Can't afford to continue CD.. what now? PLEASE HELP ME

How did the interview go??

xxxx

try no carbs, in my second month i am definately goin to be having 3 packs a day and then my meal, which will be just pure fish and alot of grilled chicken, i know its not as quick as CD but my brother has been doing this diet for around 2 months and he has lost 2 stone, gud luck xx

How did the interview go??

xxxx

It went well thank you for asking :) Unfortunately no shifts available that I can fit around the children and hubby getting home from work on time BUT I think it is very likely that a suitable shift will come up soon, fingers crossed anyway.
xxxx

Thanks Steve, I see exactly where you are coming from with GI, I have read through my book and you are right, you have to be very logical about it - obviously carrots are "good" and chocolate "not so good"!! I will pop to the library and find a book about GL and have a look at that too then, sounds as though it is pretty similar.

It's all so blooming confusing though, perhaps I should just do WW points, I know WW inside out and I always ate sooo healthily doing it.

AAARGH!!!!

Harmy.. while I am sort of in-between I am basically doing a no-carb very healthy eating plan which includes 2 CD packs a day. I am eating lots of good protein, salad and veg. I can't believe I had never tasted cottage cheese before doing this! It's absolutely gorgeous!!!!

I really appreciate all your comments and support by the way, you really are a great bunch - THANK YOU! xx

Fingers crossed Sarah and just stay focussed and you will lose the rest of the weight easily. And the good thing is most of the big slimming groups (ww, sw) have websites so you don't have to go to classes.

Irene xx

Hey sarah, before you get a part time job, just make sure your tax credits arent too affected and make sure you update them with extra income, you dont want to be lumbered with a big overpayment that you have to pay back:eek:just a reminder.

I think that if your on a budget, just have half the portion or a kids portion of the normal food you give to your husband and kids everyday, that way you are eating less and not spending money on 'extra' healthy foods, at the end of the day, if your eating the same as everyone else but less you'll find that you'll lose weight anyway.

You may find having a part time job will make you hungrier, with having abreak you'll find yourself eating in your break like everyone else, I dont think a part time job is neccessily the answer, if you are looking for cheap pressies for crimbo, Ive just bought some crimbo pressies from boots, they are doing their great 3 for 2 offer again, and I think its such great value.

Anyway good luck
GG:jelous:

Me too

Hi - know how you feel, I'm a stay at home Mum at the moment but like yourself need to bring in a few extra pennies - friend of mine suggested leaflet stuffing easy to do, doesn't take you out of your home & can be done at any spare moment. Just ask about either in your local job centre or phone companies you know of (look in yellow pages). Mind you this is not everyones cup of tea!
I am lucky for the time being as my Dad is paying for a couple of months of this diet for me as he is scared I am heading the same way as my Mum was - Bless!!!!!
xx
Good luck in whatever you do

shame

its a shame u might have to give up, ut as someone said work out what u would spend on food and see if u can carry on with this. even if u can only afford 2 shakes a day and then a low cal meal. i wish u all the best whatever u choose..:party0011:...

CD isn't rocket science, its just low carb, low fat food.
If you count the calories, the weight will come off marginally quicker, but the important thing is to not have too many carbs in order to stay in ketosis.
If you buy food that is low carb (most animal products except milk, leafy salad) you should be able to stay in ketosis quite happily.
If you believe the hype, take vitamin and fibre supplements too.
The only real advantage that the Cambridge diet has is that it takes the maths out of the equation, and you get a councillor, there's no 'magic' in the shakes.

Fair enough, I wasn't criticising the CD whatsoever. As a perfectly engineered system to put the body into ketosis and keep it healthy it works very well, indeed I recommended it to a friend just the other day. It wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for a lot of people.
I do however insist that there is not as much involved in doing this type of diet as they would have you believe. With CD, you are paying for the convenience and support, and I think that it is worth the money.
Unfortunately, the post was about not being able to afford to do CD, and the suggestions of getting part time work or a paper round to finance it struck me as being a little sinister.
With careful planning, there is no reason why someone could not follow a low carb diet on a low budget.

After reading your latest post Doctorbeat I am glad I deleted my earlier response to you. It appears you more or less guessed what my reply said. I typed in haste and got all defensive about CD hence the delete! I agree with your last post and I can see your point :)

Mocha

I did read it before you deleted it.
I think you raised some good points, and nutrition is a fine balance.
For instance, vitamin supplements aren't always what they appear to be. Just because a product contains 100% RDA of a vitamin doesn't necessarily mean that it will be fully absorbed by the body.
Let's face it, our bodies aren't built to absorb concentrated nutrients in a short time, and no supplement (including CD) is going to be a perfect substitute for a balanced diet.
A 'home brew' low carb diet doesn't necessarily mean less effective nutrition.
The Cambridge diet is fantastic for people who can afford it because it cuts out the guesswork, but there are alternatives for someone on a tighter budget.

P.S. Don't tell her I told you, but Pippa's doing really well. We went to a party last night and the pub tonight and she didn't bat an eyelid.
I would have folded within 5 minutes :D

My friend is starting SS tomorrow, I'll point her in the direction of this forum.

Well done to Pippa! She must have strong willpower :) Good luck to your friend with her start on CD!

Bedtime for me now, I should have gone hours ago! I need to be up in 3 hours to set off on holiday:)

I am Mocha and I am a minimins addict :p

Goodnight doctorbeat, sleep well

Talking about me again james? I caught you! ;)

He's right, just found out i've lost 11lb in my first week which i'm quite pleased with :)

on the subject of the original thread, I'm sorry you cant afford to continue (it isn't cheap after all) and i do believe the suggestions of getting another job to fund the Cambridge diet is, as james said "a bit sinister". Not to mention unrealistic. If anything, it makes it sound like more of a cult than a diet!
I wish you luck, but don't stress about it too much. I funds are proving difficult but you really want to continue CD, maybe you could buy enough shakes to have 1 or 2 day and have a carb free meal or 2 a day. If you're sensible with the calorie intake i dont see any reason as to why you couldn't continue to lose weight.

Good luck

Back