Extra Easy Can you overdose on rice?

I've been enjoying having rice for lunch at work, with a topping of tuna, or chicken or turkey.. toppings of which are all syn free.

I'm wondering though if theres a reason against eating rice five days a week? like will it stall my weight loss?

I use microwavable rice, so account for around 2 to 3 syns for the oil in the packets.

As rice is a free food I don't see how eating it everyday should effect your weight loss, if you are counting the syns correctly for the packets. However you would be so much better off making your own plain boiled rice. No syns, no oils, it tastes a hell of a lot better, so much cheaper and it's probably better for you. And there will be no confusion!

can you reheat rice? so if i made it in the morning or overnight could i take it to work and reheat it? or does rice taste okay cold? was thinking of mixing mixed beans in with it for chicken, rice and beans

Yes you can reheat rice. But you should cool it quickly (1 hour) and store in fridge until reheated thoroughly. Well that's the official advice (search NHS choices for the gory details), but I often reheat rice or eat it cold and have never suffered.

If you have access to a microwave what about one of these microwave rice cookers you can get? I use one and it is awesome. My one came from pampered chef, but Lakeland do them too. Just measure rice and water, select the time and there you go. Much cheaper and nicer than the pouches, so it will pay for itself in no time. And you can try different types (wild rice is yummy). White rice takes 15mins, so might upset other microwave users!

Yes you can reheat rice. But you should cool it quickly (1 hour) and store in fridge until reheated thoroughly. Well that's the official advice (search NHS choices for the gory details), but I often reheat rice or eat it cold and have never suffered.

If you have access to a microwave what about one of these microwave rice cookers you can get? I use one and it is awesome. My one came from pampered chef, but Lakeland do them too. Just measure rice and water, select the time and there you go. Much cheaper and nicer than the pouches, so it will pay for itself in no time. And you can try different types (wild rice is yummy). White rice takes 15mins, so might upset other microwave users!

I use one of those microwave rice cookers at home and use dried rice, I just made slimming world chilli tonight for dinner and had white rice done properly rather than the microwave sachets. only downside is the rice takes 15 minutes to cook, and I only get a half hour for lunch. but taking in cold rice might be a good idea, I've saved some of the chilli to take to work tomorrow

Back