Can't lose the weight I've put on since I quit smoking

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Hi there,

Some of you may remember me on here...I haven't really posted much in a while as to be honest I've just been too fed up to post...since I quit smoking 11 months ago I've put on 2.5 stone of the 5.5 stone I lost :(

No matter what I do I can't seem to lose the weight, and it's just creeping up and up. I feel fat and frumpy again, which probably doesn't help my mental state for slimming. Since I gave up smoking I have had the worst cravings for all things sweet...biscuits, chocolate and especially cake. These cravings are by far the worst cravings I've had, far worse than any cravings I ever had for the cigarettes! :(

I just don't know what to do to be honest. I'm fed up of my nice clothes feeling tight on me, and I've gone back to lacking in confidence, exactly as I was before losing weight. :cry:

I also had a Mirena coil put in over a year ago, so I don't know whether that's affecting things (even though I know several people on here have lost weight successfully with the coil - so that's probably just an excuse).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start shifting this weight? It sometimes makes me wish I hadn't given up smoking, even though I know I'm probably far healthier for giving up.

Sian xx

First of all congratulations for stopping smoking!
I think everyone puts on weight when they first quit,I know I did and it took probably about a year or more to sort myself out.
It is hard trying to find something to substitute the cigs, even now five years later i sometimes still feel i 'need' something after a meal (it's not a bad craving now so i can ignore it).
I found eating citrus fruit really helped with the cravings and gave me a 'hit' of something sweet. I know how hard it is but if you leave the cravings for a few minutes they WILL go away.
Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself x

Hi there,

Some of you may remember me on here...I haven't really posted much in a while as to be honest I've just been too fed up to post...since I quit smoking 11 months ago I've put on 2.5 stone of the 5.5 stone I lost :(

No matter what I do I can't seem to lose the weight, and it's just creeping up and up. I feel fat and frumpy again, which probably doesn't help my mental state for slimming. Since I gave up smoking I have had the worst cravings for all things sweet...biscuits, chocolate and especially cake. These cravings are by far the worst cravings I've had, far worse than any cravings I ever had for the cigarettes! :(

I just don't know what to do to be honest. I'm fed up of my nice clothes feeling tight on me, and I've gone back to lacking in confidence, exactly as I was before losing weight. :cry:

I also had a Mirena coil put in over a year ago, so I don't know whether that's affecting things (even though I know several people on here have lost weight successfully with the coil - so that's probably just an excuse).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start shifting this weight? It sometimes makes me wish I hadn't given up smoking, even though I know I'm probably far healthier for giving up.

Sian xx

Hi Sian !!!! I could never forget you chica !!!!

My only suggestion for what it is worth is to buy yourself some low calorie cereal bars, you can now get fudge, chocolate etc. That craving for something sweet needs to be fulfilled but you can do it sensible.
Are you back on SW ?? If you are syn some of the weight watchers desert products. You know I am great advocate of Options drinks for a chocolate craving. I mix it into natural yogurt, leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours, an oh yummy, it makes a jolly good job of replacing chocolate mousse.
I too have slipped and after getting to target have put the lot back on and need to get to grips with my eating. I don't even have the excuse you have......................
lots of love and hugs xxxxxxxxxx

dudette2001uk said:
Hi there,

Sian xx

I could have written this post almost to the last pound lol. I lost 5 stone last year then quit smoking!! Came back to dieting three stone heavier :( I'm 11 months smoke free too lol. Ive just had to accept that I'm starting again. I think SW is almost perfect for us ex smokers because even if you run out of syns and hex's you can still snack on SOMETHING if you need too!!!

My new fix is hard sweets. I still need two or three a day just to suck on if the cravings get me. I don't syn them as I buy very tiny ones like tictacs or some organic ones I found at 1/2 a syn a pop. I think if I syn them i'll just give myself a headache worrying about having them!!! Quitting smoking is really hard and a few tictacs a day won't hurt me but makes my life easier!!! So they are sort of a 'free' food in my head now.

I'd say approach the weightless like you did the quitting. Have a plan and a start date and go for it.

Last edited:
Hi Sian,
Sorry to hear you are a bit :( and that your giving up smoking has caused you to gain weight.
I was actually reading your old thread about giving up smoking the other day as I bit the bullet and quit myself (today is day 10 so its still early days and willpower/morale is dead high!!)

Have you tried just going back to basics and re educating yourself on the plan? Sometimes we can spend soo long doing something that our brains assume we know it all and we get stuck in that rut of eating the same thing, getting bored and then reaching for the naughties!

As for sweet stuff - mikado at half a syn each are great. Also the new hi fi light rocky road bars - OMG devine! I love them and bought another 2 boxes last night. As mentioned by Legomum tic tacs are great - 6 for 1/2 syn! and I found some really nice flavours the other day, Strawberry dream(?) and watermelon, both really nice.
You might want to NOT have something that will cause a dent in the syns though and maybe just try doing something that takes your mind off the craving for something sweet. There are so many things that can be used as a distraction tactic!

