Cant stop eating....

mjmummy

hello, i know it sounds bad, i just dont know when to stop eating i dont know when i am feeling full i just carry on.
i have so much weight to lose too, ideally around 7 stone but will still be classed as overweight then.
my husband can eat and eat and not gain a lb and i look massive against him, i really need to lose the weight but cant find the motivation to do it. i know i am my own fool because of this

Hi! What about trying to work out your calorie requirements and go from there? If you find out your bmr you can work out your calorie needs for a day to remain the same weight. You can find the tool to do this online. Then make sure you eat less than this amount whilst eating healthy foods and the weight loss should follow. Along with some gentle exercise you should see some results and eat what you need rather than what you feel like! Good luck.

Hi mjmummy! I know how you feel, I've been there myself! I also had 7st6lb to loose and my husband and I started dieting together. How can I compete when he looses a 1st in 3 weeks? Men (in general) do loose fat quicker than woman (I am no doctor so this is not a scientific fact, just my opinion) and usually they are more active than us?

I've tried all the diets out there including the dodgy ones (let's not go there) and the only one that seems to work and lets me eat as much as I want is Slimming World. It takes a while to get your head around it but you can literally eat as much as you want.

I just found that having someone tell me how much I can eat, how many handfulls, tbsp, tsp, of each food to eat just brought out the rebel in me. SW allows you to fill up and eat as much as you want of certain foods (most fruits and veg, pasta, low fat protien) and a controlled amount of bread/cereals, dairy products, sweets and crisps).

Good luck in finding something that works for you! xox

sorry. i am greedy. everyday i vow not to eat junk food. every day i fail..i also rarely feel full

i hate myself for over eating and having no self control

i am trying to look at the different diets here on minis and decide which one is best

yes i can find the thoughts of having to reduce my favourite junk foods is enough to give me a craving

i tried counselling and while it helped with my bulimia it hasn't cured my gluttony and my struggle to make myself eat healty food and reduce the junk food...i am also still desperately unhappy as i lost 1 stone 2004 but haven't lost any more[i need to lose at least 7 pound to be not medically overweight/ help my liver but would love to lose more[have a bmi of 20 ] ..i really hate myself
sorry for intrudeing

I watched a program recently about eating habits and it seems quite common not to recognise the symptoms until you are so overstuffed its painful.

You could try some of the tips they gave.....

Use smaller plates, if you have to eat a plateful and leave the plate clean then this might help. Just ban 2nd helpings.

Eat from blue plates, its apparently a natural appetite suppressant

Drink a glass of warm lemon water before your meal and have a large glass of water or low cal drinks with your meal, alternating a sip of drink with a forkful of food.

Eat very slowly, it can take 10 minutes before your brain gets the message that you are full so eating as slowly as possible gives your brain time to catch up with your stomach

Eat in the dark, sounds crazy but all the test subjects ate around 50% less when they couldn't see the food on their plate, they actually said that they recognised the feeling of being full for the first time instead of using an empty plate as an indicator.

Try them, you've nothing but weight to lose

CC

hi hun i too have tried every diet under the sun all of them work short term but i could not stick to them long term they just weren't do-able, i have done calorie counting but find it's a pain done w/w but didn't like counting the points and ate junk food cause i could then decided to try s/w again (was successful a few years ago on it) i love the fact that u don't have to count anything and that i don't have to be hungry. i am also greedy if i had dinner out and didn't get a big one i would almost cry lol if i went and bought a cake would ask for the largest one. i would eat until i felt sick,i have had a few blips along the way (3 days of them this week) but i think the crucial thing is to plan my food ahead and eat properly at each meal then hopefully i won't feel hungry and then won't feel the need to binge. good luck on losing the lbs :)

Well, the OP says that they can't stop eating and don't recognise when they are full.

I would say to start with this issue. Sounds as if food is not merely nutrition for you, but some kind of compulsion which has nothing to do with hunger.

I would start by eating the same foods you already eat, but...the key is to really concentrate on what you are eating, eat it slowly, savour it and notice what your body is telling you. You do have hunger/fullness signals, you have just forgotten how to notice them

I too am battling with constant binges, mainly when my husband is at work in the evenings. I find being at home so lonely to the point I get so bored that all I want to do is eat.

We can do this together. Put the focus onto not restricting anything from your diet at the moment but on maintaining three meals and three snacks a day.

Once the binges have gone the rest can be worked on. This is what I believe and where I am working towards. We can do this. Together!

