Car insurance scams??

Legomom

Gold Member
Think I'm being had. Actually. I know I am. Parked my car today. Came back ten minutes later and there's a chap loitering by my car...... claiming I've gone into his back end. Which was funny as there wasn't a car there when I parked!!!

A) I don't think they expected me back so quick and had planned to park in front of me, take a few pics then bugger off. They weren't happy to see me AT ALL and if I'd hit them when I parked surely they'd have stopped me THEN not later!??

B) he had his rough looking daughter with him yelling that she'd " be a witness daaaaaaaaaad" foul mouthed RUDE b**tch made my 7 yr old cry with her gobbyness.

C) he "claimed" he'd just had the bodywork done as its going back to the Mobility centre next week so I strongly suspect he's trying to avoid paying the hefty fees they charge when you take a car back with a scrape.

Then he had the cheek to accuse me of trying to con an elderly cripple!!! As I'm sat there with my dementia suffering gran (I was taking her to the bank as she's forgotten how to use the cashpoint again) my autistic son and my other two kids!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!! Some people have no SHAME. I didn't even know it was a mobility car till he started his wailing. I don't CARE if he has a mobility car. I'm not paying for a scuff I didn't even DO!!!!

Anyhoooooo.......any ideas what I do now :(

Mobility shouldnt charge for a scrape anyway...my friend has a mobility van for her disabled daughter, and everything is covered, thats the point of them, to take the cost out of running a vehicle and to make life easier for the disabled person.
Its awful they made your baba cry :( How horrid!!
Like ive just said in my other post, he needs evidence, and he dosnt have any. If youre really worried (which im sure you are) take it to the police and explain the situation and what happened, he might be known to them? They might have CCTV knocking about? They may be able to get someone may come forward as a viable witness? Although your 7yr old may well be in the running, 7yr olds arent stupid and tell it how it is, aslong as you dont prompt him and put words in his mouth, they could well take a statment from him aswell as you. Tell them everything and give them the reg number of his car (hope you got it on your camera) and if and when you get a call from an insurance company, explain that its in the hands of the police, or the police may give you advice. Even though it was a HORRID experience and totally undeserved, because you disturbed his scam, he may well not try and take it any further. Do you have enough syns left for a teensy little drink to calm your nerves? :) xx

No :( I fell head first into the toffee popcorn :( I'm ok now. Just got a banging headache. I'm going to ring my insurer tomorrow and explain everything. Then send them the pics I got. Only managed two before he drive off swearing but I got a close up of the scuff and a full pic of his rear end including the number plate. The scuff was horizontal and about five inches long but very thin? And just beneath his licence plate. Which is really low down.......There's NO way my Zafira would do that if it had rolled into him. It's a bigger car so the impact point would be higher and he'd more likely have a cracked plate. There's not a mark on my front bumper!!!

Seems like the last two weeks have been more stress filled than usual!!!

...thats because he did it himself, we know this ;) Yes, youve got a good plan there. The whole thing wont add up to an insurance company, and why would you take pics if you had gone into him, youd just pass your details on, so they'll know somethings not right.

Boo for stress :(

Oh dear, how awful, so how did he leave it, is he 'taking it further'.

My MiL has a mobility car & it is fully covered on insurance for any accidents, she has a very low excess as well.

Even though it's stressful right now I think you've done everything you possibly could. If he is putting a claim in he will need to specify what time it happened, you can prove you were in the bank at 'said' time & the bank will have CCTV.

Let us know how you get on.

I said on the other post but just want to say it again, they can prove which cars have caused certain scrapes and how by looking at them and you've said yourself that your car couldn't have caused the damage he's claiming it did. I do think speaking to your insurer and the police is a good idea though just so you know you've informed them that he may come forward before he does.

He sounds like a foul person, I'm sorry this all happened at all never mind in front of your little one and Gran, must have been scary for you all :( Hope all 3 of you are okay now and that your nerves are calmer

Ditto to Donnas post. Hope youre feeling ok today xx

Do you think he was after you just paying him without going through the insurance, he sounds like a complete prat . Good Luck to you!!!

Ditto Starlight - DON'T RING YOUR INSURANCE unless you hear from his insurance company. .Yours might log your call as 'an incident' whether there's a claim in the end or not & it could keep coming to bite you at your renewal anniversay (item on Watchdog a little while ago).

Let the police look into it - you'll always have the 'evidence' if it does rear it's head later.

My friend had a similar thing happen to her, but she had reversed into the car! We actually saw her just clip the car, but not enough to do any damage. The other driver was just walking back to her empty car when it happened. She put a claim in for damages to the opposite side of the car and for whiplash for herself, 2 kids and her mother!! She is now being investigated and will be charged with fraud! So don't worry, these scumbags will be caught!! Hope you have all recovered from your ordeal xxx

I work in insurance and see stuff like this ALOT!
what you need to do is see if theres cctv in the area and who owns it and get a copy of it before its wiped (normally kept for a few weeks)
You need to take pics of your vehicle showing there is no damage to it. dont be worrying that he will use his daughter/gob on legs as a witness it wont stand as shes known to him (unless happened in scotland, where a passenger in the vehicle can be used as a witness under scottish law.)
I would say maybe hang off reporting this to your insurer just yet (they will get in touch with you if he reports anything) and if they do get in touch then have your evidence ready (i.e pics, cctv etc)

did you give him your details at the scene?

hope this gets sorted for you soon x

Minimunchkins said:
Ditto Starlight - DON'T RING YOUR INSURANCE unless you hear from his insurance company. .Yours might log your call as 'an incident' whether there's a claim in the end or not & it could keep coming to bite you at your renewal anniversay (item on Watchdog a little while ago).

Let the police look into it - you'll always have the 'evidence' if it does rear it's head later.

To be honest if there's no injuries the police won't look into it. Contrary to popular belief the police will not apportion blame in a road accident

When i get my car am going to install two cameras one in the front and one in the back. could save you pennys in the long run.

These sound interesting....where would you get something like this from? The amount of time I have come back from gym/shopping etc to my car in the car park and it has new scratches or small dints is getting really annoying as it seems some people find it really hard to park between two white lines! So would love to find a way to see what is happening......

These sound interesting....where would you get something like this from? The amount of time I have come back from gym/shopping etc to my car in the car park and it has new scratches or small dints is getting really annoying as it seems some people find it really hard to park between two white lines! So would love to find a way to see what is happening......

You could use any video camera.
perferbly somthing small and well hidden from view.

Gopro with a carcharger seems like the route i will go down but not really decided yet.
contour would work also

but really any type of small camcorder with apporite mounting inside the car will do the job :crazy:

Oh man, I'm sorry Tina, that's so annoying!! I'd have slapped his gobby daughter! What happened in the end?

Mobility shouldnt charge for a scrape anyway...my friend has a mobility van for her disabled daughter, and everything is covered, thats the point of them, to take the cost out of running a vehicle and to make life easier for the disabled person.

Unfortunately not true, at all. They take they don't take the cost out of running a vehicle, they take your money for it, it's to make it easier for you but you don't get to have accidents and not pay for them. Go over the miles or cause any damage and you'll pay for it, heavily. Which is why my parents stopped having a mobility car for my sister after just one.

On the Internet I have seen a camera specially made to use in a vehicle for recording what is happening, you just mount it front or back or both, it had a memory card and gives about 1 hours recording and it wasn't to expensive!

Back