Can't work out Slimming World...

tatty27

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum but I couldn't decide which was the most appropriate one for this thread...
I have just swapped to SW from WW because the propoints just wasn't working for me but I'm having a heck of a time trying to work out how to use it!

For example, there is a soup that I like to have for lunch most days, a beef and vegetable but it says it is 13 1/2 sins, for a soup! But it's ingredients are all things that are listed as free foods.

Another example, Birds Eye rice and veg steam bag is 3 1/2 sins and yet everything in it is listed as free, it's just rice and veg. That would mean that if I cooked them myself seperately I could eat as much of the ingredients as I want but if I buy the ready to microwave version I can only eat a fraction of the same ingredients :confused:

How am I expected to workout what the Syn values of my own recipes are if they are more mixed together than they are seperately?

And what gives about Extra easy, Original and Green? Can I really pick and choose which diet I want to follow that day?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I just can't get my head around this diet.

Where are you finding the syn values hun?
is the soup tinned/fresh soup? As on sw most tinned and fresh soup does have a syn value.
As for frozen vegetables they are syn free as long as there are no added butter or any garnish like that to them.

With ee, green and red....decide on what is best for you. For me I am not a big meat eater so tend to stick with green days, red is good if u like alot of meat and not so fussed about potatoes/pasta and ee is good if you like to combine both.
xxx

The syns are probably correct. Unless you are not selecting a free food when working the items out on a calculator.

How about making your own soups etc from the free foods list, that way you know they will definately be free.

Unlike Weight Watchers where there are many ready prepared items you can have for low points, Slimming World does focus on mainly making things from scratch. Tinned soups, unfortunately the vegetables etc added are not fresh, so you don't get the full health benefits from it and you will find there are many things added to preserve it, hence why they have syn values.

The steam veg and rice, may have some oil of some sort on it, hence why that again is not free.

It you can say which plan you think is going to suit you more, i.e. extra easy, original or green, then we can give you some advice to help you get starting.

Changing from one diet to another can be confusing, but trust me you will love Slimming World once you get used to it.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Are you looking at the detailed ingredients list in the small print on the back of the tin/package?

The soup may have one or more of the following: oil, butter (or other fat), cornflour, flour (or other thickener), cream, tomato puree - all of which have syns.

Are you sure that it is just rice and vegetables in the bag? Quite a lot of the rice pouches (Tilda, Uncle Ben's) have some oil in them to keep the rice separated.

Thanks to everyone for their answers and advice, sorry about the delay in answering though, I was dragged out shopping by the other half (for a car battery charger, oh joy).

I think I've got my head round why the points in ready made stuff is different but what is the part in the calculator where you have to select the green and original food allowance before you enter the amounts?

Thanks again

Oh, and one last question, is there a way to plan more than one day's meal, for example the week ahead. When I used WW I used to work out what we were having for the week ahead and use it to make my shopping list.

Thanks again

Just decide in advance what day you are going to do each day - I do EE all the time, whereas some people do different days each day. It's up to you!! Have a look at Capricorn's diary for some inspiration, or MrsWilsoncroft's meal plan for the next week to see what I mean. xx

Thanks so much for your help, I've ordered a new dairy from Amazon to write everything down :D

I think half of the problem is that I've been subconsciously converting everything into WW points, I guess it's a case of getting used to SW, I've got to because Propoints just isn't working :(

oh joy).

what is the part in the calculator where you have to select the green and original food allowance before you enter the amounts?

Thanks again

I would only use the calculator when a food is not listed online - makes life easier!

Assuming that they did not change it in the redesign - when you go to the syn calculator page there are drop down arrows where you select the free food allowance you want to apply - one for red and one for green - before you enter the nutritional details :)

Really you shouldn't have to be working out syns in foods/meals very often. The free foods list is huge and you can eat foods from that freely, without having to use any syns at all.

The only time you need to be working out the syns in food is when it is not something from the free foods list.

hello hun i have had the same problem too i started SW last wed and have always done ww in the past i did SW years ago but it was much different then the best advice someone on her said is to just forget every thing you know and start as a real newbie xx i have my first WI on wed cant wait x x hope it is good

Back