For me a number of things helped:

1) Recognising it was my responsibility what I ate - not anyone else's. It was my choice.
2) Accepting that I am not like anyone else. Other people lose weight easily. Other people don't struggle with their eating. Other people can keep weight off easily. Well I can't so that's that.
3) Realising that ALL diets work if you stick to them
4) Always having a back up plan. If I get bored on one diet I shift to another one.
5) Not giving up. My mantra is 'just keep going.' If I fall off my plan I just get back on it.
6) Having a way to express my feelings when I'm stressed. i keep a blog which helps.

Hope one or more of these help.

TJ said:
i also have very big issues around food, i have been diagnosed as having binge eating disorder and can go for long periods of time where im 100% good and loose loads of weight but than at the flick of a switch something happens to upset me and i fall off the wagon in spectacular style. i have found its all or nothing for me in regards to many aspects of my life eating and food are just one of them. I am currently awaiting an assessment at my local eating disorders unit, but unfortunatly due the the fact that the nhs sees people with anorexia as a priority at the unit i have a 5 month wait to be seen !!

Hi I also have problems with food I have tried all sorts of things on the past yet on the end it is all in my mind. Good to speak to others who have the same problem. I thought joining this site would help

over the years i have gone from trying to not eat and then bingeing...i am still struggling to lose some weight and eat healthy big time but no longer have an eating disorder as such

sorry for barging in

good luck and happy new year

over the years i have gone from trying to not eat and then bingeing...i am still struggling to lose some weight and eat healthy big time but no longer have an eating disorder

Excuse me for saying so but I really can't work out why you would want to lose more weight! A few pounds over your ideal is not going to make such a lot of difference and perhaps if you concentrated on eating HEALTHILY for the sake of feeling better and aiding your body to assimilate your food faster, that would be a much better goal to attain. It sounds to me like you have emotional problems you should deal with. Whatever it is I do hope you get to some conclusion and enjoy the body you have as I am quite positive it is not as bad as you think it is....:)

over the years i have gone from trying to not eat and then bingeing...i am still struggling to lose some weight and eat healthy big time but no longer have an eating disorder as such

sorry for barging in

good luck and happy new year

Excuse me for saying so but I really can't work out why you would want to lose more weight! A few pounds over your ideal is not going to make such a lot of difference and perhaps if you concentrated on eating HEALTHILY for the sake of feeling better and aiding your body to assimilate your food faster, that would be a much better goal to attain. It sounds to me like you have emotional problems you should deal with. Whatever it is I do hope you get to some conclusion and enjoy the body you have as I am quite positive it is not as bad as you think it is....:)

I dont think its bad for this person to want to lose a bit more weight, after all the BMI she has set as a goal is not unreasonable by any means and is well within accepted limits. It must be difficult for her to admit to having had an eating disorder and she still has a bit of a weight issue to deal with.

Im sure we would ALL benefit from eating healthily, but if we did we wouldnt be in the position we find ourselves in with excess weight to lose.

A few lbs over ideal weight, is still a few lbs too many if you are unhappy about it.

Well said Lynn! I too am just over healthy BMI and I have back fat rolls (small ones but there none the less). Also a belly. Stupid, a reasonable aproach to achieve your goal. Good luck.

I dont think its bad for this person to want to lose a bit more weight, after all the BMI she has set as a goal is not unreasonable by any means and is well within accepted limits. It must be difficult for her to admit to having had an eating disorder and she still has a bit of a weight issue to deal with.

Im sure we would ALL benefit from eating healthily, but if we did we wouldnt be in the position we find ourselves in with excess weight to lose.

A few lbs over ideal weight, is still a few lbs too many if you are unhappy about it.

I think you may have gotten the wrong idea about what I was saying. I just felt that being over anxious about a few pounds could well end up being the thin end of the wedge that could make a person feel like giving up. That is why I thought suggesting concentrating on it from a different angle would help. I totally agree with your outlook on things.

I do wish you all the very best Stupid, and please accept my apology for having stated my case badly...:wave_cry:

One of my problems is to go all day without eating, 'til about 6pm, then eating high-fat, sugary foods to compensate for the nutrition I've missed out on during the day. I attribute this to oversleeping and lethargy ... It's a cycle of not eating for long periods of time, then eating lots of convenience foods to make up for it. :rolleyes:

OSCARIA, you have nailed your problem there. Eating a morning, mid and evening meal (just before you are too ravenous and over eat) is important because your body realises that you are nourishing and replenishing it. Eating once a day makes your body think food is scarce and holds on to everything you put into it.

What diet are you doing hun?

Emmaline, I interpreted it the wrong way too. It is hard without the voice and body language to properly interpret peoples messages all the time.

Bren
X

Back