn to food for comfort when I'm feeling sad or down. You don't want something healthy when you're feeling that way out neither, you want stodge and something comforting. I have found new comfort foods in fish pie.. and stews and things like that. OR.. Find something else that you enjoy doing to pull you out the habit. I have recently re-discovered swimming and I love it, especially when I've had a bad day at work. It gives you time on your own to reflect and think. The thing about comfort eating is that it makes you feel better whilst your eating, as soon as you stop eating then the guilt comes (that's if you're anything like me, that is) then you feel worse than you did to start with. I turned to food in a big way when I lost my Mum when I was 19.. Surround yourself with people that love you hun. That's what will get you through. Food will make you feel worse in the long run xx Easier said than done, I know x

Back