Try and remember how positive you were when you gave up smoking (your post's were what helped me to finally say RIGHT! STOP!!) and use that sense of willpower and determination to get back to losing weight and quitting the 'new bad habits'! xxx

Welcome back first of all you've come back to the right place but u don't need me to tell u that :). Youve already been given some pretty damn good advice all I would add is maybe to go back and write down why it was u wanted to lose weight in the first place write down all of your motivations and weigh that up against why u don't want to/why it's so hard to. I find that helps me when I've gone off track. Maybe do that for giving up smoking too if u carry on feeling as u are about that too. Also remind yourself of how far you've come your still keeping off 3 stone aren't u of what you lost which is amazing and you know you can do it so don't be so hard on yourself :) again I find the harder we are on ourselves and the more we tell Ourselves were useless the harder it becomes.

As for cravings I've recently discovered chocolate tea if your so inclined I find that helps take the edge of any cravings I have for sweet stuff x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've never given up smoking so can't really advise, but I just wanted to wish you well and hope you get back on track soon. We started at about the same time and I remember your 'milestones' happened around the same time as mine! Try to remember how good they all made you feel and don't let the cravings win, remember you're still 3 stone down and how great that is. Good on you for wanting to deal with it now, we're here to help wherever possible. Lots of luck and positive vibes heading your way xx

As for cravings I've recently discovered chocolate tea if your so inclined I find that helps take the edge of any cravings I have for sweet stuff x

Is that the Tesco one??? I am in the U.K. next week and my lovely sister has bought me some Tesco's black tea with chocolate and vanilla.
I am really looking forward to trying it for 2 reasons one being that Options drinks here are so expensive and also they will be a nice change. I thought I mifgt even try it as an iced tea drink.

Sorry about the hijack Sian, I know you will not mind lol !!!!

fillymum said:
Is that the Tesco one??? I am in the U.K. next week and my lovely sister has bought me some Tesco's black tea with chocolate and vanilla.
I am really looking forward to trying it for 2 reasons one being that Options drinks here are so expensive and also they will be a nice change. I thought I mifgt even try it as an iced tea drink.

Sorry about the hijack Sian, I know you will not mind lol !!!!

The one I've had is actually from the teapigs website but I've heard good things about the tesco one too. Hadn't thought about doing it as an iced tea tho thanks for that idea :)

I wondered where you'd gone Sian. Nice to see you back!. It's fab that you have cracked the smoking thing so give yourself a bit of credit girl.

I found I ate more when I gave up smoking so I used to buy bags of carrot sticks. They are good for you, but also a bit sweet so they helped with the cravings.

Or, maybe Mikados? A box is less than 15 syns & they are chocolate & biscuit all in one :)

Evening all! Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement...I've spent so long beating myself up for regaining weight that it's been hard to think of the positives. I'm always so humbled by the support everybody's so willing to give on this site...thank you all!

First of all congratulations for stopping smoking!
I think everyone puts on weight when they first quit,I know I did and it took probably about a year or more to sort myself out.
It is hard trying to find something to substitute the cigs, even now five years later i sometimes still feel i 'need' something after a meal (it's not a bad craving now so i can ignore it).
I found eating citrus fruit really helped with the cravings and gave me a 'hit' of something sweet. I know how hard it is but if you leave the cravings for a few minutes they WILL go away.
Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself x

Thanks you for the support, and also the advise about the citrus fruit. I shall definitely try upping my intake to see whether that makes a difference :) xx

Hi Sian !!!! I could never forget you chica !!!!

My only suggestion for what it is worth is to buy yourself some low calorie cereal bars, you can now get fudge, chocolate etc. That craving for something sweet needs to be fulfilled but you can do it sensible.
Are you back on SW ?? If you are syn some of the weight watchers desert products. You know I am great advocate of Options drinks for a chocolate craving. I mix it into natural yogurt, leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours, an oh yummy, it makes a jolly good job of replacing chocolate mousse.
I too have slipped and after getting to target have put the lot back on and need to get to grips with my eating. I don't even have the excuse you have......................
lots of love and hugs xxxxxxxxxx

Hiya Sue! Thank you for the support hun :) I am indeed back on SW...in fact I never really left. I guess I just haven't had my mind properly on following the plan. We've done it before though Sue, so we can both do it again...I'm up for the challenge if you are! :D xx

I could have written this post almost to the last pound lol. I lost 5 stone last year then quit smoking!! Came back to dieting three stone heavier :( I'm 11 months smoke free too lol. Ive just had to accept that I'm starting again. I think SW is almost perfect for us ex smokers because even if you run out of syns and hex's you can still snack on SOMETHING if you need too!!!

My new fix is hard sweets. I still need two or three a day just to suck on if the cravings get me. I don't syn them as I buy very tiny ones like tictacs or some organic ones I found at 1/2 a syn a pop. I think if I syn them i'll just give myself a headache worrying about having them!!! Quitting smoking is really hard and a few tictacs a day won't hurt me but makes my life easier!!! So they are sort of a 'free' food in my head now.

I'd say approach the weightless like you did the quitting. Have a plan and a start date and go for it.

