Can you over do it on 1/3rd Free?

Cheekypasterfield

Rather comfy here
Evening All,

Just a quick question..... I'm trying to make a real effort with my 1/3rd free to the point that I've got into the habit of making it more like 1/2 of my plate

This has led me to worry that I might be over doing it and could lead to being a gain through too much veg/fruit

I never come away stuffed, it's very rare for me to over eat meals (my weight gain has been due to too many treats)

My typical day with super free is

B) HEB porridge with 1 banana and handful of blueberries

L) Ham, HEB Ryvitas and salad (Lots of lettuce, 1/2 red onion, 7 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 pepper)

D) Meat with 2 large carrots, 1 courgette, 1/2 pepper, 1/2 onion, 6 mushrooms, 6 cherry tomatoes.

S) Apple, Grapes and Pineapple and my syns

This is my first proper week with full focus so I can't gauge it with a result.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm really trying to make all the right choices and would hate to gain simply because I've been too good ha ha ha

Thank you x

Last edited:
As long as you're not having bigger and bigger plates to fit all the 1/3 free on (and as a result, overeat the 2/3 free), you should be ok :)

Thank you for replying :-D

My plate is the same and most of the time now I'm not bothering with carbs ie potatoes because after my veg and meat I haven't got any space left on my plate lol

Thanks about the tip for fruit, I'll bare that in mind.

Least I know I'm getting my 5 a day in lol

There was an interesting prof in radio 4 about government health messages. The five a day thing is actually supposed to be veg, not fruit... But the nutritionist said they were not going to tell people not to eat fruit.

The actual number is country specific. In Greece it is 8.

You are eating a healthy Greek diet! ;)

I tend to eat a lot more fruit and leafy salad than veg :eek: guilty as charged xx But at least I know I will not be suffering from scurvy in a hurry

Nobody ever got fat from eating too much f&v, but if its filling half of your plate, is the other half increasing too? It might just be that your portion size is increasing to compensate for the increased veg. I know my plates sometimes look ridiculously large even though its mostly veg but I convince myself it's all healthy when really it's not healthy portion control.

hey sorry this isn't a response to the original poster but I have a question kinda along the same lines.

This morning I had a whole small honeydew melon for breakfast and thought I was doing really well by having a load of superfree but when I put it in myfitnesspal where I record my food diary it says theres about 400 calories in it.

Now I'm confused. I thought I was doing well but I normally only have around 200 calories for breakfast do you think this will affect my weight loss?

hey sorry this isn't a response to the original poster but I have a question kinda along the same lines.

This morning I had a whole small honeydew melon for breakfast and thought I was doing really well by having a load of superfree but when I put it in myfitnesspal where I record my food diary it says theres about 400 calories in it.

Now I'm confused. I thought I was doing well but I normally only have around 200 calories for breakfast do you think this will affect my weight loss?

Don't forget that slimming world isn't about calories though. Of course it's fine for you to count them if you wish to, but slimming world isn't a calorie controlled plan, it's about food optimising and enjoying free foods which are low in fat and leave you feeling fuller for longer. As long as you are following the plan, eating until you are satisfied not full and having healthy extras and syns, don't worry about the calories, whether they are 4, or 400! :)

Don't forget that slimming world isn't about calories though. Of course it's fine for you to count them if you wish to, but slimming world isn't a calorie controlled plan, it's about food optimising and enjoying free foods which are low in fat and leave you feeling fuller for longer. As long as you are following the plan, eating until you are satisfied not full and having healthy extras and syns, don't worry about the calories, whether they are 4, or 400! :)

Personally I don't think you can over eat veg, its filling and low in calories.

Fruit can be a different matter.....for some. It contains sugar, albeit natural and some people definitely find it hinders weight loss.
Some fruits are better than others, I know grapes for example are higher than most fruits in sugar. But you will find SW reflects that, grapes are a free food but not a SS, whereas strawberries are a SS. So what I do is try to eat more SS fruit and limit the amount of fruit that is just free, it's all about balance

Nobody ever got fat from eating too much f&v, but if its filling half of your plate, is the other half increasing too? It might just be that your portion size is increasing to compensate for the increased veg. I know my plates sometimes look ridiculously large even though its mostly veg but I convince myself it's all healthy when really it's not healthy portion control.

Thank you for all your replies.

My other half of my plate hasnt increased in someways its reducee. I have standard size protein or carb regardless and I can honestly say 100% that my portion size is generally right. I've just adjusted the quantities.

We will see if it worked tomorrow lol

Wow that's a great loss! On a typical day ill have a banana, pear, satsumas, strawberries & a grapefruit. Most evenings ill have veg with my tea to include courgettes, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn etc. Never touched the stuff before I joined, feel so much better for my diet now. Really does make a difference inside & out.

Back