Carbs in exante

Starlight said:
Their losses aren't the same as VLCD losses though

There was someone did exante a while back who was very carb sensitive and was never in ketosis her losses were identical to the rest of us who were

You can't compare two people's weight losses though everyone is very different!
Ketosis is fat burning , in 3 days I've doubled my calories with cheese and chicken and still lost 5 1/2 lb! As we don't have glucose in our body to give us energy our bodies use the fat stores to give us energy fundamentally burning fat and losing lbs! I am under the belief that ketosis does aid weight loss xx

lost nearly 6 stone ... hoping to make it 7 :)

I think the problem is that our bodies are complex but we want simple answers. Too many calories and we gain weight, too few and we lose. We know generally speaking that is true, BUT it does matter where that weight comes from. Weight will go on faster on a high carb diet and come off faster on a low carb diet. Simple carbs produce more weight gain than complex carbs. Some of the additional weight with carbs is water, which attaches to the glycogen molecules, which is why if you come off a low carb plan too quickly you put on weight - water weight not fat. It's better not to eat too many carbs as your body can only store so much as glycogen the rest gets stored as fat, so if you eat a low calorie diet high in carbs you can still gain weight or not lose as much. A vlcd puts you in mild ketosis, but it relies mainly on the calorie deficit for you to lose weight, while controlling carbs to keep the weight loss more constant and yes they rely on ketosis controlling your appetite. On any diet you hope to burn fat, but if you have too many simple carbs your poor old system has to plough through that first before it gets to the fat. Different people metabolise carbs at different rates so some still lose weight quickly, but it does make sense that people in ketosis will be a bit quicker because their system can get right onto the fat molecules rather than muck about with glycogen first.

You can't compare two people's weight losses though everyone is very different!
Ketosis is fat burning , in 3 days I've doubled my calories with cheese and chicken and still lost 5 1/2 lb! As we don't have glucose in our body to give us energy our bodies use the fat stores to give us energy fundamentally burning fat and losing lbs! I am under the belief that ketosis does aid weight loss xx

You can compare to an extent but it wasnt comparing just 2 people... she was never in ketosis but still lost at least a stone a month so clearly ketosis wasnt the be all and end all to losing weight, her losses were bang on the average you can expect to lose. The poor soul was hungry a lot but put up with that. She wouldnt have expected any higher losses even in ketosis. Theres a lot of people on here who are in and out of ketosis all the time and their losses are still at the stone a month mark, you cant ask for better than that :)

Personally i think too many people get too hung up on ketosis.

Yes i agree and I don't like the word diet (sounds stupid I know lol) i just hate feeling hungry lol, can't deal with it! I can honestly say in the last 3 years I've been on a diet for prob about 1 year of them! IThe rest I just listen to my body eat what I want to eat and exercise!! I'm not a fan of SW ww or calorie counting (done them all ) and I think VLCD are good but only for short term and they have given me the boost I needed to lose weight. For me it teaches me I don't need all the kcal I'm consuming and never regained more than 5lbs ! Xx

I think more people in the health profession should read some of these posts....When you are confronted with shall we say a physiotherapist who is well qualified and almost certainly caring they will often say "ask your GP to refer you to a nutritionist who will give you a diet" does she not realise that people who have struggled with their weight are often more knowledgable about what to do than they are...you can see this all the time on here, you only have to read some of these lovely posts...it never ceases to amaze me how most of you know exactly why you are overweight and exactly what you have to do to lose the weight...its not as simple as giving people the knowledge its often like teaching a swimmer to swim THEY KNOW!!!!! its just doing it. Why oh why do we put ourselves through it sometimes again and again thats the question we need answering...

Just a quicky ..Because I spend a lot of time sitting because of my athritis I look on the web to see what diet was suggested to enable someone like me to lose weight...The one suggested was the stodgey stuff for breakfast a piece of a cooked bird or such like between 2 pieces of you know what for lunch and a bowl of tha italian stuff that you buy hard and dry and cook till soft....WHAT ...all those carbs I would be on that diet for ever....Sorry that would not work for me and it would make me feel bloated...High protein and very low carbs is the only answer...I wish I had the courage to tell them that I KNOW BEST!!!!

I agree - everyone is different so we should be able to say, 'no, this is what is best for me.' Statistical testing may show that 9 out of 10 people lose best this way, but me, I'm 1 out of 1 and I lose best this way :).

Back