Thanks for the support hun :) It's kind of scary how similar our two stories are, lol! I like the idea of the hard sweets - I'd forgotten about those! Have you tried the sugar free sweets from Aldi? They have butterscotch ones, fruit flavours, strawberries and cream and mint...I think I worked them out as 1 syn for 3. The butterscotch ones are yummy :) xx

Hi Sian,
Sorry to hear you are a bit :( and that your giving up smoking has caused you to gain weight.
I was actually reading your old thread about giving up smoking the other day as I bit the bullet and quit myself (today is day 10 so its still early days and willpower/morale is dead high!!)

Have you tried just going back to basics and re educating yourself on the plan? Sometimes we can spend soo long doing something that our brains assume we know it all and we get stuck in that rut of eating the same thing, getting bored and then reaching for the naughties!

As for sweet stuff - mikado at half a syn each are great. Also the new hi fi light rocky road bars - OMG devine! I love them and bought another 2 boxes last night. As mentioned by Legomum tic tacs are great - 6 for 1/2 syn! and I found some really nice flavours the other day, Strawberry dream(?) and watermelon, both really nice.
You might want to NOT have something that will cause a dent in the syns though and maybe just try doing something that takes your mind off the craving for something sweet. There are so many things that can be used as a distraction tactic!

Try and remember how positive you were when you gave up smoking (your post's were what helped me to finally say RIGHT! STOP!!) and use that sense of willpower and determination to get back to losing weight and quitting the 'new bad habits'! xxx

Hiya hun. Firstly, congratulations on giving up smoking! 10 days is fabulous - you're well on your way to half a month smoke-free! :D:D The time will soon fly by! I think going back to basics is something I need to do. having been doing this plan now for over years I've become complacent about everything, and often find myself making a lot of tweaks (if you can call not synning a large piece of cake a tweak ;)). I think I also need to go back to weighting my Hexs...I've become very naughty about that. Failing all that, I think I'm going to have to adopt taping my mouth up as a distraction technique, lol! :D xx

Welcome back first of all you've come back to the right place but u don't need me to tell u that :). Youve already been given some pretty damn good advice all I would add is maybe to go back and write down why it was u wanted to lose weight in the first place write down all of your motivations and weigh that up against why u don't want to/why it's so hard to. I find that helps me when I've gone off track. Maybe do that for giving up smoking too if u carry on feeling as u are about that too. Also remind yourself of how far you've come your still keeping off 3 stone aren't u of what you lost which is amazing and you know you can do it so don't be so hard on yourself :) again I find the harder we are on ourselves and the more we tell Ourselves were useless the harder it becomes.

Thank you for your support hun. Maybe writing down my motivations would be a good idea...it's not something I've ever done, but maybe it would help me to get back on track to see something written down in black and white :) Thanks for the idea! xx

I've never given up smoking so can't really advise, but I just wanted to wish you well and hope you get back on track soon. We started at about the same time and I remember your 'milestones' happened around the same time as mine! Try to remember how good they all made you feel and don't let the cravings win, remember you're still 3 stone down and how great that is. Good on you for wanting to deal with it now, we're here to help wherever possible. Lots of luck and positive vibes heading your way xx

Thank you for the luck and positive vibes hun...they're much appreciated! :D xx

Sian, if you can kick the smoking habit, you can kick any bad habit. And that's all your current eating is - a bad habit.
Love from
An ex-smoker of 12 years now

Wooo, 12 years smoke-free...massive round of applause to the lady! That's fabulous! :D Only another 11 years and I'll be at that point! Lol. I'd never really thought of my eating as a bad habit, but I guess it is. Hmmm...food for thought definitely! :) xx

I wondered where you'd gone Sian. Nice to see you back!. It's fab that you have cracked the smoking thing so give yourself a bit of credit girl.

I found I ate more when I gave up smoking so I used to buy bags of carrot sticks. They are good for you, but also a bit sweet so they helped with the cravings.

Or, maybe Mikados? A box is less than 15 syns & they are chocolate & biscuit all in one :)

Hiya hun! Mmmm, mikados...I haven't had them for ages as i can't limit myself to one or two :eek: I love them too much, lol! The carrot sticks is a great idea though...and they're something I could nibble on at school between lessons to keep me going (and they might help me to avoid the cake that always seems to be in the staff room!) xx

Hi Sian!
Im new on here, but I gave up smoking for new year, and since then put on half the weight i lost when i was on WW (hence joining SW for a change to restart my enthusiasm). I work with a load of smoking cessation advisors, and when i was putting on weight they told me that part of the problem is the psychological habit of repeatedly putting your hand to your mouth after a meal (or whenever you smoke). Hence why sweets are so attractive, because it replicated that habit of repeatedly putting something to your mouth. They told me to try sugarfree lollies, and i have to say it really worked! I hadnt thought that it was just the sort of routeine of smoking that was hard to get away from, and therefore the reason why i was overeating!

Congratulations on giving up smoking (I know its really tough!!). Dont know if anything i have said will help, but good luck! :) x

Hi Sian,
So good to see you again hun. Lots of good advice offered above so I can't really add more, but just wanted to say Hi and welcome back :)
Jay x

Back